Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default OT

On 01/03/2021 12:41, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Robin
writes
On 28/02/2021 20:01, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , tim...
Â* writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , tim...
Â* writes

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
On 27/02/2021 11:03, John Towill wrote:
Sad to say the scammers have won, they have made it incredibly
difficultÂ* to operate a savings account on line, blast and damn
them

The government are remarkably releuctant to issue Covid vaccine
passportsÂ* but have done nothing about the fact that for all
practicalÂ* purpose youÂ* have to own a mobile phone as banks like
toÂ* use them toÂ* verify who youÂ* are.

doesn't need to be a smart phone though

my candy bar works perfectly well for such verification

Huh! Amazon 2 factor requires me to click a link:-(

last time I looked

Amazon wasn't a bank
Â*Indeed. Same assumption that all customers have a smart phone though.

While it's /possible/ that Amazon have it in for you I still have 2FA
by SMS and Amazon still state that's an option:

"You can receive this security code in a variety of ways depending on
the option you select during sign up, including text message, voice
call, or authenticator app."

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cus...deId=202013290

Allegedly you can turn off 2FA without contacting them - though that
requires you to authenticate by...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cus...deId=202040210

OK so I phoned Amazon. They can't turn it off! The only way this can be
done is to put my sim card in a smart phone. Once logged in, all things
are possible.

I do not believe they have no means to cater for people who lose a phone
and cannot replace the SIM. I do believe first tier support don't want
to know it exists.

The GDPR etc is all too difficult for me so this is not guaranteed to
work (especially with Amazon - who wants to take on their lawyers?) but
you could try (a) telling Amazon you are exercising your GDPR "right to
be forgotten"[1] and then some time later (b) start again.

[1]
https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/individual-rights/right-to-erasure/

--
Robin