Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ptfe on olives?

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
On 09/06/2021 08:37, fred wrote:
Anyone wrap olives in ptfe ?

No, it shouts of amateur.

Oddly, it was a pro I got the tip from. Long before newsnet.

I prefer to use any other lubricant if it is
necessary. Petroleum jelly if potable.

It's not acting as a lubricant. More of a sealer.

You've contradicted this statement below?

PTFE should be confined to threads IMHO.

The threads pay no part in sealing a compression fitting.

I meant threaded fittings and not compression fittings, such as taper
threads etc.

The question was about PTFE on an olive? Using it there helps the seal
between the ends of the threaded part that the olive bears on. It might
reduce friction too - but then I always tighten compression fittings till
they groan. ;-)

--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.