Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default ptfe on olives?

On 11 Jun 2021 at 08:21:37 BST, "fred" wrote:

On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 7:08:53 PM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
On 09/06/2021 08:37, fred wrote:
Anyone wrap olives in ptfe ?

No, it shouts of amateur.

Oddly, it was a pro I got the tip from. Long before newsnet.

I prefer to use any other lubricant if it is
necessary. Petroleum jelly if potable.

It's not acting as a lubricant. More of a sealer.

You've contradicted this statement below?

PTFE should be confined to threads IMHO.

The threads pay no part in sealing a compression fitting.

I meant threaded fittings and not compression fittings, such as taper
threads etc.

The question was about PTFE on an olive? Using it there helps the seal
between the ends of the threaded part that the olive bears on. It might
reduce friction too - but then I always tighten compression fittings till
they groan. ;-)

One of the times that ptfe on the thread of a compression fitting helps
- you are able to work much quieter without all the squeaking and
groaning :-)

(also good for restricted spaces which need short spanners, you can get
better tightening)
--
Cheers,

John.

So we are all agreed on this then ?
I had not heard of it until recently. We use a pressure pump and water tank
to move water around the garden. The pressure tank seal failed so the whole
caboodle had to be removed from its little house behind the garage, which
involved breaking all the various connections. A real PITA and given that
access is restricted once it had been reinstalled I was concerned to ensure
all connections were water tight (plumbing is not my forte) so googled which
was better ptfe or Boss White plus hemp and came across a discussion about
ptfe and olives.
Anyway I tried it on a few connections and all connections were perfect when
reinstalled.
I think after reading this thread I will wrap olives in ptfe in future as a
belt and braces answer.
Thanks to all who responded

The next question is whether to wrap some PTFE tape round the pipe *under* the
olive. This could theoretically help the olive to seal to slightly scratched
or deformed pipe.

When I first used compression joints I discovered an indirect disadvantage of
using PTFE tape. It is possible to get a good watertight seal without
tightening the fitting to the point that the pipe is deformed by the olive.
The practical disadvantage of doing this is that the pipe can then pull out of
the fitting, even just with water pressure if both pipes are not mechanically
fixed elsewhere. This is a bad thing. A quarter turn after the nut is tight
to stop the fitting coming apart is vital. The advantage of tape is only seen
if pipe damage means this on its own would not be enough to prevent leaks.

--
Roger Hayter