Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson Andrew Mawson is offline

Default PTFE Gas Tape

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in

message

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message k...
Due to a slight 'administrative error' I now have 3 rolls of PTFE

gas tape.

Is this just the same as normal PTFE tape but thicker? OK for

general
plumbing use?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

I use it all the time in preference to the thinner stuff for gas,
compressed air and oils. Much easier, you only usually need one or

two
turns to make a sound joint.

But recently I've taken to Loctite 542 thread sealant which is
absolutely brilliant stuff - you can assemble threaded fittings

finger
tight pointing where you want them, and within minutes you get a

sound
seal and good mechanical fixing that can be undone later.

What is it like in parallel to parallel threads?

Very good - they say only use it on parallel threads up to 1/2" BSP
but I confess to using it up to 1" sucessfully on a 15Kw water chiller
recently.

AWEM