Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT opening an Excel document stored on Google Drive

A friend of mine works from home since last March and they use Google Drive to store stuff and Google Sheets for spreadsheets.

Problem is some stuff needs to be in Excel as some "customers" can't use Google sheets and need a "proper" spreadsheet!

My friend had a problem with her computer and lost access to some Excel stuff that was on her local hard disk. I wondered why she didn't have these vital Excel files stored on Google Drive so they'd be accessible even though her computer was knackered.

She has some Excel files stored on Drive but claims that they end up being opened in Google Sheets rather than Excel.

Are you getting bored yet!?

I seemed to me that she "simply" needs to go into Excel then go File, Open, navigate to Google Drive and open the Excel file in question - but it's not that easy it seems!

Has anyone else been though this pain? Is it possible? Doesn't seem much to ask to me but it looks like it's harder than it should be!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 29/04/2021 17:42, Murmansk wrote:
[...]

Is she unable to download them to her PC from Google Drive?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is she unable to download them to her PC from Google Drive?

Well I'd imagine she could but I think what we need is to be able to go File, Open in Excel and choose a file that's stored in Drive in the cloud somewhere just like you would if it was stored locally on the hard drive.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/04/2021 17:59, Murmansk wrote:

Is she unable to download them to her PC from Google Drive?

Well I'd imagine she could but I think what we need is to be able to go File, Open in Excel and choose a file that's stored in Drive in the cloud somewhere just like you would if it was stored locally on the hard drive.

She needs to install the Google Drive software on her PC to do just
that. It maps a local folder and handles its replication.

Otherwise, it's a matter of loading/uploading files via the web browser,
using an intermediate folder (which will get messy)

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 29/04/2021 17:59, Murmansk wrote:

Is she unable to download them to her PC from Google Drive?

Well I'd imagine she could but I think what we need is to be able to go File, Open in Excel and choose a file that's stored in Drive in the cloud somewhere just like you would if it was stored locally on the hard drive.

This is mad! In the Google Drive page in her browser, right click on the
file and select the download option.

Her browser will show her when it's downloaded, and then she left clicks
it to open it in excel.

It's really not that hard.

Or, as Adrian says, replicate the google drive on her PC, but she'll
still need to be able to do something really, really taxing, like
navigating to the right folder.

The other trouble with that is that the sync software from google is not
that easy to set up, and she'll probably (almost certainly, actually)
end up copying all her personal documents onto the company google drive.

Honestly, just Right click ... download ... left click. It's foolproof.
Write it on a post it note.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk wrote:
[...]

I would have though that her problem is her browser settings. She needs to
tell her browser to open Excel files with Excel

Tim.

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 29/04/2021 18:51, Tim+ wrote:

I would have though that her problem is her browser settings. She needs to
tell her browser to open Excel files with Excel

If you double-click a file in the google drive page, it opens it in
google docs. I don't think there are any settings to change that.

Tim.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I know from experience today that if you right-click a file in Google Drive you can select Open With and Excel is not one of the options listed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 29/04/2021 19:52, Murmansk wrote:
I know from experience today that if you right-click a file in Google Drive you can select Open With and Excel is not one of the options listed.

Same here.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 29/04/2021 17:59, Murmansk wrote:

Is she unable to download them to her PC from Google Drive?

Well I'd imagine she could but I think what we need is to be able to

go File, Open in Excel and choose a file that's stored in Drive in the
cloud somewhere just like you would if it was stored locally on the hard
drive.

She needs to install the Google Drive software on her PC to do just
that. It maps a local folder and handles its replication.

Anything that requires "their" software to be installed on my computer
is a no no in my books.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/04/2021 19:52, Murmansk wrote:

I know from experience today that if you right-click a file in Google
Drive you can select Open With and Excel is not one of the options
listed.

There are a couple of ways this can work...

You can access google drive in a web browser (visiting drive.google.com)
or you can install the google drive connector app on the machine and
have it mirror documents between the online drive and the local machine
(or machines - much like one drive or dropbox).

If you are on the web page, then you can right click a file and select
"download" on a google spreadsheet file - it will then convert to excel
format prior to downloading.

If you upload an excel file to the drive it will keep a copy in excel
format in the drive (and the storage for it will come out of that
allocated to your drive). If you try to open it online, it will open it
in googles web based excel editor to start with (i.e. leaving it in
excel format). You also have the option of converting it to a native
google spreadsheet. (that then opens up the full set of capabilities and
it also consumes no storage allocation on the drive)

If you are interacting with the local file system copy of the drive,
then any xls or xlsx files stored in the drive you should be able to
open directly in excel.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk wrote:
[...]

(Poorly formatted web page...)

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/googl...gin-for-office

Mar.2019
Google replacing Drive plug-in for Microsoft Office with Drive File Stream in June

https://9to5google.com/2019/03/27/dr...e-integration/

"How to Install Google Drive File Stream"

https://hdkb.clemson.edu/phpkb/article.php?id=722

"Drive File Stream's name is changing to Google Drive for desktop. Learn more about the change."

https://support.google.com/a/answer/...campaign=en_us

There's a download file here, but who knows what
it does and what it's good for.

https://support.google.com/drive/answer/7329379

https://dl.google.com/drive-file-str...iveFSSetup.exe 253MB !!!

The file is named like File Stream, but of course
it's renamed to something else once you install it.

There might even be a setting to "turn on" Office integration.

It's the Cloud. Are we having fun yet ? No ?

The 253MB download, has a Dokan DLL in it, implying
Google is doing file system integration with their package.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dokan_Library

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well this is exactly why I use dropbox.
Sometimes google drive will be fine, ie copy the file to your normal folder
and open it, but increasingly it was becoming a pain, having to somehow use
open with etc as if windows had changed the default program when trying to
get stuff from Google. On dropbox its really just another folder of course
and there is no issue.
I'm sure somebody more into the Googleverse might explain how simple it
is, but sometimes you don't want to have to read the bloody manual to do
what you used to do without it.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Murmansk" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Humph, why the extra program, you don't see that on Dropbox you can work
either way as the drive software is in the desktop application as standard,
it used to be the same in Google drive in the old days.

Even on a smart phone where you only get the online mode without paying it
still works pretty well if you have the software on your phone be it
Microsoft or whatever, it just works.

"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
On 29/04/2021 17:59, Murmansk wrote:

Is she unable to download them to her PC from Google Drive?

Well I'd imagine she could but I think what we need is to be able to go
File, Open in Excel and choose a file that's stored in Drive in the cloud
somewhere just like you would if it was stored locally on the hard drive.

She needs to install the Google Drive software on her PC to do just that.
It maps a local folder and handles its replication.

Otherwise, it's a matter of loading/uploading files via the web browser,
using an intermediate folder (which will get messy)

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:

Adrian Caspersz wrote:

She needs to install the Google Drive software on her PC to do just
that. It maps a local folder and handles its replication.

Anything that requires "their" software to be installed on my computer
is a no no in my books.

You/She can install a 3rd party software such as MountainDuck which will
mount or sync with google drive (and onedrive, S3, dropbox etc) there's
a freebie called CyberDuck, but AFAIK that doesn't sync or mount, just
allows manual copying.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2021 07:49, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Well this is exactly why I use dropbox.
Sometimes google drive will be fine, ie copy the file to your normal folder
and open it, but increasingly it was becoming a pain, having to somehow use
open with etc as if windows had changed the default program when trying to
get stuff from Google. On dropbox its really just another folder of course
and there is no issue.

Dropbox also has a application, similar to google drive, that makes a
local folder a replicated version of the items online.

Given how Windows is normally friendly to installing anything it
socially breezes across, you probably didn't notice the installation.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/04/2021 17:59, Murmansk wrote:

Is she unable to download them to her PC from Google Drive?

That is by far the safest way to ensure no data loss.

Well I'd imagine she could but I think what we need is to be able to
go File, Open in Excel and choose a file that's stored in Drive in
the cloud somewhere just like you would if it was stored locally on
the hard drive.

I think she could do that from inside Excel and it would work.

However, if you do it that way then if anything goes wrong with your
network connection whilst the file is open you can potentially lose your
work. My wife has had problems with Cloud based documents not saving
correctly and reverting to a previous version in the corporate Office
online environment. Documents effectively vanish overnight (strictly
they open momentarily the next day and then self delete) most odd
behaviour. Never pinned it down completely but I suspect it was network
dropped and re-established with a new VPN session during a file save.

The only safe way is to duplicate the file that you are working on a
local hard drive alter it as required and then upload it. The Cloud is
not as stable as you might hope and network glitches can and do happen.

Our rural broadband is wet string quality speed so big Powerpoint
presentations with any video content in are impossible to modify. Ones
with many high resolution images in can take a few hours to download.

The official corporate branded background designed by clueless muppets
takes an insane number of megabytes for the null slide.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Apr 2021 09:42:15 -0700 (PDT), Murmansk
wrote:

[...]

When I first used Google Drive, I could upload an Excel file to it,
but could only open it as a Google Sheets file to operate it. The
Excel file itself remained unchanged. I can download the edited Google
Sheets version into Excel form.

The last time I uploaded an Excel file as an .xls file, it converted
it to the modern .xlsx format and allowed editing of it online,
without converting to Google Sheets.

I doubt you can open Excel in your PC and work on an online Excel file
in Google Drive.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2021 17:31, Dave W wrote:

I doubt you can open Excel in your PC and work on an online Excel file
in Google Drive.

Yup, you can't work on an online folder, but you can on a replicated
folder if you have installed google backup and sync.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

OP here

Thanks for all those replies folks, have given me plenty to think about