Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default ptfe on olives?

On 11 Jun 2021 at 12:58:17 BST, "Roger Hayter" wrote:

On 11 Jun 2021 at 10:55:10 BST, ""Dave Plowman" News)"

wrote:

In article ,
Roger Hayter wrote:
The next question is whether to wrap some PTFE tape round the pipe
*under* the olive. This could theoretically help the olive to seal to
slightly scratched or deformed pipe.

Good luck with that. The olive should already be a tight fit to the tube.

I've never come across such an interference fit, or indeed an olive that did
not easily allow room for ape underneath. I don't do it now, as failed
joints
with standard tightening are very rare in practice if you polish the pipe and
there are no visible scratches. But when I did it was always possible.

Or indeed 'tape'.

--
Roger Hayter