Posted to uk.d-i-y
soup[_7_] soup[_7_] is offline

Default OT: Manual or automatic gearbox? and XC60 opinion...

On 26/05/2021 16:53, Theo wrote:
JohnP wrote:
I drive a Hybrid. I think of it as an electrically enabled automatic! A
Pwer Split planetary gear shares power between motor and engine. No clutch
- no changes. I love it.

+1

Having driven three versions of Toyotas:
- computer controlled clutch 'semi-auto'
- CVT auto
- hybrid e-CVT

The e-CVT is a lot smoother, and the advantage is it can combine motor and
engine for extra acceleration grunt when you need it.

A manual would be a substantial retrograde step IMHO.

+2
Used to drive a Ford Fusion (manual)
Now I drive a Toyota Yaris hybrid (well it is actually my son's
Motability car but as I am the one with the license...).
Both these are/where small cars so gutless .
But the Yaris is a VAST improvement on the Fusion's 'play tunes' with
the selector to get the best out of it.

The Yaris has an auto box (e-CVT) that is really smooth .

Along with the motor/engine combo' It has 'kick-down' for overtaking etc.

Driving it is so very easy

In fact so easy that with cruise control set I become a steering wheel
attendant so my mind can wander, never to dangerous levels but I
sometimes realise that I have no memory of covering the last mile.

It gets a bit 'floaty' at motorway speeds[1],but it is meant as a
city car anyway.

[1] I ONCE did 85 along a local dual carriageway/pretend motorway
(Edinburgh city by pass[A720]) as we had a bit of an emergency call to
the Royal Infirmary Edinburgh (RIE). Found the car was affected by
every wee puff of side wind. After about the tenth time thought it was
better to get there a little late than to get taken there in a fast
white so pulled over into the lane with the lorries and settled down to
56 mph