Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ptfe on olives?

In article ,
fred wrote:
So we are all agreed on this then ? I had not heard of it until
recently. We use a pressure pump and water tank to move water around the
garden. The pressure tank seal failed so the whole caboodle had to be
removed from its little house behind the garage, which involved breaking
all the various connections. A real PITA and given that access is
restricted once it had been reinstalled I was concerned to ensure all
connections were water tight (plumbing is not my forte) so googled which
was better ptfe or Boss White plus hemp and came across a discussion
about ptfe and olives. Anyway I tried it on a few connections and all
connections were perfect when reinstalled. I think after reading this
thread I will wrap olives in ptfe in future as a belt and braces answer.

Wrapping the olive with PTFE will do no harm. IMHO it gives a better
chance of a good seal too. And unlike any other sealer gunge doesn't go
off in storage. Or make a mess of your hands, etc. And is very cheap.

Hemp and boss white was never used on any compression fitting I've ever
seen. More for a plain treaded connection, where the thread is the seal.

--
*If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.