Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT

tim... wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Brian Gaff (Sofa" wrote

One of the main issues about any on line financial services is proving
who you are. Increasingly complicated and often inaccessible ways to
prove you are a human and indeed the account holder

Bull**** with the best fingerprint and
facial recognition on your phone.

and how do you prove to the financial institute that it was you who first
registered their face/fingerprint on the phone?

anyone could buy a phone and pretend that it belongs to me, for this
purpose

Someone doing that wouldnt have access to the account.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Green" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
On 27/02/2021 11:03, John Towill wrote:
Sad to say the scammers have won, they have made it incredibly
difficult
to operate a savings account on line, blast and damn them all.

The government are remarkably releuctant to issue Covid vaccine
passports
but have done nothing about the fact that for all practical purpose you
have to own a mobile phone as banks like to use them to verify who you
are.

doesn't need to be a smart phone though

my candy bar works perfectly well for such verification

It can receive SMS messages, yes. But how will it verify your
vaccination status?

it wont

therefore it is wrong of HMG to assume everyone has suitable phone for that,
because they already have one to do online banking

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
On 28 Feb 2021 at 10:11:45 GMT, Fredxx wrote:

On 28/02/2021 10:03, Rod Speed wrote:
Fredxx wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

One of the main issues about any on line financial services is
proving who you are. Increasingly complicated and often inaccessible
ways to prove you are a human and indeed the account holder

Bull**** with the best fingerprint and
facial recognition on your phone.

Some of us use desktops.
I do too but net banking is much better done on the
phone for that reason and brian has a very decent
iphone which has the best fingerprint id around.

Both of those techniques have weaknesses.
Not with the best implementations they dont.

Try changing your fingerprint after this:
Don't need to, no fingerprint or facial data ever
leaves the phone, the phone just tells the app
that your fingerprint or face does match the
data that never ever leaves the phone and
isnt even available to someone who steals
the phone or finds it either. All the phone
ever does is say that the current fingerprint
or face matches the very securely stored
internal data. No one, not even the phone
manufacturer ever gets to see it.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-defence-firms

You've missed the point that when you biometric data is compromised
facial and fingerprints are no longer secure, and tricky to get new
credentials.

make the use so onerous that its easier over the telephone quite
often.

Bull****.

I have to use my phone to get a number to log into my account on a
desktop.
You should be doing your banking on a very secure phone.

While it will be quicker than making a call if I'm wearing a headset I
could still get on with things around me.
You can get on much easier with the best phones.
And dont try running some line about the cost of them,
there are plenty of very secure decently priced phones
that arent anything like the latest models.

I like big multi-monitors that have all the information at my fingertips
in view at the same time. A 5"x3" screen doesn't quite hack it.

I also record my calls, so I need a rooted phone after Google closed the
recording facility on new phones. So another potential security weakness
kindly created by Google.

I gave up on the fingerprint stuff when I found that to get into the phone
took 1, 2, 3 or more attempts.

Never does on mine.

**** that. A little bit longer to type in the
code but it takes the same amount of time, every time, and it works, every
time.

So does the fingerprint on mine.
You just need a well designed phone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2021 19:07, Fred wrote:

[...]

Mine works fine most of the time, but when I have been doing DIY and
have had glue, plaster, mortar, concrete or things like that on my
fingers, the fingerprint reader won't work for days.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 1 Mar 2021 05:45:05 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
On 28/02/2021 19:07, Fred wrote:

[...]

Never get anything like that with mine. What is the model of the phone ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tim...
writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
.. .
In message , tim...
writes

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
On 27/02/2021 11:03, John Towill wrote:
Sad to say the scammers have won, they have made it incredibly
difficult to operate a savings account on line, blast and damn them

The government are remarkably releuctant to issue Covid vaccine
passports but have done nothing about the fact that for all
practical purpose you have to own a mobile phone as banks like to
use them to verify who you are.

doesn't need to be a smart phone though

my candy bar works perfectly well for such verification

Huh! Amazon 2 factor requires me to click a link:-(

last time I looked

Amazon wasn't a bank

Indeed. Same assumption that all customers have a smart phone though.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 1 Mar 2021 06:35:02 +1100, Fred, better known as cantankerous

FLUSH the trolling senile pest's latest troll**** unread

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing the auto-contradicting senile cretin:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2021 19:27, Steve Walker wrote:
On 28/02/2021 19:07, Fred wrote:

[...]

I simply don't bother with passwords at all. I wouldn't use an
inherently insecure device like a mobile phone for anything important.

it's there to receive texts from couriers, banks the NHS and so on.

Likewise the gmail account it insists on is never used for anything
private and whatever zoom/whatsapp/skype goes on is so boringly
uninteresting even to me, let alone GCHQ, that I really don't care who
reads it.

Mobile phones are toys. Ultimate consumerCrap. Mine doesnt respond to
its touchscreen half the time except when I would rather it didnt.

Ergonomically it is a total disaster., Whoever thought of putting input
where you cannot actually avoid getting fingers while holding the device?

Anyone doing anything important with a phone is a ****ing idiot

--
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isnt true; the
other is to refuse to believe what is true.

Soren Kierkegaard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2021 20:01, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , tim...
writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , tim...
* writes

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
On 27/02/2021 11:03, John Towill wrote:
Sad to say the scammers have won, they have made it incredibly
difficult* to operate a savings account on line, blast and damn them

The government are remarkably releuctant to issue Covid vaccine
passports* but have done nothing about the fact that for all
practical* purpose you* have to own a mobile phone as banks like to
use them to* verify who you* are.

doesn't need to be a smart phone though

my candy bar works perfectly well for such verification

Huh! Amazon 2 factor requires me to click a link:-(

last time I looked

Amazon wasn't a bank

Indeed. Same assumption that all customers have a smart phone though.

While it's /possible/ that Amazon have it in for you I still have 2FA by
SMS and Amazon still state that's an option:

"You can receive this security code in a variety of ways depending on
the option you select during sign up, including text message, voice
call, or authenticator app."

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cus...deId=202013290

Allegedly you can turn off 2FA without contacting them - though that
requires you to authenticate by...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cus...deId=202040210

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/03/2021 09:30, Robin wrote:
On 28/02/2021 20:01, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , tim...
writes
"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , tim...
* writes
[...]

Does the SMS provide a number you can type in, or just a link you have
to click on (as Tim Lamb implied above). Or is it yet another
"configuration option" you have to know about?

If you have to (or choose to) click on a link on a smart phone, does
that mean you have to continue your work on the smart phone, rather than
the laptop or tablet you were using?

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Robin
writes
On 28/02/2021 20:01, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , tim...
writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
.. .
In message , tim...
* writes

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
On 27/02/2021 11:03, John Towill wrote:
Sad to say the scammers have won, they have made it incredibly
difficult* to operate a savings account on line, blast and damn them

The government are remarkably releuctant to issue Covid vaccine
passports* but have done nothing about the fact that for all
practical* purpose you* have to own a mobile phone as banks like
to use them to* verify who you* are.

doesn't need to be a smart phone though

my candy bar works perfectly well for such verification

Huh! Amazon 2 factor requires me to click a link:-(

last time I looked

Amazon wasn't a bank

Indeed. Same assumption that all customers have a smart phone
though.

While it's /possible/ that Amazon have it in for you I still have 2FA
by SMS and Amazon still state that's an option:

:-) I'm a cancel before prime locks in customer so I may be on a list of
some sort.
Anyway, I didn't agree 2FA. They already had my mobile number as part of
my contact details.

"You can receive this security code in a variety of ways depending on
the option you select during sign up, including text message, voice
call, or authenticator app."

Text is fine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cus...deId=202013290

Allegedly you can turn off 2FA without contacting them - though that
requires you to authenticate by...

There are lots of alternative sources for Amazon stuff and I am not
hugely supportive of their business model WRT taxation in the profit
earning country.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cus...deId=202040210

Phone call to support sounds easier:-)

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Robin
writes
On 28/02/2021 20:01, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , tim...
writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
.. .
In message , tim...
* writes

[...]

OK so I phoned Amazon. They can't turn it off! The only way this can be
done is to put my sim card in a smart phone. Once logged in, all things
are possible.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/03/2021 12:41, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Robin
writes
On 28/02/2021 20:01, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , tim...
* writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , tim...
* writes

[...]

I do not believe they have no means to cater for people who lose a phone
and cannot replace the SIM. I do believe first tier support don't want
to know it exists.

The GDPR etc is all too difficult for me so this is not guaranteed to
work (especially with Amazon - who wants to take on their lawyers?) but
you could try (a) telling Amazon you are exercising your GDPR "right to
be forgotten"[1] and then some time later (b) start again.

[1]
https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/individual-rights/right-to-erasure/

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Robin
writes
On 01/03/2021 12:41, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Robin
writes
On 28/02/2021 20:01, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , tim...
* writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , tim...
* writes

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations...tion/guide-to-
the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/individual-rights/right-to-e
rasure/

Re-register an account?
Anyway I can put my sim into a smart phone. I was just trying to avoid
having to break it down to the smaller size needed.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , tim...
writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
. ..
In message , tim...
writes

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
On 27/02/2021 11:03, John Towill wrote:
Sad to say the scammers have won, they have made it incredibly
difficult to operate a savings account on line, blast and damn them

The government are remarkably releuctant to issue Covid vaccine
passports but have done nothing about the fact that for all practical
purpose you have to own a mobile phone as banks like to use them to
verify who you are.

doesn't need to be a smart phone though

my candy bar works perfectly well for such verification

Huh! Amazon 2 factor requires me to click a link:-(

last time I looked

Amazon wasn't a bank

Indeed. Same assumption that all customers have a smart phone though.

I'm not sure what you did that required a Smartphone

my last order was made entirely on my laptop

and the delivery indication came as an SMS to my dumb phone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tim...
writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
.. .
In message , tim...
writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

The general tone from the guy on their help line was invoking 2FA is an
inertia action. A bit like prime.

He didn't say but the inference was you have to actively reject it or
chose SMS / *click link*.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2021 19:07, Fred wrote:

[...]

What make you think it is inherently insecure? Just the fact that it's
small, portable and easily stolen?

Communications with it are secured to the same standard as those to a
desktop or server class machine. It's running a Linux kernel, and has
the option of biometric as well as conventional password restricted access.

Mobile phones are toys. Ultimate consumerCrap. Mine doesnt respond to
its touchscreen half the time except when I would rather it didnt.

I do know some folks have problems getting it to respond - particularly
if they have very dry skin. "phone compatible" gloves usually solve the
problem though.

Ergonomically it is a total disaster., Whoever thought of putting input
where you cannot actually avoid getting fingers while holding the device?

Or alternatively you could argue it's a miracle of packaging, getting
that sophistication of UI into such a small form factor.

Anyone doing anything important with a phone is a ****ing idiot

Well confronted with such a thoughtfully reasoned augment, how could we
doubt you :-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/03/2021 16:35, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , tim...
writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , tim...
* writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
[...]

Is it a case that you can't log into the Amazon site from a PC without
using the 2FA?

If you receive the 2FA request via SMS (which I presume is the case with
a feature phone), is it not just a web link that you could could type
(possibly with great tedium!) manually into your browser on the desktop?
(you would presumably only need do it once, to get signed in and then
change the preference)

If it is rendered in such a way that the content is not "visible", what
happens if you use the phone's companion software to copy your text
messages to the desktop, and look at it there?

(I note on the "communications preferences" under Email alerts,
messages, ads, and cookies section I can change SMS options).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 01/03/2021 16:35, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , tim...
writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
.. .
In message , tim...
* writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
[...]

Just so.

If you receive the 2FA request via SMS (which I presume is the case
with a feature phone), is it not just a web link that you could could
type (possibly with great tedium!) manually into your browser on the
desktop? (you would presumably only need do it once, to get signed in
and then change the preference)

Indeed. Laziness comes with age:-( Also my phone has the attention span
of a Gnat so reading and typing a relatively long link requires two
hands. Not shopping with Amazon has not yet ended my world:-)

If it is rendered in such a way that the content is not "visible", what
happens if you use the phone's companion software to copy your text
messages to the desktop, and look at it there?

Visible. I don't think Alkatel considered *companion software* for the
*one touch*.

(I note on the "communications preferences" under Email alerts,
messages, ads, and cookies section I can change SMS options).

Yes. My plan: when I get back the-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/03/2021 19:20, Tim Streater wrote:
On 01 Mar 2021 at 18:48:46 GMT, John Rumm

I simply don't bother with passwords at all. I wouldn't use an
inherently insecure device like a mobile phone for anything important.

What make you think it is inherently insecure? Just the fact that it's
small, portable and easily stolen?

Apple's email client, for one thing. It will allow mails to phone home
(y'know, the 1x1 pixels jpegs to be downloaded when you read the mail). OK,
you can tell it not to download *any* images, but there should be a subtler
method than that.

Its inherently stealable, and it is pwned by google or apple depending

And Ive worked enough as a system admin to know how easy it is to access
private data held on your employing companies servers, if you really want to

Communications with it are secured to the same standard as those to a
desktop or server class machine. It's running a Linux kernel, and has
the option of biometric as well as conventional password restricted access.

On a smartphone, you have to take what you are given. No possibility to
examine its innards in any way at all. No ability to organise anything to your
own taste. Can't organise your documents, images, etc etc to suit yourself.
All of which might be OK for simplistic usage but not for doing anything
real.

In order to access email at all, it has to store passwords. If it is
stolen then bang goes that.

I don't believe that a screen lock will encrypt that data: you can
probably pull the memory card and read it or root the phone if you
nicked it:? My response = assume it will be stolen/lost and all data on
it will be accessible to a third party and don't use it for anything
critical

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2021 19:07, Fred wrote:

[...]

And even if thats what he meant, he has got that completely wrong.
With a mobile phone with the best fingerprint or facial recognition,
the phone is in fact vastly more secure than anything else, even if it
does get lost or stolen, just because no one else can use it.

Communications with it are secured to the same standard as those to a
desktop or server class machine. It's running a Linux kernel, and has the
option of biometric as well as conventional password restricted access.

Mobile phones are toys. Ultimate consumerCrap. Mine doesnt respond to
its touchscreen half the time except when I would rather it didnt.

I do know some folks have problems getting it to respond - particularly if
they have very dry skin. "phone compatible" gloves usually solve the
problem though.

Ergonomically it is a total disaster., Whoever thought of putting input
where you cannot actually avoid getting fingers while holding the device?

Or alternatively you could argue it's a miracle of packaging, getting that
sophistication of UI into such a small form factor.

Yep and the voice input works surprisingly well too.

Anyone doing anything important with a phone is a ****ing idiot

Anyone who cant work out how to answer an incoming call has dementia.

Well confronted with such a thoughtfully reasoned augment, how could we
doubt you :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
On 01 Mar 2021 at 18:48:46 GMT, John Rumm

I simply don't bother with passwords at all. I wouldn't use an
inherently insecure device like a mobile phone for anything important.

What make you think it is inherently insecure? Just the fact that it's
small, portable and easily stolen?

Apple's email client, for one thing. It will allow mails to phone home
(y'know, the 1x1 pixels jpegs to be downloaded when you read the mail).
OK,
you can tell it not to download *any* images, but there should be a
subtler
method than that.

You dont have to use that email client, you are free to use any email
client you like.

More bull****.

No ability to organise anything to your own taste.

More bull****.

n't organise your documents, images, etc etc to suit yourself.

More bull****.

All of which might be OK for simplistic usage but not for doing anything
real.

More bull****, and you dont have to do any of that
when you use it to do your net banking more securely.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 2 Mar 2021 07:01:24 +1100, Fred, better known as cantankerous

Kerr-Mudd,John addressing the auto-contradicting senile cretin:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 2 Mar 2021 06:54:39 +1100, Fred, better known as cantankerous

FLUSH the trolling senile cretin's latest troll**** unread

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/03/2021 19:20, Tim Streater wrote:
On 01 Mar 2021 at 18:48:46 GMT, John Rumm

I simply don't bother with passwords at all. I wouldn't use an
inherently insecure device like a mobile phone for anything
important.

What make you think it is inherently insecure? Just the fact that it's
small, portable and easily stolen?

Apple's email client, for one thing. It will allow mails to phone home
(y'know, the 1x1 pixels jpegs to be downloaded when you read the mail).
OK,
you can tell it not to download *any* images, but there should be a
subtler
method than that.

Its inherently stealable,

But trivial to ensure that is no use to the thief
and impossible for the thief to do anything with
your data or banking and the reality is that ****
all of us have had their phone stolen.

and it is pwned by google or apple depending

Thats bull**** with apple.

And Ive worked enough as a system admin to know how easy it is to access
private data held on your employing companies servers, if you really want

But isnt with your phone.

Communications with it are secured to the same standard as those to a
desktop or server class machine. It's running a Linux kernel, and has
the option of biometric as well as conventional password restricted
access.

On a smartphone, you have to take what you are given. No possibility to
examine its innards in any way at all. No ability to organise anything to
your
own taste. Can't organise your documents, images, etc etc to suit
yourself.
All of which might be OK for simplistic usage but not for doing anything
real.

In order to access email at all, it has to store passwords. If it is
stolen then bang goes that.

More mindless bull**** with the best smartphone.

I don't believe that a screen lock will encrypt that data:

It does anyway with the best smartphones.

you can probably pull the memory card and read it

Nope, not with the best smartphones.

or root the phone if you nicked it:?

Nope, not with the best smartphones.

My response = assume it will be stolen/lost and all data on it will be
accessible to a third party

More fool you. You are 'living' in the past, as always.

and don't use it for anything critical

More fool you. You are 'living' in the past, as always.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 2 Mar 2021 08:10:56 +1100, Fred, better known as cantankerous

FLUSH troll****

--
"Who or What is Rod Speed?
man" on the InterNet."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/03/2021 19:03, John Rumm wrote:
On 01/03/2021 16:35, Tim Lamb wrote:

The general tone from the guy on their help line was invoking 2FA is
an inertia action. A bit like prime.

He didn't say but the inference was you have to actively reject it or
chose SMS / *click link*.

Is it a case that you can't log into the Amazon site from a PC without
using the 2FA?

If you receive the 2FA request via SMS (which I presume is the case with
a feature phone), is it not just a web link that you could could type
(possibly with great tedium!) manually into your browser on the desktop?
(you would presumably only need do it once, to get signed in and then
change the preference)

Change what preference? I suspect that once you activate 2FA you can't
undo it. So far I've avoided it by clicking "not now" when they ask for
my mobile number.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Max
Demian writes
On 01/03/2021 19:03, John Rumm wrote:
On 01/03/2021 16:35, Tim Lamb wrote:

The general tone from the guy on their help line was invoking 2FA is
an inertia action. A bit like prime.

He didn't say but the inference was you have to actively reject it
or chose SMS / *click link*.

Is it a case that you can't log into the Amazon site from a PC
without using the 2FA?
If you receive the 2FA request via SMS (which I presume is the case
with a feature phone), is it not just a web link that you could could
type (possibly with great tedium!) manually into your browser on the
desktop? (you would presumably only need do it once, to get signed in
and then change the preference)

Change what preference? I suspect that once you activate 2FA you can't
undo it. So far I've avoided it by clicking "not now" when they ask for
my mobile number.

I think word has got round!

When I went to log in this evening, I got a *capcha* test followed by
clicking a link in an e mail.

However, there seemed no understandable way of avoiding 2FA. or of
choosing SMS ( you can select a no 2FA desk top but I suspect clearing
cookies will wreck this) I suppose deleting the mobile number would work
but it is helpful when the delivery driver needs to use it.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/03/2021 19:20, Tim Streater wrote:
On 01 Mar 2021 at 18:48:46 GMT, John Rumm

I simply don't bother with passwords at all. I wouldn't use an
inherently insecure device like a mobile phone for anything important.

What make you think it is inherently insecure? Just the fact that it's
small, portable and easily stolen?

Apple's email client, for one thing. It will allow mails to phone home
(y'know, the 1x1 pixels jpegs to be downloaded when you read the mail). OK,
you can tell it not to download *any* images, but there should be a subtler
method than that.

That may be a limitation, but it's a limitation of one manufacturer's
application, not the whole phone. Other mail applications are available.

Communications with it are secured to the same standard as those to a
desktop or server class machine. It's running a Linux kernel, and has
the option of biometric as well as conventional password restricted access.

On a smartphone, you have to take what you are given. No possibility to
examine its innards in any way at all.

Depends on who you are... you can even get source code licenses for
Windows if you are sufficiently reputable and have deep pockets!

No ability to organise anything to your
own taste. Can't organise your documents, images, etc etc to suit yourself.

Again, an Apple thing - think different and all that.

All of which might be OK for simplistic usage but not for doing anything
real.

Bluetooth a keyboard and mouse to one, and cast its display to a TV, and
you have a fully functional word processor or spreadsheet etc. It may
not be your go to device for heavyweight applications, but there are
plenty of jobs it can do successfully if you want.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/03/2021 19:20, Tim Streater wrote:
On 01 Mar 2021 at 18:48:46 GMT, John Rumm

* I simply don't bother with passwords at all. I wouldn't use an
* inherently insecure device like a mobile phone for anything
important.

What make you think it is inherently insecure? Just the fact that it's
small, portable and easily stolen?

Apple's email client, for one thing. It will allow mails to phone home
(y'know, the 1x1 pixels jpegs to be downloaded when* you read the
mail). OK,
you can tell it not to download *any* images, but there should be a
subtler
method than that.

Its inherently stealable,

like a laptop then...

and it is pwned by google or apple depending

True, although you get to choose what you sync with the cloud. Having
said that the internet is "owned" by google, aws, azure etc, and their
subsiduary data brokers, so don't kid yourself what you do on your PC is
any less visible.

And Ive worked enough as a system admin to know how easy it is to access
private data held on your employing companies servers, if you really
want to

Well there is some truth to that. But again its still holds for most
desktop users as well.

(and at least ISTR Apple have been quite good at resisting attempts by
the various US 3 letter agencies to get backdoor access to their data)

Communications with it are secured to the same standard as those to a
desktop or server class machine. It's running a Linux kernel, and has
the option of biometric as well as conventional password restricted
access.

On a smartphone, you have to take what you are given. No possibility to
examine its innards in any way at all. No ability to organise anything
to your
own taste. Can't organise your documents, images, etc etc to suit
yourself.
All of which might be OK for simplistic usage but not for doing anything
real.

In order to access email at all, it has to store passwords. If it is
stolen then bang goes that.

Only if you don't have access controls turned on. Phones are somewhat
better than most PCs in this respect[1] since they usually have
encryption enabled either by default (apple) or as a user selectable
option set during first boot and elsewhere. The tight system integration
makes it significantly more difficult to extract data from flash without
a valid way to login.

[1] full disk encryption is not enabled by default and not available out
of the box without hardware support from a TPM, and an OS that supports
it (i.e. Win Pro / Enterprise, but not Home).

I don't believe that a screen lock will encrypt that data: you can

It will be encrypted all the time typically.

probably* pull the memory card and read it or root the phone if you

Most phones don't even have memory cards, and for those that do,
encryption is a standard question when you insert and format the card.

nicked it:? My response = assume it will be stolen/lost and all data on
it will be accessible to a third party and don't use it for anything
critical

As long as it was not setup by a complete incompetent, there are no easy
options for someone without legitimate access to get into the device.
You also have the option to do a remote wipe of the phone.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/03/2021 19:19, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
On 01/03/2021 16:35, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , tim...
* writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , tim...
* writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
[...]

Dictating the URL to a helper may be the more expedient way. Then once
logged in on the desktop, you can change the 2FA settings once and for all.

If it is rendered in such a way that the content is not "visible",
what happens if you use the phone's companion software to copy your
text messages to the desktop, and look at it there?

Visible. I don't think Alkatel considered *companion software* for the
*one touch*.

They used to host it on the main web site, however there are various
third party links to it:

https://alcatel-one-touch-pc-suite.s....com/download/

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 01/03/2021 16:35, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , tim...
writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , tim...
writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
[...]

you can certainly log on

just done it

you can add things to a basket

can't verify whether you need it to complete such a purchase

I have nothing I want to buy ATM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tim...
writes

"John Rumm" wrote in message
news:gZSdnYJ5yrj5p6D9nZ2dnUU78KHNnZ2d@brightview. co.uk...
On 01/03/2021 16:35, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , tim...
writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
. ..
In message , tim...
writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
[...]

Have you given them a mobile phone number?

They let me in yesterday using a capcha followed by a mail response.

Once in, I tried hard to find a way of setting up SMS 2FA without
success:-(

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
Bull**** with the best fingerprint and
facial recognition on your phone.

Why is it you think your phone is trustworthy? Especially
if it's an android, given the almost universally poor
update provision for them. For that matter, why is it
you trust the fingerprint & facial recognition algorithms?
Or, and merely as a parting shot, you understand, why
is it you assume the guy who might have just nicked your
phone doesn't know anyone who can help out?

#Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

#Paul wrote
Rod Speed wrote:

Bull**** with the best fingerprint and
facial recognition on your phone.

Why is it you think your phone is trustworthy?

Because I realise that apple goes out of its way to ensure that
there is no way to get your biometric data out of the phone.

Especially if it's an android,

It isnt.

given the almost universally poor
update provision for them.

Which is one of the reasons it isnt an android.

For that matter, why is it you trust the
fingerprint & facial recognition algorithms?

Because they have been very thoroughly tested
and no one has been able to fool them.

Or, and merely as a parting shot, you understand, why
is it you assume the guy who might have just nicked
your phone doesn't know anyone who can help out?

I know that there is no one who can help out given
that even the FBI couldnt find anyone to do that
when they needed the data with current iphones.
And that was just the data on the phone, not the
biometric data that is vastly more securely held.

The biometric data that is kept on the phone
very securely ONLY allows the phone to see
if the fingerprint or face matches, it can't be
reversed to produce a fingerprint or face so
even the best forensics cant take a phone that
a crim has managed to leave at the scene and
turn into a fingerprint or face so they can work
out who the criminal actually is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2021 21:19, Rod Speed wrote:
#Paul wrote
Rod Speed wrote:

The biometric data that is kept on the phone
very securely ONLY allows the phone to see
if the fingerprint or face matches, it can't be
reversed to produce a fingerprint or face so
even the best forensics cant take a phone that
a crim has managed to leave at the scene and
turn into a fingerprint or face so they can work
out who the criminal actually is.

One of the security issues with fingerprint readers is that they still
work when you are asleep. (Not a problem if you lose your phone but can
be a problem for those in abusive relationships).

If a phone was lost at the scene of a crime are law enforcement allowed
to ask suspects to just put your thumb here for a moment?

Surely the same applies to face rec - hold the phone up to a suspects
face and job done. Bet they wished they used a PIN now.

--
Chris B (News)