Posted to uk.d-i-y
Murmansk Murmansk is offline

Default OT opening an Excel document stored on Google Drive

A friend of mine works from home since last March and they use Google Drive to store stuff and Google Sheets for spreadsheets.

Problem is some stuff needs to be in Excel as some "customers" can't use Google sheets and need a "proper" spreadsheet!

My friend had a problem with her computer and lost access to some Excel stuff that was on her local hard disk. I wondered why she didn't have these vital Excel files stored on Google Drive so they'd be accessible even though her computer was knackered.

She has some Excel files stored on Drive but claims that they end up being opened in Google Sheets rather than Excel.

Are you getting bored yet!?

I seemed to me that she "simply" needs to go into Excel then go File, Open, navigate to Google Drive and open the Excel file in question - but it's not that easy it seems!

Has anyone else been though this pain? Is it possible? Doesn't seem much to ask to me but it looks like it's harder than it should be!