Posted to uk.d-i-y
Joey[_5_] Joey[_5_] is offline

Default OT: Manual or automatic gearbox? and XC60 opinion...

"soup" wrote in message
On 27/05/2021 19:51, Joey wrote:

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
On 27 May 2021 at 18:10:07 BST, soup wrote:

In fact so easy that with cruise control set I become a steering wheel
attendant so my mind can wander, never to dangerous levels but I
sometimes realise that I have no memory of covering the last mile.

Some 20 years ago I was listening to a story tape while driving to
Chester. I
got off the M6 onto the M54 with a view to going up the A41. I started
the
tape on the M54. Next thing I knew I was in a big city, and the
autopilot
switched off. No idea where I was but eventually worked out I was, in
fact, in
Chester, having overshot the actual destination by a few miles. I had no
recollection at all of the preceding 50-odd miles. Haven't listened to a
voice
tape/disc since.

Never had anything like that and I listen to podcasts instead of music
when on a decent trip.

I do not listen to podcasts or chat radio precisely because of Tim's
experience. At least with 'radio music' you can stop listening
instantly if road conditions dictate. Whereas if it's a podcast/talk
radio/audio book, you tend to get enthralled in that and not realise
what is happening.

I dont.

Maybe I am just of the easily distracted type.

Yep, bet thats it with you two.

Sorely tempted to put some form of 'look squirrel' comment in there.