Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT: Second jab. Result!

In case anyone else has their second jab booked soon ... (and now
there is talk of lowering the time between the jabs from 12 to 8 weeks

I was due to have my second AZ jab next Friday and wasn't looking
forward to it, not because of the jab (no side effects at all on the
first) but because it was on the high street about 7 miles from here,
with restricted parking (a few meters outside, everything else
residents only type parking) and a Mrs who doesn't have the confidence
she once did to jump in the drivers seat and hover ... then drive
round the block if we couldn't get parked and a warden came past
before we could ...

Anyroad up, rather than going very early to ensure I could find a
space (and this would be after the lockdown has lifted another notch,
potentially making parking matters worse), we happened to be out
walking the dog and went past a temporary vaccination centre and I
enquired with the guy on the gate if it might be considered ok /
possible to give me my second jab there (fully expecting the answer
'you will have to wait you are in the system' etc). But he said 'yes',
mentioned they were fairly quiet, so I went round to the 'In' door of
this church hall, filled in the form (was told to keep the pen but had
to touch and give back the clipboard?), was then 'checked in' by a
lady with a laptop and after confirming my details, she confirmed my
Doctors Surgery and I was pointed to a seat, details checked again,
jab administered by another at the same time and ushered towards the
'Out' door and all in less than 60 seconds. ;-)

She did ask that if I was driving to maybe wait in the car for 10
minutes but I wasn't so we carried on the dog walk for another couple
of hours.

Now, I'm not sure if I should phone and cancel the appointment I have
for Friday or will that have already been done, as it's obvious they
had access to some sort of 'system' that had my details etc?

I can't see it being an issue (if they end up with a spare slot and a
spare dose), it's just I know they collate information like 'missed
appointments' and didn't want to add to their statistics?

A bit like parking up to get Mums prescription, seeing a queue at the
only parking meter, going and getting the prescription and being back
at the car before the same last person in the queue had finished at
the machine but still then getting a (free for 30 mins but with your
reg on) ticket, knowing there was ANPR on that site. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2021 22:32, T i m wrote:

Now, I'm not sure if I should phone and cancel the appointment I have
for Friday or will that have already been done, as it's obvious they
had access to some sort of 'system' that had my details etc?

My surgery wanted a phone call if the appointment was to be missed. A
separate phone line (press 5 for....) has been set up for covid
appointments.

My second jab, house to house, took 13 minutes and that included
stopping off at the local take-away for fish and chips

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Second jab. Result!

Well poke them an email. However when I got mine done locally instead of at
the major centre I simply rang them and they said thanks and said it
probably would get amended before my date, but it was appreciated to have me
say I'd had it done.

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"T i m" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 May 2021 07:08:07 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

On 16/05/2021 22:32, T i m wrote:

Now, I'm not sure if I should phone and cancel the appointment I have
for Friday or will that have already been done, as it's obvious they
had access to some sort of 'system' that had my details etc?

My surgery wanted a phone call if the appointment was to be missed.

Sure, but I won't be missing my jab or appointment, I've just already
had it and elsewhere?

If (for example) they (a High Street chemist vaccination centre)
print off a sheet of all the appointments to be serviced that morning
directly from a national / NHS database, my appointment shouldn't be
on there?

separate phone line (press 5 for....) has been set up for covid
appointments.

I did think about phoning them but if not necessary (see above), all
that will do is take someone away from doing something more
productive?

Even if they don't have such information (it was this Friday) and
given it seems that they are allowing some flexibility now on 2nd and
even 1st jabs (from what they were asking me, 'Is this your first jab
....') the chances neither my slot nor my jab will be wasted.

It was more about trying to do the right / best thing.

My second jab, house to house, took 13 minutes and that included
stopping off at the local take-away for fish and chips

When we were eating fish our local place (excuse the pun) used to cook
it fresh and that seemed to take quite a while.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 May 2021 06:31:26 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk
wrote:

snip

SWMBO and I got our 2nd AZ jabs last week.

Cool.

We waltzed past a very long
queue of people for the Pfizer vaccine.

Bizzare.

No side effects whatsoever - same as first time.

Same here (the next day etc).

We were out walking the dog with my step niece (?) as our daughter
(now her pseudo Mum) is in the Peak District as we came across this
pop-up Covid vaccination centre.

Niece (just turned 18 and on the spectrum) mentioned something along
the lines of 'I don't know how anyone could just have it done at such
short notice' and as we were walking away, I did wonder if we should
'Over 18 with a condition' and the condition in this case was that in
spite of being 'high functioning', doesn't seem to have any (obvious
anyway) OCD, especially around touching 'public stuff' and hand
washing?

I popped into Sainsbury's for us and whilst here, bought 3 little
pocket hand gels and handed her (and the Mrs) one. If I open a gate on
a public footpath I'd either use my cuff or gel afterwards and have
tried to train the Mrs to do the same (not so much a risk now it's a
good few weeks past having her second jab).

A good 'aid memoir' for me is remembering the salmonella / food
hygiene warning TV adverts where someone handles some raw chicken and
then you see them leave a contaminated hand print everywhere they go
afterwards. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 May 2021 08:51:42 +0100, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
wrote:

Well poke them an email.

That's a good idea, if I can find an email address for them.

However when I got mine done locally instead of at
the major centre I simply rang them and they said thanks and said it
probably would get amended before my date, but it was appreciated to have me
say I'd had it done.

Yeah, that was the sort of thing I was thinking but wondered if it
would be surplus information because of any national database etc?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
Now, I'm not sure if I should phone and cancel the appointment I have
for Friday or will that have already been done, as it's obvious they
had access to some sort of 'system' that had my details etc?

Does no harm to phone and cancel. A GP may well run a list of their own
patients separate to any national one - if such exists.

--
*Never test the depth of the water with both feet.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
SWMBO and I got our 2nd AZ jabs last week.

Cool.

We waltzed past a very long
queue of people for the Pfizer vaccine.

Bizzare.

Not really. You generally have the same make second shot. And the Pfizer
one doesn't keep long once out of the deep freeze. So is more likely to be
appointment only. It would be silly taking a batch out of the deep freeze
without having patients booked to have it.

--
*If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

snip

SWMBO and I got our 2nd AZ jabs last week.

Cool.

We waltzed past a very long
queue of people for the Pfizer vaccine.

Bizzare.

could be because they were waiting for their 1st jab as the over 35 are now invited.
when I went to get my 1st jab back in march the 1st jab queue was a very long snake.
the queue for 2nd jabs was about 5 people.
I had the AZ one.

No side effects whatsoever - same as first time.

Same here (the next day etc).

No side effects from 1st hope the 2nd will be the same. due 18th june.
been wondering if I'll get called up earlier .

[...]

My biggest concerns are hand rails on buses and students!
I too keep a small bottle of hand gel.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
SWMBO and I got our 2nd AZ jabs last week.

Cool.

We waltzed past a very long
queue of people for the Pfizer vaccine.

Bizzare.

Not really. You generally have the same make second shot. And the Pfizer
one doesn't keep long once out of the deep freeze. So is more likely to be
appointment only. It would be silly taking a batch out of the deep freeze
without having patients booked to have it.

My brother had his second Pfizer and he had it about 2 hours after the
surgery sent him a text asking if he could actually turn up at short
notice. I had about 4 hours notice first my fist AZ jab and for my
second AZ jab I was informed 3 days in advance. For my second jab there
were only two of us for the jab there (plus three people to give the
jabs, two on the front desk, two people organising the queue, two people
sanitising the chairs and one taking contactless temperatures).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m used his keyboard to write :
My brother had his second Pfizer and he had it about 2 hours after the
surgery sent him a text asking if he could actually turn up at short notice.
I had about 4 hours notice first my fist AZ jab and for my second AZ jab I
was informed 3 days in advance. For my second jab there were only two of us
for the jab there (plus three people to give the jabs, two on the front desk,
two people organising the queue, two people sanitising the chairs and one
taking contactless temperatures).

Both appointments at my local surgery, each with several days notice
and pz, no queuing, in registered on computer, jabbed then had to wait
15 minutes to see if I had a reaction - none at all. Contactless
temperature only checked on second visit, questionaire only on first
visit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2021 22:32, T i m wrote:
In case anyone else has their second jab booked soon ... (and now
there is talk of lowering the time between the jabs from 12 to 8 weeks

Now, I'm not sure if I should phone and cancel the appointment I have
for Friday or will that have already been done, as it's obvious they
had access to some sort of 'system' that had my details etc?

[snipping]

I had a similar situation last Friday. I subsequently heard on the news
that the govt was thinking of bringing down the in-between time from 12
weeks to 8 weeks.

I had first AZ 10 weeks ago, and was booked in 2 weeks to go back for
2nd, at nearby NHS mass vaccination centre

On Friday, I saw a posting on local Facebook page that local vaccination
centre (GP run) was offering second AZ vaccines for 8+ weeks. I was in
the car immediately. All went well. On arrival, all done in 30 mins
car-door to car-door. I asked if I should cancel my appt booked in 2
weeks or if it would get cancelled automatically. The lady said she
thought it might get cancelled, but I should check. Came home and left
it a couple of hours and checked online and appointment still there, so
I cancelled it. All fine: it was booked and cancelled via
nhs.uk/covid-vaccination

I think you should try and cancel your now unwanted second appointment:
it might help someone somewhere!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 May 2021 11:38:57 +0100, Allan
wrote:

snip

Now, I'm not sure if I should phone and cancel the appointment I have
for Friday or will that have already been done, as it's obvious they
had access to some sort of 'system' that had my details etc?

snip

I asked if I should cancel my appt booked in 2
weeks or if it would get cancelled automatically. The lady said she
thought it might get cancelled, but I should check. Came home and left
it a couple of hours and checked online and appointment still there, so
I cancelled it. All fine: it was booked and cancelled via
nhs.uk/covid-vaccination

I think you should try and cancel your now unwanted second appointment:
it might help someone somewhere!

I was about to see if I could do so online (and so not tie any human
up dealing with my request) when I read your reply: ;-)

"Manage your appointments

If you already have appointments booked, you can:

view your appointments
cancel your appointments
book appointments again"

So, go there (once I remember my NHS name is Timothy not Tim g) and
I get:

"You do not need to book any coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccination
appointments using this service"

So I'm guessing it knows I've already had both and will cancel the
Friday appointment?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
In article ,
T i m wrote:
[...]

I'm sure if they've had cancellations they'd try and find a patient it can
be used on. Which is why you should phone to cancel in plenty time if you
can't make an appointment. Same as any appointment, really, so it isn't
wasted.

--
*If tennis elbow is painful, imagine suffering with tennis balls *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

snip

SWMBO and I got our 2nd AZ jabs last week.

I popped into Sainsbury's for us and whilst here, bought 3 little
pocket hand gels and handed her (and the Mrs) one. If I open a gate on
a public footpath I'd either use my cuff or gel afterwards and have
tried to train the Mrs to do the same (not so much a risk now it's a
good few weeks past having her second jab).

A good 'aid memoir' for me is remembering the salmonella / food
hygiene warning TV adverts where someone handles some raw chicken and
then you see them leave a contaminated hand print everywhere they go
afterwards. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

On the other hand I have read that catching it off a surface is a 1 in 10,000 chance, catching it outdoors is a 1 in 1,000 chance compared toi cathcing it indorrs. So now I don't worry about surface but I have had tw0 AZ jabs.

Jonathan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2021 22:32, T i m wrote:
I was due to have my second AZ jab next Friday and wasn't looking
forward to it, not because of the jab (no side effects at all on the
first) but because it was on the high street about 7 miles from here,

7 miles (walk) is nothing to a dog owner, surely ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 May 2021 17:09:51 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

On 16/05/2021 22:32, T i m wrote:
I was due to have my second AZ jab next Friday and wasn't looking
forward to it, not because of the jab (no side effects at all on the
first) but because it was on the high street about 7 miles from here,

7 miles (walk) is nothing to a dog owner, surely ?

Ok, do you remember your 2x table .... 2 x 7 = ?

And whilst *I* could probably walk the dog there (and back), I'm not
sure what I would do with the dog when there, it's hardly the sort of
'walk' I would choose, compared with one that was mostly 'in the
country' and I'm not sure it would be advised, should there be an
adverse reaction.

The dog walk after the jab yesterday was in a large loop around the
car and the Mrs could have walked to it and picked me up (as she knows
*that* area reasonably well) if it had been required.

Oh and we (the Mrs and I) aren't currently 'dog owners', he belongs to
our daughter who is away on holiday atm and so we are looking after
him. Ironically she is walking in the Peak District and would
typically have taken him with her (as we are yet to wear him out just
walking and he's does seem happy / capable climbing stuff).

HTH.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2021 22:32, T i m wrote:

snip

You didn't need the jab:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi9OdFmHb9E
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

snip

SWMBO and I got our 2nd AZ jabs last week.

Cool.

We waltzed past a very long
queue of people for the Pfizer vaccine.

Bizzare.

could be because they were waiting for their 1st jab as the over 35 are
now invited.
when I went to get my 1st jab back in march the 1st jab queue was a very
long snake.
the queue for 2nd jabs was about 5 people.
I had the AZ one.

We can see the effect with your CVTs and PVTs.

[...]

You should be much more worried about aerosols in buses and inside at work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Senile Octogenarian Nym-Shifting Ozzie Cretin!

On Tue, 18 May 2021 03:24:23 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

You should be much more worried about aerosols in buses and inside at work.

You should be much more worried about why nobody will care you when you
finally croak, you abnormal quarrelsome auto-contradicting senile PEST!

cretin's pathological trolling:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/05/2021 11:14 am, alan_m wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* T i m wrote:
SWMBO and I got our 2nd AZ jabs last week.

Cool.

We waltzed past a very long
queue of people for the Pfizer vaccine.

Bizzare.

Not really. You generally have the same make second shot. And the Pfizer
one doesn't keep long once out of the deep freeze. So is more likely
to be
appointment only. It would be silly taking a batch out of the deep freeze
without having patients booked to have it.

My brother had his second Pfizer and he had it about 2 hours after the
surgery sent him a text asking if he could actually turn up at short
notice.Â* I had about 4 hours notice first my fist AZ jab and for my
second AZ jab I was informed 3 days in advance. For my second jab there
were only two of us for the jab there (plus three people to give the
jabs, two on the front desk, two people organising the queue, two people
sanitising the chairs and one taking contactless temperatures).

Yes... our first Pfizer vaccination was done after a short notice
summons by telephone (about two hours, on a Sunday afternoon, too).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JNugent wrote:
Yes... our first Pfizer vaccination was done after a short notice
summons by telephone (about two hours, on a Sunday afternoon, too).

How was it organised?

I had mine quite early on, and organised by my GP. In conjunction with
other GPs in the area. Got a week's notice, and they'd given over one
surgery to just doing jabs. Chosen I suppose because it was very close to
a station and bus services - but not so good for parking. Lots of
volunteer helpers, but only saw two 'pros' - one to do the check of the
form I'd filled in, and one to do the jab. Was seen within minutes of
arriving on time - but then pretty well all the patients were elderly so
could be there on time. Exactly the same with the second jab.

Friends who had it arranged by the NHS reported things not always so well
organised.

Seems to me your GP should be very used to organising jabs - after all
they do flu jabs for their elderly every year. And children too. So
already know what works efficiently for their own patients. So only a
question of scaling it up. Rather than a new one off with the NHS.

--
*Be more or less specific *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

snip

SWMBO and I got our 2nd AZ jabs last week.

I popped into Sainsbury's for us and whilst here, bought 3 little
pocket hand gels and handed her (and the Mrs) one. If I open a gate on
a public footpath I'd either use my cuff or gel afterwards and have
tried to train the Mrs to do the same (not so much a risk now it's a
good few weeks past having her second jab).

A good 'aid memoir' for me is remembering the salmonella / food
hygiene warning TV adverts where someone handles some raw chicken and
then you see them leave a contaminated hand print everywhere they go
afterwards. ;-(

On the other hand I have read that catching it off a surface is a 1 in 10,000 chance, catching it outdoors is a 1 in 1,000 chance compared toi cathcing it indorrs.

No, I'm sure you / they are right, however, that means there is *a*
chance and if it costs little to protect against it ... ?

So now I don't worry about surface but I have had tw0 AZ jabs.

Yeah, I can see how it might make you more complacent once you have
had both jabs. I just need to give my second OAZ jab a bit of time
before it's up to full strength and I can go out licking handrails.
;-)

Oh, I got a text this morning from the NHS reminding me of my jab
appointment on Friday and a link that takes me to somewhere where I
see no way of doing anything (useful)?

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/corona...id=ReminderSMS

??

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/05/2021 04:01 pm, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
JNugent wrote:
Yes... our first Pfizer vaccination was done after a short notice
summons by telephone (about two hours, on a Sunday afternoon, too).

How was it organised?

We were just on a reserve list of people who could be contacted by
phone, in the correct age group.

We didn't know that until afterwards. We were asked if we could be there
within an hour and we managed, more or less.

I had mine quite early on, and organised by my GP. In conjunction with
other GPs in the area. Got a week's notice, and they'd given over one
surgery to just doing jabs. Chosen I suppose because it was very close to
a station and bus services - but not so good for parking. Lots of
volunteer helpers, but only saw two 'pros' - one to do the check of the
form I'd filled in, and one to do the jab. Was seen within minutes of
arriving on time - but then pretty well all the patients were elderly so
could be there on time. Exactly the same with the second jab.

This was at a neighbouring surgery which several practices were sharing
for vaccination purposes. Parking not bad, but only about eight or ten
cars there at any one time. I expect there was some parking in nearby
streets as well.

Friends who had it arranged by the NHS reported things not always so well
organised.

Seems to me your GP should be very used to organising jabs - after all
they do flu jabs for their elderly every year. And children too. So
already know what works efficiently for their own patients. So only a
question of scaling it up. Rather than a new one off with the NHS.

Yes - this was definitely organised by the local GP surgery/ies. They
alternated in shifts between them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2021 22:32, T i m wrote:

Now, I'm not sure if I should phone and cancel the appointment I have
for Friday or will that have already been done, as it's obvious they
had access to some sort of 'system' that had my details etc?

[snip]

Another good reason to try and make the effort to cancel a pre-booked
appointment that isn't needed: don't waste a vaccine. See e.g.
https://www.facebook.com/TownheadGP/...72142147524701

Important notice: if you had a Pfizer appointment today at Gateway House
and decided to go to The Pharmacy led Hub at the Methodist church on
Saturday 22nd May, please can you call the surgery to cancel todays
appointment. We are not yet on the same booking system and we have had a
number on DNAs already this morning as the appointments do not
automatically cancel. We do not want any wasted doses, so please cancel
your appointment ASAP, to enable us to call another patient. Thank you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 May 2021 12:36:04 +0100, Allan
wrote:

On 16/05/2021 22:32, T i m wrote:

Now, I'm not sure if I should phone and cancel the appointment I have
for Friday or will that have already been done, as it's obvious they
had access to some sort of 'system' that had my details etc?

[snip]

Another good reason to try and make the effort to cancel a pre-booked
appointment that isn't needed: don't waste a vaccine. See e.g.
https://www.facebook.com/TownheadGP/...72142147524701

Yeah, I did try online but it had no record of me being due the second
jab to cancel so presume it had been done automatically.

That said, a couple of days later I got an automated text reminding me
to go to my appointment on that Friday?

Important notice: if you had a Pfizer appointment today at Gateway House
and decided to go to The Pharmacy led Hub at the Methodist church on
Saturday 22nd May, please can you call the surgery to cancel today’s
appointment. We are not yet on the same booking system and we have had a
number on DNA’s already this morning as the appointments do not
automatically cancel. We do not want any wasted doses, so please cancel
your appointment ASAP, to enable us to call another patient. Thank you.

Given that I was having the AZ jab that I believe has a weeks life in
the fridge, I wasn't particularly bothered about any jabs going to
waste.

OOI, daughter (30) recently (upon my advice from my recent 'drop in'
jab experience) tried to book hers and had her first Pfizer jab a few
days later.

Whilst she does suffer with asthma is a key worker and has been
working all along (inc doing our shopping), I don't think she was
allowed it because of any 'heath reasons' but because they seem
desperate to get the remaining people to take the jab at all?

Cheers, T i m