Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT

Sad to say the scammers have won, they have made it incredibly difficult
to operate a savings account on line, blast and damn them all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2021 11:03, John Towill wrote:
Sad to say the scammers have won, they have made it incredibly difficult
to operate a savings account on line, blast and damn them all.

why zat ?...got me worried
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2021 11:04, Jimmy Stewart ... wrote:
On 27/02/2021 11:03, John Towill wrote:
Sad to say the scammers have won, they have made it incredibly
difficult to operate a savings account on line, blast and damn them all.

why zat ?...got me worried

My thoughts too. With banks now responsible for losses through hacks I
would say now is a good time.

A saving account payment is likely to be required to be channelled
through a current account so an additional level of protection.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx posted
On 27/02/2021 11:04, Jimmy Stewart ... wrote:
On 27/02/2021 11:03, John Towill wrote:
Sad to say the scammers have won, they have made it incredibly
difficult to operate a savings account on line, blast and damn them all.

why zat ?...got me worried

My thoughts too. With banks now responsible for losses through hacks I
would say now is a good time.

Banks aren't responsible for push payment frauds though, which are the
most common at the moment. Nor for cloned website frauds.

A saving account payment is likely to be required to be channelled
through a current account so an additional level of protection.

True, if you set up the savings account with the genuine provider in the
first place.

--
Algernon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2021 11:03, John Towill wrote:
Sad to say the scammers have won, they have made it incredibly difficult
to operate a savings account on line, blast and damn them all.

Why ?.

If you use strong passwords and/or 2FA and you aren't using
a hotmail account as part of your login I don't see what the
issue is. Surely everyone now knows about these scams and is
or should be suspicious of anyone phoning and claiming to be
from your bank.

I have a suspicion that those Santander accounts where you
got an economically impossible rate of interest on your
current account are the ones that the fraudsters with inside
bank information preyed on.

Since base rate is 0.1% and 10 year gilts are about 0.7%
you might as well stick the whole lot in premium bonds
until interest rates are closer to where they should be
(inflation + 1%).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Towill wrote

Sad to say the scammers have won, they have
made it incredibly difficult to operate a savings
account on line, blast and damn them all.

Completely effortless for me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2021 14:26, Andrew wrote:
[...]

I did ... can't wait 'till Monday
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2021 14:00, Algernon Goss-Custard wrote:
Fredxx posted
On 27/02/2021 11:04, Jimmy Stewart ... wrote:
On 27/02/2021 11:03, John Towill wrote:
Sad to say the scammers have won, they have made it incredibly
difficult to operate a savings account on line, blast and damn them
all.
why zat ?...got me worried

My thoughts too. With banks now responsible for losses through hacks I
would say now is a good time.

Banks aren't responsible for push payment frauds though, which are the
most common at the moment. Nor for cloned website frauds.

They like to argue that, but the law is not totally in their favour on
this - especially if they don't implement confirmation of payee:

https://excellolaw.co.uk/excellolaw-...fraud-victims/

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 01:41 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard is out of Bed and TROLLING, already!!!! LOL

On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 01:41:20 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

01:41??? And it's trolling time for you ALREADY, you disgusting perverted
senile swine and troll from Oz?

--
Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

Since base rate is 0.1% and 10 year gilts are about 0.7%
you might as well stick the whole lot in premium bonds
until interest rates are closer to where they should be
(inflation + 1%).

You might as well spend it all! :-)

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2021 15:18, John Rumm wrote:
On 27/02/2021 14:00, Algernon Goss-Custard wrote:
Fredxx posted
On 27/02/2021 11:04, Jimmy Stewart ... wrote:
On 27/02/2021 11:03, John Towill wrote:
Sad to say the scammers have won, they have made it incredibly
difficult to operate a savings account on line, blast and damn them
all.
why zat ?...got me worried

My thoughts too. With banks now responsible for losses through hacks
I would say now is a good time.

Banks aren't responsible for push payment frauds though, which are the
most common at the moment. Nor for cloned website frauds.

They like to argue that, but the law is not totally in their favour on
this - especially if they don't implement confirmation of payee:

The cases discussed there (Quinecare and Singularis) involved in essence
fraud carried out by an agent of the account holder (the latter a
director of a company on the company's account). I don't think they
give much comfort to the personal account holder who authorises a
transfer as a result of a scam. The High Court confirmed last month
that the "Quinecare duty of care" doesn't extend to the individuals.

https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=3eb91ee6-dedc-4d89-9393-6afe517a868b

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2021 11:03, John Towill wrote:
Sad to say the scammers have won, they have made it incredibly difficult
to operate a savings account on line, blast and damn them all.

Only difficult for the stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2021 16:06, alan_m wrote:
On 27/02/2021 11:03, John Towill wrote:
Sad to say the scammers have won, they have made it incredibly
difficult to operate a savings account on line, blast and damn them all.

Only difficult for the stupid.

In which case people with learning difficulties should get extra
protection. Or are you one who feels that handicapped people aren't
worth bothering about?

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2021 15:47, Chris Green wrote:
Andrew wrote:

Since base rate is 0.1% and 10 year gilts are about 0.7%
you might as well stick the whole lot in premium bonds
until interest rates are closer to where they should be
(inflation + 1%).

You might as well spend it all! :-)

That will create inflation though, which the worry that
is sending US 10Y bond yields over 1.5% and heading north
since mid january.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2021 11:03, John Towill wrote:
Sad to say the scammers have won, they have made it incredibly difficult
to operate a savings account on line, blast and damn them all.

The government are remarkably releuctant to issue Covid vaccine
passports but have done nothing about the fact that for all practical
purpose you have to own a mobile phone as banks like to use them to
verify who you are.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

Since base rate is 0.1% and 10 year gilts are about 0.7%
you might as well stick the whole lot in premium bonds
until interest rates are closer to where they should be
(inflation + 1%).

You might as well spend it all! :-)

That will create inflation though, which the worry that
is sending US 10Y bond yields over 1.5% and heading north
since mid january.

1.5% is hardly big money yet is it!

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:
On 27/02/2021 11:03, John Towill wrote:
Sad to say the scammers have won, they have made it incredibly difficult
to operate a savings account on line, blast and damn them all.

The government are remarkably releuctant to issue Covid vaccine
passports but have done nothing about the fact that for all practical
purpose you have to own a mobile phone as banks like to use them to
verify who you are.

What is the connection between these two unrelated things?

There is absolutely no need for a mobile phone to use bank 2FA, there
are quite a few alternatives.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2021 19:55, Michael Chare wrote:
On 27/02/2021 11:03, John Towill wrote:
Sad to say the scammers have won, they have made it incredibly
difficult to operate a savings account on line, blast and damn them all.

The government are remarkably releuctant to issue Covid vaccine
passports but have done nothing about the fact that for all practical
purpose you have to own a mobile phone as banks like to use them to
verify who you are.

Are you suggesting we should be able to pickup Covid Vaccine Passports,
like you do mobile phones at phone shops using a few folding beer tokens?

That's a new one!

Can I get a Covid Vaccine Passport for each bank? How many would I need?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

How exactly have they done that then? Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"John Towill" wrote in message
Sad to say the scammers have won, they have made it incredibly difficult
to operate a savings account on line, blast and damn them all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

One of the main issues about any on line financial services is proving who
you are. Increasingly complicated and often inaccessible ways to prove you
are a human and indeed the account holder make the use so onerous that its
easier over the telephone quite often.

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 27/02/2021 11:04, Jimmy Stewart ... wrote:
On 27/02/2021 11:03, John Towill wrote:
Sad to say the scammers have won, they have made it incredibly difficult
to operate a savings account on line, blast and damn them all.

why zat ?...got me worried

My thoughts too. With banks now responsible for losses through hacks I
would say now is a good time.

A saving account payment is likely to be required to be channelled through
a current account so an additional level of protection.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa" wrote

One of the main issues about any on line financial services is proving who
you are. Increasingly complicated and often inaccessible ways to prove you
are a human and indeed the account holder

Bull**** with the best fingerprint and
facial recognition on your phone.

make the use so onerous that its easier over the telephone quite often.

Bull****.

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 27/02/2021 11:04, Jimmy Stewart ... wrote:
On 27/02/2021 11:03, John Towill wrote:
Sad to say the scammers have won, they have made it incredibly
difficult to operate a savings account on line, blast and damn them
all.
why zat ?...got me worried

My thoughts too. With banks now responsible for losses through hacks I
would say now is a good time.

A saving account payment is likely to be required to be channelled
through a current account so an additional level of protection.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 19:32:29 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile pest's latest troll****

--
"Who or What is Rod Speed?
man" on the InterNet."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2021 08:32, Rod Speed wrote:
Brian Gaff (Sofa" wrote

One of the main issues about any on line financial services is proving
who you are. Increasingly complicated and often inaccessible ways to
prove you are a human and indeed the account holder

Bull**** with the best fingerprint and
facial recognition on your phone.

Some of us use desktops. Both of those techniques have weaknesses.

Try changing your fingerprint after this:

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-defence-firms

make the use so onerous that its easier over the telephone quite often.

Bull****.

I have to use my phone to get a number to log into my account on a
desktop. While it will be quicker than making a call if I'm wearing a
headset I could still get on with things around me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

One of the main issues about any on line financial services is proving
who you are. Increasingly complicated and often inaccessible ways to
prove you are a human and indeed the account holder

Bull**** with the best fingerprint and
facial recognition on your phone.

Some of us use desktops.

I do too but net banking is much better done on the
phone for that reason and brian has a very decent
iphone which has the best fingerprint id around.

Both of those techniques have weaknesses.

Not with the best implementations they don’t.

Try changing your fingerprint after this:

Don't need to, no fingerprint or facial data ever
leaves the phone, the phone just tells the app
that your fingerprint or face does match the
data that never ever leaves the phone and
isnt even available to someone who steals
the phone or finds it either. All the phone
ever does is say that the current fingerprint
or face matches the very securely stored
internal data. No one, not even the phone
manufacturer ever gets to see it.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-defence-firms

make the use so onerous that its easier over the telephone quite often.

Bull****.

I have to use my phone to get a number to log into my account on a
desktop.

You should be doing your banking on a very secure phone.

While it will be quicker than making a call if I'm wearing a headset I
could still get on with things around me.

You can get on much easier with the best phones.

And don’t try running some line about the cost of them,
there are plenty of very secure decently priced phones
that arent anything like the latest models.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2021 10:03, Rod Speed wrote:
Fredxx wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

[...]

You've missed the point that when you biometric data is compromised
facial and fingerprints are no longer secure, and tricky to get new
credentials.

make the use so onerous that its easier over the telephone quite often.

Bull****.

I have to use my phone to get a number to log into my account on a
desktop.

You should be doing your banking on a very secure phone.

While it will be quicker than making a call if I'm wearing a headset I
could still get on with things around me.

You can get on much easier with the best phones.

And don’t try running some line about the cost of them,
there are plenty of very secure decently priced phones
that arent anything like the latest models.

I like big multi-monitors that have all the information at my fingertips
in view at the same time. A 5"x3" screen doesn't quite hack it.

I also record my calls, so I need a rooted phone after Google closed the
recording facility on new phones. So another potential security weakness
kindly created by Google.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 21:03:05 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Looks like you found another troll-feeding asshole who will keep feeding
you, regardless of how much and often you abuse him. What a senile ********
Usenet has become!

--
Bod addressing senile Rot:
"Rod, you have a sick twisted mind. I suggest you stop your mindless
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Brian Gaff (Sofa" wrote

One of the main issues about any on line financial services is proving
who you are. Increasingly complicated and often inaccessible ways to
prove you are a human and indeed the account holder

Bull**** with the best fingerprint and
facial recognition on your phone.

and how do you prove to the financial institute that it was you who first
registered their face/fingerprint on the phone?

anyone could buy a phone and pretend that it belongs to me, for this purpose

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
On 27/02/2021 11:03, John Towill wrote:
Sad to say the scammers have won, they have made it incredibly difficult
to operate a savings account on line, blast and damn them all.

The government are remarkably releuctant to issue Covid vaccine passports
but have done nothing about the fact that for all practical purpose you
have to own a mobile phone as banks like to use them to verify who you
are.

doesn't need to be a smart phone though

my candy bar works perfectly well for such verification

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2021 10:42, tim... wrote:

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
On 27/02/2021 11:03, John Towill wrote:
Sad to say the scammers have won, they have made it incredibly
difficult to operate a savings account on line, blast and damn them all.

The government are remarkably releuctant to issue Covid vaccine
passports but have done nothing about the fact that for all practical
purpose you have to own a mobile phone as banks like to use them to
verify who you are.

doesn't need to be a smart phone though

my candy bar works perfectly well for such verification

you can't beat a nokia 1100
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tim...
writes

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
On 27/02/2021 11:03, John Towill wrote:
Sad to say the scammers have won, they have made it incredibly
difficult to operate a savings account on line, blast and damn them

The government are remarkably releuctant to issue Covid vaccine
passports but have done nothing about the fact that for all practical
purpose you have to own a mobile phone as banks like to use them to
verify who you are.

doesn't need to be a smart phone though

my candy bar works perfectly well for such verification

Huh! Amazon 2 factor requires me to click a link:-(

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

Since base rate is 0.1% and 10 year gilts are about 0.7%
you might as well stick the whole lot in premium bonds
until interest rates are closer to where they should be
(inflation + 1%).

You might as well spend it all! :-)

That will create inflation though, which the worry that
is sending US 10Y bond yields over 1.5% and heading north
since mid january.

1.5% is hardly big money yet is it!

It was enough to knock 20% off US tech valuations last week.

What people forget is that even when building societies were
offering 1,2,3 year deposits paying 7%, it was because 10-year
bond yields were slightly higher, and more importantly
inflation was probably about 6%. People don't notice inflation
until it gets out of hand and bank base rate (which was always
politically motivated) goes up.

If we are heading back to a period of higher inflation then it
might be better time to think about with-profits funds again,
shock horror.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , tim...
writes

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
On 27/02/2021 11:03, John Towill wrote:
Sad to say the scammers have won, they have made it incredibly
difficult to operate a savings account on line, blast and damn them

The government are remarkably releuctant to issue Covid vaccine
passports but have done nothing about the fact that for all practical
purpose you have to own a mobile phone as banks like to use them to
verify who you are.

doesn't need to be a smart phone though

my candy bar works perfectly well for such verification

Huh! Amazon 2 factor requires me to click a link:-(

last time I looked

Amazon wasn't a bank

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
On 27/02/2021 11:03, John Towill wrote:
Sad to say the scammers have won, they have made it incredibly difficult
to operate a savings account on line, blast and damn them all.

The government are remarkably releuctant to issue Covid vaccine passports
but have done nothing about the fact that for all practical purpose you
have to own a mobile phone as banks like to use them to verify who you
are.

doesn't need to be a smart phone though

my candy bar works perfectly well for such verification

It can receive SMS messages, yes. But how will it verify your
vaccination status?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Fredxx wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

[...]

You missed the point that that cant be compromised
with the best smartphones which never let your
biometric data out of the phone, even if the phone has
been stolen or has been left behind outside the home.

And which wipes the entire phone when the thief or
finder has failed to unlock the phone after a small
number of tries, because its so easy to train it for
your fingerprint or face if you need to do that again.

make the use so onerous that its easier over the telephone quite
often.

Bull****.

I have to use my phone to get a number to log into my account on a
desktop.

You should be doing your banking on a very secure phone.

While it will be quicker than making a call if I'm wearing a headset I
could still get on with things around me.

You can get on much easier with the best phones.

And don’t try running some line about the cost of them,
there are plenty of very secure decently priced phones
that arent anything like the latest models.

I like big multi-monitors that have all the information at my fingertips
in view at the same time.

So do I but have enough of a clue to do the net
banking on my vastly more secure smartphone.

A 5"x3" screen doesn't quite hack it.

Bull**** it doesn’t when doing net banking transactions.

I also record my calls, so I need a rooted phone after Google closed the
recording facility on new phones. So another potential security weakness
kindly created by Google.

Anyone with even half a clue doesn’t use such
a grossly insecure system for net banking.