Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT: Manual or automatic gearbox? and XC60 opinion...

On 26/05/2021 18:02, Tim+ wrote:
These boxes can change so quickly that in practice, they can drop gears and
accelerated faster than you could in a manual. No need to press the
clutch, pick a gear, let the clutch out again etc, just stomp the go pedal.

They may be able to, but on practice they dont. Up to to a second lag

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 26 May 2021 at 13:03:11 UTC+1, R D S wrote:
I'm looking for a car, XC60 2.0 D4 if anyone has any opinions on those.

I've never owned an automatic and never wanted one but I test drove one
yesterday and while i'm not going to be buying that particular one
having driven it i'm wondering if i'd actually prefer an auto. It
certainly wasn't like autos of old that i've driven.

But if I come back to the idea i'd prefer a manual I can save a couple
of grand.

Looking for opinions from anyone who's changed sides.

I've driven numerous manuals and autos over the years - and would be perfectly content never to use a manual ever again.

As has been said, in stop-start heavy traffic, an auto is far nicer. And at motorway speeds - who cares? You are in top gear most of the time.

Last manual I had was a Saab 900 16V turbo. But once you were doing over about 20, you could stick it into fifth and hardly ever change. (Not actually a good idea, but it could cope.)

Currently have a VAG with 7 speed DSG box. Yes, it has paddles but I never use them. Occasionally I switch to Sport mode for a particular bit where I might want it to be a bit more lively. But most of the time, happy for it to manage - and watch it go into two-cylinder mode, or full coasting, as it decides.

Also often drive a Toyota hybrid. Even nicer at 0-5 mph.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote

I'm looking for a car, XC60 2.0 D4 if anyone has any opinions on those.

I've never owned an automatic and never wanted one but I test drove one
yesterday and while i'm not going to be buying that particular one having
driven it i'm wondering if i'd actually prefer an auto. It certainly
wasn't like autos of old that i've driven.

I never have had a problem with the work vehicles which were mostly autos.

Up till now I have chosen to have a manual, mainly because I
do keep my cars a long time and manuals are less likely to fail.

But I have been considering replacing the current car
with a new one to get a very fancy cruise control which
would be handy on long trips. My current car has no
cruise control at all. Autos are better with cruise controls
and would be convenient around town as you dont have
to change gears at corners etc.

But I prefer small cars and most of them have CVT autos
now and I dont really like the idea of those much.

But if I come back to the idea i'd prefer a manual I can save a couple of
grand.

I dont really care about the price difference.

Looking for opinions from anyone who's changed sides.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
R D S wrote:
I'm looking for a car, XC60 2.0 D4 if anyone has any opinions on those.

I've never owned an automatic and never wanted one but I test drove one
yesterday and while i'm not going to be buying that particular one
having driven it i'm wondering if i'd actually prefer an auto. It
certainly wasn't like autos of old that i've driven.

But if I come back to the idea i'd prefer a manual I can save a couple
of grand.

Looking for opinions from anyone who's changed sides.

There is little comparison between autos of old and the best modern ones.

Up until about 40 years ago, they were commonly three speed with a torque
convertor. This slowed the same car down over a manual, and increased the
fuel consumption. Only really reasonably satisfactory in a large engined
car.

There are basically two types today. The same idea epicyclic box with
torque converter but many more ratios. 8 not being uncommon. With the
power lossy TC locked out for much of the time - really just used for
moving off from rest. All computer controlled.

The second one is a robotised manual synchromesh box with a conventional
but automatic clutch. The most efficient in terms of MPG and performance.
The better versions of this idea use effectively two gearboxes and
clutches. One gearbox has the odd gears, the other the even. And changing
between say 1st to 2nd is done by swapping the clutches. When the car is
in 2nd gear, the other box has selected 3rd, and the process repeated.
This arrangement can give a virtually seamless power flow under pretty
well all conditions.

There is also the CVTs. Dont really like the idea of those long term
life wise even when they use metal chains instead of rubber belts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 May 2021 07:54:58 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Oh, ****! ...and this innocent little thread was Rodent-free so far! tsk

--
Hawk addressing the obnoxious senile Australian pest:
"I'm willing to bet you scream your own name when jacking off."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 May 2021 08:21:59 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"Thats because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
In article ,
R D S wrote:
[...]

There's also the CVT type as found in small Hondas. Very nice indeed,
especially in town or heavy motorway traffic.

Be interesting to see some stats on how well they last.

Dont like the idea much myself, even when all metal and oil.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
jon wrote:
In the sixties the Met Police in London changed over to automatic
gearboxes to save on clutch replacement costs and driver fatigue. I heard
that over 600 gear changes was common for a shift.

Yup. Ambulances are generally auto too.

As are Fire engines, because the younger generation couldn't cope with a Crash gearbox

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Nym-Shifting Senile Australian Pest!

On Thu, 27 May 2021 08:50:19 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message

snip

One gearbox has the odd gears, the other the even. And changing
between say 1st to 2nd is done by swapping the clutches. When the car is
in 2nd gear, the other box has selected 3rd, and the process repeated.
This arrangement can give a virtually seamless power flow under pretty
well all conditions.

A friend of mine remarked how dangerous these were.

Lets suppose you want instant power, with a manual you can anticipate how
long it takes to go from say 3rd to 2nd gear.

On one of these the gearboxes the parallel box will be sitting in 4th
gear, and so has to make the relevant movements to go into second before
operating the clutch. Thus maybe sitting on the wrong side of the road
whilst wanting to pass a slow vehicle for much longer than expected.

In that situation it usually makes more sense to apply the brakes than
go for instant power because you have much more braking power
than acceleration power available at those speeds when overtaking.

This was his take and I confess not to ever having driven one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2021-05-26 13:01:35 +0000, R D S said:

On 26/05/2021 13:29, John Smith wrote:

But our current Volvo is a 2005 model - no idea about recent ones
except they are costly. I've never paid more than £3500 for a car.

All ours have been under 7k and we tend to keeo them for 4-5 years
before changing.

This one is 15k (missus wants something 'nice') so it has to be right.
How people shell out much more than that is beyond me.

Indeed.

See if you can find a geartronic model - I think some also have steering
wheel paddles to shift gear so you can pretend to be Lewis Hamilton.

It was a geartronic I drove.
There's so much traffic around these parts these days you end up with
clutch foot ache.
Didn't think i'd like an auto but was very pleased and now having a
complete rethink, plus as stated elsewhere, no more clutch replacement.

Headache if the box goes kaput though!

As an aside, it was interesting when I almost launched everyone through
the windscreen the first time I wanted to stop it and my left foot
instinctively went for the clutch and found the brake.

Yeah, I didnt used to have that problem when still working
with almost all of the work vehicles autos and mine manual
but I do now that I drive autos much less frequently.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Fredxx wrote:

snip

One gearbox has the odd gears, the other the even. And changing
between say 1st to 2nd is done by swapping the clutches. When the car
is
in 2nd gear, the other box has selected 3rd, and the process repeated.
This arrangement can give a virtually seamless power flow under pretty
well all conditions.

A friend of mine remarked how dangerous these were.

He's a nutcase, then.

Lets suppose you want instant power, with a manual you can anticipate
how long it takes to go from say 3rd to 2nd gear.

As you can also with modern autos.

On one of these the gearboxes the parallel box will be sitting in 4th
gear, and so has to make the relevant movements to go into second before
operating the clutch. Thus maybe sitting on the wrong side of the road
whilst wanting to pass a slow vehicle for much longer than expected.

It kicks down far quicker than the average driver can manage with a manual
box. If you see a gap that allows you to overtake, you have to change down
in a manual.

No you dont, I never do that.

This takes more time than it takes an auto to change down
by flooring the pedal. On either, you can grind along in a
low gear waiting for the opportunity to overtake.

Or you are driving a car with a decent power to weight
ratio which can overtake fine without changing down.

This was his take and I confess not to ever having driven one.

I doubt he has either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2021-05-26 16:09:43 +0000, R D S said:

It was a geartronic I drove.
There's so much traffic around these parts these days you end up with
clutch foot ache.
Didn't think i'd like an auto but was very pleased and now having a
complete rethink, plus as stated elsewhere, no more clutch replacement.

Headache if the box goes kaput though!

As an aside, it was interesting when I almost launched everyone through
the windscreen the first time I wanted to stop it and my left foot
instinctively went for the clutch and found the brake.

The geartronic shift up and down the gears I find useful if only that I
keep wanting to do something with my left hand... it's useful to lock the
gear in 2 say when there are a load of speed bumps close together.

Not cheap to fix if it stops working tho.

If you do go for a Volvo it has one of the best user forums for any make
and also at least one good facebook group. The forum has saved my bacon a
few times - you could ask about issues with a model here. Auto boxes like
fluid changes, which makers often don't recommend but users do.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk

I often use my left foot for the brake, which you are not supposed to do
with an auto but I can't see any reason why not.

Because you can **** it by using both feet at once.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2021 20:12, Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

Fredxx wrote:

Lets suppose you want instant power, with a manual you can anticipate
how long it takes to go from say 3rd to 2nd gear.

As you can also with modern autos.

About 1/5 of a second to change with a double clutch, unless you "catch
it out" e.g. it was in 3rd on the "odd half" and has 4th ready to go on
the "even half" but then you hoof it, so now it needs 2nd on the "even
half", so that makes it a bit slower.

Its not the time to change, its the time to *decide* to change...

--
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isnt true; the
other is to refuse to believe what is true.

Soren Kierkegaard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 May 2021 09:09:11 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Yeah, I didnt used to have that problem when still working
with almost all of the work vehicles autos and mine manual
but I do now that I drive autos much less frequently.

Seems you got no time for spending your "vast accumulated wealth" either,
you trolling senile bigmouth. LOL

--
"Who or What is Rod Speed?

man" on the InterNet."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 May 2021 09:15:18 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile pest's latest troll**** unread

--
Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum_on_google wrote:
Also often drive a Toyota hybrid. Even nicer at 0-5 mph.

It's interesting that the Toyota Yaris went from five engine options in the
2017 model:

1.0 petrol manual
1.3 petrol manual
1.3 petrol auto
1.4 diesel manual
1.5 petrol hybrid auto

to just the hybrid auto in the 2020 version.

Looks like they've decided manual isn't worthwhile any more.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo wrote:
polygonum_on_google wrote:
Also often drive a Toyota hybrid. Even nicer at 0-5 mph.

It's interesting that the Toyota Yaris went from five engine options in the
2017 model:

1.0 petrol manual
1.3 petrol manual
1.3 petrol auto
1.4 diesel manual
1.5 petrol hybrid auto

to just the hybrid auto in the 2020 version.

Looks like they've decided manual isn't worthwhile any more.

More likely theyve decided that pure petrol/diesel isnt worthwhile. The
auto box is just part and parcel of the hybrid design.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 27 May 2021 at 11:57:57 UTC+1, Theo wrote:
polygonum_on_google wrote:
Also often drive a Toyota hybrid. Even nicer at 0-5 mph.

It's interesting that the Toyota Yaris went from five engine options in the
2017 model:

1.0 petrol manual
1.3 petrol manual
1.3 petrol auto
1.4 diesel manual
1.5 petrol hybrid auto

to just the hybrid auto in the 2020 version.

Looks like they've decided manual isn't worthwhile any more.

Theo

I know the older automatic was horrible - maybe the 2016 model. But agree with Tim+ - suspect it is simply getting away from non-hybrid. Except for the GR Yaris!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum_on_google wrote:
I know the older automatic was horrible - maybe the 2016 model. But agree
with Tim+ - suspect it is simply getting away from non-hybrid. Except for
the GR Yaris!

The 2008 computer-clutch semi-auto was terrible[1], as was the diesel (felt
like driving a Transit). The 2011-2020 CVT auto was better, but still
somewhat laggy. The hybrid is much better.

You're right though - the hybrid is the better car and the manual is a
casualty of focusing on that, rather than killing the manual but keeping the
CVT auto.

Theo

[1] still to be found in the current Aygo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Clive Arthur
writes
On 26/05/2021 13:03, R D S wrote:
I'm looking for a car, XC60 2.0 D4 if anyone has any opinions on those.
I've never owned an automatic and never wanted one but I test drove
one yesterday and while i'm not going to be buying that particular
one having driven it i'm wondering if i'd actually prefer an auto. It
certainly wasn't like autos of old that i've driven.
But if I come back to the idea i'd prefer a manual I can save a
couple of grand.
Looking for opinions from anyone who's changed sides.

Autos are good if you spend a lot of time in slow moving city traffic.
Almost pointless if motorways are all you do.

They work well with adaptive cruise control.

--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
bert wrote:
Favourite was probably the DAF with its CVR system. I was reading up on
Suburus recently and couldn't believe that they have actually gone to
the trouble of building in step functions into their CVR system to make
it feel like a "normal" automatic. The customer reviews slated it.

Interesting that these rubber band CVT transmissions were all the rage a
few years ago with smaller cars from the larger makers like Ford. Not
anymore.

--
*There are 3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
R D S wrote:
[...]

There is a 3rd type, the Continuously Variable Transmission. Originated
on the DAF I think. Still used by Honda and Suburu. Had a DAF 44 many
year ago. Quite amusing to drive, but very good ins now as each wheel
could change ratio independently.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2021 16:53, Theo wrote:
JohnP wrote:
I drive a Hybrid. I think of it as an electrically enabled automatic! A
Pwer Split planetary gear shares power between motor and engine. No clutch
- no changes. I love it.

+1

Having driven three versions of Toyotas:
- computer controlled clutch 'semi-auto'
- CVT auto
- hybrid e-CVT

The e-CVT is a lot smoother, and the advantage is it can combine motor and
engine for extra acceleration grunt when you need it.

A manual would be a substantial retrograde step IMHO.

+2
Used to drive a Ford Fusion (manual)
Now I drive a Toyota Yaris hybrid (well it is actually my son's
Motability car but as I am the one with the license...).
Both these are/where small cars so gutless .
But the Yaris is a VAST improvement on the Fusion's 'play tunes' with
the selector to get the best out of it.

The Yaris has an auto box (e-CVT) that is really smooth .

Along with the motor/engine combo' It has 'kick-down' for overtaking etc.

Driving it is so very easy

In fact so easy that with cruise control set I become a steering wheel
attendant so my mind can wander, never to dangerous levels but I
sometimes realise that I have no memory of covering the last mile.

It gets a bit 'floaty' at motorway speeds[1],but it is meant as a
city car anyway.

[1] I ONCE did 85 along a local dual carriageway/pretend motorway
(Edinburgh city by pass[A720]) as we had a bit of an emergency call to
the Royal Infirmary Edinburgh (RIE). Found the car was affected by
every wee puff of side wind. After about the tenth time thought it was
better to get there a little late than to get taken there in a fast
white so pulled over into the lane with the lorries and settled down to
56 mph
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 27 May 2021 at 16:25:45 UTC+1, bert wrote:

They work well with adaptive cruise control.

It has become such an integral part of driving my car, I'd forgotten to even think about mentioning that!

Mine will even come to a complete stop and then start again without intervention.

Having used standard cruise control, adaptive is just so much nicer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
On 27 May 2021 at 18:10:07 BST, soup wrote:

In fact so easy that with cruise control set I become a steering wheel
attendant so my mind can wander, never to dangerous levels but I
sometimes realise that I have no memory of covering the last mile.

Some 20 years ago I was listening to a story tape while driving to
Chester. I
got off the M6 onto the M54 with a view to going up the A41. I started the
tape on the M54. Next thing I knew I was in a big city, and the autopilot
switched off. No idea where I was but eventually worked out I was, in
fact, in
Chester, having overshot the actual destination by a few miles. I had no
recollection at all of the preceding 50-odd miles. Haven't listened to a
voice
tape/disc since.

Never had anything like that and I listen to podcasts instead of music
when on a decent trip.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"polygonum_on_google" wrote in message
On Thursday, 27 May 2021 at 16:25:45 UTC+1, bert wrote:

They work well with adaptive cruise control.

It has become such an integral part of driving my car, I'd forgotten to
even think about mentioning that!

Mine will even come to a complete stop and then start again without
intervention.

The Honda will do full cruise control even in stop start traffic jams.

Having used standard cruise control, adaptive is just so much nicer.

The big thing they still wont do is track the change in speed limit thru
towns
on highways. That will happen soon because its EU mandated in the near
future.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum_on_google wrote:

On Thursday, 27 May 2021 at 16:25:45 UTC+1, bert wrote:

They work well with adaptive cruise control.

It has become such an integral part of driving my car, I'd forgotten to even think about mentioning that!

Mine will even come to a complete stop and then start again without intervention.

Having used standard cruise control, adaptive is just so much nicer.

I guess that will be something to look forward to with my next
car, not that I expect that to be any time soon.

How fast does it put the anchors on if someone cuts sharply in
front of you?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

bert wrote:
Favourite was probably the DAF with its CVR system. I was reading up on
Suburus recently and couldn't believe that they have actually gone to
the trouble of building in step functions into their CVR system to make
it feel like a "normal" automatic. The customer reviews slated it.

Interesting that these rubber band CVT transmissions were all the rage a
few years ago with smaller cars from the larger makers like Ford. Not
anymore.

Honda and Suburu to name just two.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/05/2021 19:51, Joey wrote:

[...]

I do not listen to podcasts or chat radio precisely because of Tim's
experience. At least with 'radio music' you can stop listening
instantly if road conditions dictate. Whereas if it's a podcast/talk
radio/audio book, you tend to get enthralled in that and not realise
what is happening.

Maybe I am just of the easily distracted type.
Sorely tempted to put some form of 'look squirrel' comment in there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 May 2021 05:14:56 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 May 2021 04:51:29 +1000, Joey, better known as cantankerous

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:
On 26/05/2021 13:03, R D S wrote:
I'm looking for a car, XC60 2.0 D4 if anyone has any opinions on those.

I've never owned an automatic and never wanted one but I test drove one
yesterday and while i'm not going to be buying that particular one
having driven it i'm wondering if i'd actually prefer an auto. It
certainly wasn't like autos of old that i've driven.

But if I come back to the idea i'd prefer a manual I can save a couple
of grand.

Looking for opinions from anyone who's changed sides.

About 5 years ago I hire a Jeep in the USA. I had to stop driving it up
a hill because the automatic gear box overheated and a warning light
came on.

Odd, really, as once the US made the very best autos. Even Rolls chose to
fit them. But about 40 years ago they sat on their laurels and it's now
Germany which leads the way. Of course with cheap fuel they didn't see the
need for a more efficient auto - just fitted a bigger engine for more go.

I've had a couple of Jeep autos, excellent boxes.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"soup" wrote in message
On 27/05/2021 19:51, Joey wrote:

[...]

I dont.

Maybe I am just of the easily distracted type.

Yep, bet thats it with you two.

Sorely tempted to put some form of 'look squirrel' comment in there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 May 2021 09:11:50 +1000, Joey, better known as cantankerous

"Who or What is Rod Speed?

man" on the InterNet."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Looking for opinions from anyone who's changed sides.

Take care - CVT is sometimes used to describe a Hybrid - yet many think it
means the cone pulley / Belt/ Chain arrangement. My hybrid uses a
planetary differential to combine engine and motor. Some call it CVT.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JohnP wrote:

Looking for opinions from anyone who's changed sides.

Take care - CVT is sometimes used to describe a Hybrid - yet many think it
means the cone pulley / Belt/ Chain arrangement. My hybrid uses a
planetary differential to combine engine and motor. Some call it CVT.

Yup - that was the fault of Toyota on the original Prius. Used to describe
what is more a differential drive. Perhaps CVT wasn't a copyright name?

--
*Where there's a will, I want to be in it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
JohnP wrote:

Take care - CVT is sometimes used to describe a Hybrid - yet many think it
means the cone pulley / Belt/ Chain arrangement. My hybrid uses a
planetary differential to combine engine and motor. Some call it CVT.

Yup - that was the fault of Toyota on the original Prius. Used to describe
what is more a differential drive. Perhaps CVT wasn't a copyright name?

They called it an 'e-CVT'. Which is what it is, an electronic
continuously variable transmission. The innards don't bear much relation to
the belt drive CVT, but the way it drives is like a CVT (although with a
slightly different - less squishy - feel).

(Some CVTs have fake-manual gears which are just fixed ratios on the CVT you
can select - possibly useful for getting you out of a snowdrift but
otherwise mostly pointless given the computer can select an infinite range)

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 26/05/2021 14:01, R D S wrote:
On 26/05/2021 13:29, John Smith wrote:

But our current Volvo is a 2005 model - no idea about recent ones
except they are costly. I've never paid more than £3500 for a car.

All ours have been under 7k and we tend to keeo them for 4-5 years
before changing.

This one is 15k (missus wants something 'nice') so it has to be right.
How people shell out much more than that is beyond me.

Just tell her red is in fashion and buy her a red 7K one.

IGMC

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Theo
writes
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
JohnP wrote:

Take care - CVT is sometimes used to describe a Hybrid - yet many think it
means the cone pulley / Belt/ Chain arrangement. My hybrid uses a
planetary differential to combine engine and motor. Some call it CVT.

Yup - that was the fault of Toyota on the original Prius. Used to describe
what is more a differential drive. Perhaps CVT wasn't a copyright name?

They called it an 'e-CVT'. Which is what it is, an electronic
continuously variable transmission. The innards don't bear much relation to
the belt drive CVT, but the way it drives is like a CVT (although with a
slightly different - less squishy - feel).

(Some CVTs have fake-manual gears which are just fixed ratios on the CVT you
can select - possibly useful for getting you out of a snowdrift but
otherwise mostly pointless given the computer can select an infinite range)

Theo

The Suburu does. Utterly pointless to me, undoing one of the advantages
of CVT
--
bert