Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default ptfe on olives?

On 12 Jun 2021 at 08:59:33 BST, ""Jim GM4DHJ ...""
wrote:

On 11/06/2021 12:58, Roger Hayter wrote:
On 11 Jun 2021 at 10:55:10 BST, ""Dave Plowman" News)"

wrote:

In article ,
Roger Hayter wrote:
The next question is whether to wrap some PTFE tape round the pipe
*under* the olive. This could theoretically help the olive to seal to
slightly scratched or deformed pipe.

Good luck with that. The olive should already be a tight fit to the tube.

I've never come across such an interference fit, or indeed an olive that did
not easily allow room for tape underneath. I don't do it now, as failed
joints
with standard tightening are very rare in practice if you polish the pipe
and
there are no visible scratches. But when I did it was always possible.

underneath???.....you will be telling us next like brian reay did that
you can remove the olive after the joint has been tightened...tee hee

Actually if you put tape under and over the olive you can make a watertight
joint without deforming either the pipe or the olive. But I *don't recommend*
it. Because the joint can disassemble itself under slight mechanical force or
even water pressure.

--
Roger Hayter