Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim+[_5_] Tim+[_5_] is offline

Default OT opening an Excel document stored on Google Drive

Murmansk wrote:
A friend of mine works from home since last March and they use Google
Drive to store stuff and Google Sheets for spreadsheets.

Problem is some stuff needs to be in Excel as some "customers" can't use
Google sheets and need a "proper" spreadsheet!

My friend had a problem with her computer and lost access to some Excel
stuff that was on her local hard disk. I wondered why she didn't have
these vital Excel files stored on Google Drive so they'd be accessible
even though her computer was knackered.

She has some Excel files stored on Drive but claims that they end up
being opened in Google Sheets rather than Excel.

Are you getting bored yet!?

I seemed to me that she "simply" needs to go into Excel then go File,
Open, navigate to Google Drive and open the Excel file in question - but
it's not that easy it seems!

Has anyone else been though this pain? Is it possible? Doesn't seem much
to ask to me but it looks like it's harder than it should be!

I would have though that her problem is her browser settings. She needs to
tell her browser to open Excel files with Excel

Tim.

--
Please don't feed the trolls