Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The saga of my new smart meters

On 04/02/2021 14:26, alan_m wrote:
Hmm

I checked 5 weeks ago and recently as 2 weeks ago and Avro were not
offered.

I've just been in and even setting the filters to show only my current
supplier (with various combinations of other filters) reveals no
results. This is on the "DIY selection" option rather than "auto switch"
or "pick me a tariff"

Try deleting your cookies. You might have one identifying you
as an existing customer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jimmy Stewart ... used his keyboard to write :
this swapping is just a waste of time in my opinion with problems like that
...your just giving crappy jobs to salesmen ...

I never deal with salesmen, I use Martin Lewis's site, to show me the
best deals each year and simply swap every time I find a better deal.
Over the years I have saved hundreds, it only takes me a few minute to
swap suppliers.

The Smart Meters are not really a problem - I take a weekly reading of
E, G and W, for my own interest to put in a spreadsheet. At the same
time as I enter the details in the sheet, I fill the same readings in
on my suppliers web site.

I have stuck with British Gas
for gas and lecy for decades and avoided all the hassle.....and I hate the
chuggerers that accost you in the street and ask who you have your gas and
lecy with....I just tell them it is none of their effin business.....

Likewise, I have no time for them and they get the same response from
me. It would be waste of time talking to them anyway, they could not
come close to matching what I pay for E and G, or the landline phone,
or my mobile service.

You are stuck with what ever rates the E and G offer, but I always
negotiate for phone/broadband and my mobile service costs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/2021 14:23, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 04 Feb 2021 14:17:02 +0000, Andrew wrote:

On 04/02/2021 14:13, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 04 Feb 2021 13:55:42 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Tim+ wrote:

Jethro_uk wrote:

The only advantage smart meter give is to a supplier who wants to
cut you off remotely.
There is no other advantage to anyone else whatsoever.

Nope. They enable variable tariffs (as in, varying every 30 minutes)
that cant be implemented any other way.
These can be an advantage to some users.

For now.

The octopus agile tariff increasingly frequently hits the punitive
35p/unit at peak times, and their average 24h price often exceeds my
all-day rate ... I expect the advantage will continue to be eroded.

As soon as the little man can leverage this to their advantage, it'll
be disappeared.

Many years ago I was chatting to someone from the Dot about LPG
conversion for cars - which could save a lot of money if you could
spare the tank. He said that obviously the moment enough drivers
switched, the duty would rocket (and he was surprised if anyone thought
otherwise).

Luckily, for various reasons, LPG cars never became a thing. But they
were certainly plugged with grants for conversions.

You cannot take a vehicle with retro-fitted LPG through the Channel
Tunnel.

While true, and noteworthy, I suspect it would not have been mentioned by
any of the 10,000,000 car owners who chose not to have their cars
converted

When I worked in logistics software, we had to prepare maps for Messr, BOC
and Calor Gas that avoided tunnels.

Only tunnels that have a dip in the middle though, like the
Mersey? tunnels.

There are short level tunnels that the M4 passes through at BrynGlas
where an LPG leak would just ?pour back into the river.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/2021 14:26, Jimmy Stewart ... wrote:
On 04/02/2021 11:07, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Peter James pretended :
Now I'm 83 years of age, and grovelling around on my knees to take
photographs
of so-called smart meters set two feet off the floor, is not top of my
priorities.

When asked to provide a photo (never yet for my meters), I decide
whether I have or have not got a camera to provide a photo, dependent
on how helpful I happen to feel to the photo requirer.

No one should expect you to have a digital camera, or a printer, or
even access to a computer.

I certainly don't have any of those .....

Are you posting to uk.d-i-y using telepathy ??
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon used his keyboard to write :
Your choice to spend your money as you see fit, but not one I
would make.

+1

Those who stick pay more, which helps those who regularly move get an
even better deal. Jim and others like him are helping to pay my bills.

My present E&G contract, was due to end in March. In November the ML
site suggested my present supplier offered a slightly better tariff
than the one I presently had with them, so I rang my supplier and asked
them to move me over to the new tariff. Not only did it save me a few
pounds from November to March, but it has tied them into a fixed price
deal with me lasting through to November, which saves me around £100
compared to moving as I would have done in March.

I don't use the compare sites, because they take a back hander from the
suppliers. The ML site is more honest and list all the suppliers,
irrespective of whether they get a back hander or not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
On 04/02/2021 14:26, alan_m wrote:
Hmm

I checked 5 weeks ago and recently as 2 weeks ago and Avro were not
offered.

I've just been in and even setting the filters to show only my current
supplier (with various combinations of other filters) reveals no
results. This is on the "DIY selection" option rather than "auto
switch" or "pick me a tariff"

Try deleting your cookies. You might have one identifying you
as an existing customer.

Where "cookies" is a euphemism.

Some sites "request you enable cookies" when cookies
are already enabled. They use other things like DOM storage.
There are a number of ways the sites already work around
cookie blockers. They will even abuse the history or places
features (hammer your browser), in order to store information
by nefarious means.

There are things to clean out. Many things to clean out :-)
And probably not an actual cookie, because that's "so 1980's".

Sites like this one, allow a person to test their hand
at "removing evidence" from a browser.

https://samy.pl/evercookie/

One sage suggestion on that site...

"So far, I've found that using Private Browsing..."

Try visiting the web site in a Private window and
see if the information exchange is less biased.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Thu, 04 Feb 2021 15:11:31 +0000, Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:

Chris J Dixon used his keyboard to write :
Your choice to spend your money as you see fit, but not one I would
make.

+1

Those who stick pay more, which helps those who regularly move get an
even better deal. Jim and others like him are helping to pay my bills.

It can be the same with car insurance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/2021 15:11, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Those who stick pay more, which helps those who regularly move get an
even better deal. Jim and others like him are helping to pay my bills.

I'm surprised you don't have solar PV too, so that you can stick
your FIT's on your neighbours bills too.

If Boris and Princess nut nuts are serious about so-called decarbonising
the economy then expect those green taxes that pump up electricity bills
to be moved in whole or part over to gas bills instead.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/2021 15:44, jon wrote:
On Thu, 04 Feb 2021 15:11:31 +0000, Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:

Chris J Dixon used his keyboard to write :
Your choice to spend your money as you see fit, but not one I would
make.

+1

Those who stick pay more, which helps those who regularly move get an
even better deal. Jim and others like him are helping to pay my bills.

It can be the same with car insurance.

And annuity rates, but sex used to affect those until the
EU intervened.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Thu, 04 Feb 2021 10:33:53 -0500, Paul wrote:

Andrew wrote:
[...]

Not with me, I use a volatile system drive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

Jethro_uk wrote:

[...]

And guess what, all LPG converters have to be approved for you to get
insurance, but only some were approved for the government grant scheme
work - and they all quoted a price that was higher than the non-grant
scheme companies, that just happened to be higher by the amount of the
grant! What a waste of public money.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/2021 14:49, Andrew wrote:
On 04/02/2021 14:26, alan_m wrote:
Hmm

I checked 5 weeks ago and recently as 2 weeks ago and Avro were not
offered.

I've just been in and even setting the filters to show only my current
supplier (with various combinations of other filters) reveals no
results. This is on the "DIY selection" option rather than "auto
switch" or "pick me a tariff"

Try deleting your cookies. You might have one identifying you
as an existing customer.

No luck there, I even tried a different browser with all cookies cleared.

The site already knows what supplier I'm with -it's part of the
information the site saves along with my personal details.

I wonder if there is a bug in their software by not giving the prices
from my existing supplier that are more expensive than my current deal
(which runs out in 12 days time). Prices have gone up, including Avro,
since I took out a contract 12 months ago but Avro are still offering
deals competitive with what the cheapenergyclub site is offering as best
buys.

I'm not too worried as I have already signed up with Avro for another 12
months and I can change or swap at any time without incurring an early
termination fee.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/2021 14:15, Andrew wrote:
On 04/02/2021 11:07, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Peter James pretended :
Now I'm 83 years of age, and grovelling around on my knees to take
photographs
of so-called smart meters set two feet off the floor, is not top of my
priorities.

When asked to provide a photo (never yet for my meters), I decide
whether I have or have not got a camera to provide a photo, dependent
on how helpful I happen to feel to the photo requirer.

No one should expect you to have a digital camera, or a printer, or
even access to a computer.

I thought 'everyone' had a smart phone these days, which is all
you need. No computer access needed.
(I don't have a mobile phone, but I have suitable digital cameras).

I have worked in places where any phone with a camera was banned for
security reasons - limiting people to good old Nokias and the like. I
have also worked in places where smart phones cannot be taken into
meeting rooms, as there is no way to be sure that they are not infected
with something that covertly evesdrops on the discussions.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/2021 15:44, jon wrote:
On Thu, 04 Feb 2021 15:11:31 +0000, Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:

Chris J Dixon used his keyboard to write :
Your choice to spend your money as you see fit, but not one I would
make.

+1

Those who stick pay more, which helps those who regularly move get an
even better deal. Jim and others like him are helping to pay my bills.

It can be the same with car insurance.

I've just changed car insurers for a policy starting in a few weeks
time. My renewal quote from my current insurer was ONLY up £6 from last
year and I thought I got a reasonable deal then.

5 minutes of searching revealed a few better deals at 10% less, one of
which I've taken. Some companies are offering some of the optional
extras as included in the cheaper price as well as no compulsory excess
etc. (but only for one year - small print - so an inflated renewal quote
next year).

The lesson is that even if the rise in premium looks rather
insignificant it's probably because the market is more competitive and
other insurers may have cut their prices and/or offered more for the money.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

Jethro_uk wrote:

[...]

It will soon be the same with electric cars. The tax obtained from the
owning and running of any type of car will be normalised, and not to the
current low of a electric car.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/2021 16:27, Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

I could work there with my 1100
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/2021 13:29, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Jimmy Stewart ... wrote:

this swapping is just a waste of time in my opinion with problems like
that ...your just giving crappy jobs to salesmen ...I have stuck with
British Gas for gas and lecy for decades and avoided all the
hassle....

Your choice to spend your money as you see fit, but not one I
would make.

Chris

less hassle is worth paying for ..... but and I'm normally cheap
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote

The only advantage smart meter give is to a
supplier who wants to cut you off remotely.

Bull****.

There is no other advantage to anyone else whatsoever.

Bull****. It also allows the meters to be read automatically so
there is no longer any need for anyone to read it manually.

We can deduce this from the absolute cobblers they
try to get the gullible (sorry OP) to sign up for them ...

Mindlessly silly.

reams of your even sillier **** flushed where it belongs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield"; "Esq." wrote in message
Peter James pretended :
Now I'm 83 years of age, and grovelling around on my knees to take
photographs
of so-called smart meters set two feet off the floor, is not top of my
priorities.

When asked to provide a photo (never yet for my meters), I decide whether
I have or have not got a camera to provide a photo, dependent on how
helpful I happen to feel to the photo requirer.

No one should expect you to have a digital camera, or a printer, or even
access to a computer.

they expect you to have smart phone and to whats app it too them

Conversations of:

"sorry I can't do that"

"Oh it's simple all you have to do ..."

"No, I mean my phone isn't capable of doing that"

are usually met with incredulity

I know that there are more than a dozen in my block who don't have email. I
haven't managed a survey of who does/doesn't have a smart phone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:

[...]

I used to have a smart phone, in fact I went through at least two or
three but I eventually decided they were so useless as phones that
I've now moved back to a 'feature phone'. For the things that I use a
phone for (making phone calls mostly) it's far better than a smartphone.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 5 Feb 2021 06:16:18 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Website (from 2007) dedicated to the 86-year-old trolling senile
cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:

I used to have a smart phone, in fact I went through at least two or
three but I eventually decided they were so useless as phones that I've
now moved back to a 'feature phone'. For the things that I use a phone
for (making phone calls mostly) it's far better than a smartphone.

I'm finding it's useful having *2* smartphones.

My real personal out and about phone which makes calls.

And a second to sat nav/media play/control smart thermostat with

Ah, yes, I do still have a (pseudo?) smartphone that I use as a
satnav, there's no SIM in it.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/2021 09:51, Chris Green wrote:
We have economy 7 with a meter that has supposedly reached end of
life. We've had a few tries by our suppliers to change the meter but
they've been pretty half-hearted. I suspect that as we're electricity
only and mobile coverage is pretty bad here they're not desperate to
do it anyway.

That's what they told us. Out of calibration.

I called them. I don't want a smart meter I said, they don't work round
here.

Pause.

Confirmation of my belief - they didn't work for some of my neighbours.

Them: "OK, we don't need to do anything"

Me: "But you said it's out of calibration"

Them: "Doesn't matter".

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/2021 13:55, Andy Burns wrote:
The octopus agile tariff increasingly frequently hits the punitive
35p/unit at peak times, and their average 24h price often exceeds my
all-day rate ... I expect the advantage will continue to be eroded.

I know someone who has that combined with a Tesla powerwall.

He's complained he can't sell the power back at peak rates

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris Green
writes
Jethro_uk wrote:

I used to have a smart phone, in fact I went through at least two or
three but I eventually decided they were so useless as phones that I've
now moved back to a 'feature phone'. For the things that I use a phone
for (making phone calls mostly) it's far better than a smartphone.

I'm finding it's useful having *2* smartphones.

My real personal out and about phone which makes calls.

And a second to sat nav/media play/control smart thermostat with

Ah, yes, I do still have a (pseudo?) smartphone that I use as a
satnav, there's no SIM in it.

Interesting.

For the uninitiated.. does that mean you can load the map data via wi-fi
without bothering your mobile provider?

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2021 09:31, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Chris Green
writes
Jethro_uk wrote:

I used to have a smart phone, in fact I went through at least two or
three but I eventually decided they were so useless as phones that
I've
now moved back to a 'feature phone'.Â* For the things that I use a
phone
for (making phone calls mostly) it's far better than a smartphone.

I'm finding it's useful having *2* smartphones.

My real personal out and about phone which makes calls.

And a second to sat nav/media play/control smart thermostat with

Ah, yes, I do still have a (pseudo?) smartphone that I use as a
satnav, there's no SIM in it.

Interesting.

For the uninitiated.. does that mean you can load the map data via wi-fi
without bothering your mobile provider?

No reason you cant. I do that every update

all women"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 5 Feb 2021 14:43:46 +1100, Fred, better known as cantankerous

FLUSH the trolling senile cretin's latest troll**** unread

--
The Natural Philosopher about senile Rodent:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
Jethro_uk wrote:

I used to have a smart phone, in fact I went through at least two or
three but I eventually decided they were so useless as phones

I've
now moved back to a 'feature phone'.* For the things that I use a
phone
for (making phone calls mostly) it's far better than a smartphone.

I'm finding it's useful having *2* smartphones.

My real personal out and about phone which makes calls.

And a second to sat nav/media play/control smart thermostat with

Ah, yes, I do still have a (pseudo?) smartphone that I use as a
satnav, there's no SIM in it.

Interesting.
For the uninitiated.. does that mean you can load the map data via
wi-fi without bothering your mobile provider?

No reason you cant. I do that every update

OK. Thanks. I have an otherwise unused Moto e5.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2021 09:53, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 05/02/2021 09:31, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Chris Green
Â* writes
Jethro_uk wrote:

I used to have a smart phone, in fact I went through at least two or
three but I eventually decided they were so useless as phones
I've
now moved back to a 'feature phone'.Â* For the things that I use a
phone
for (making phone calls mostly) it's far better than a smartphone.

I'm finding it's useful having *2* smartphones.

My real personal out and about phone which makes calls.

And a second to sat nav/media play/control smart thermostat with

Ah, yes, I do still have a (pseudo?) smartphone that I use as a
satnav, there's no SIM in it.
Â*Interesting.
Â*For the uninitiated.. does that mean you can load the map data via
wi-fiÂ* without bothering your mobile provider?

No reason you cant. I do that every update

OK. Thanks. I have an otherwise unused Moto e5.

well check that it can download a free app from the playstore simless.
Or pop a payg sim in it

--
€œPeople believe certain stories because everyone important tells them,
and people tell those stories because everyone important believes them.

Paul Krugman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Chris Green
writes
Jethro_uk wrote:

I used to have a smart phone, in fact I went through at least two or
three but I eventually decided they were so useless as phones that I've
now moved back to a 'feature phone'. For the things that I use a phone
for (making phone calls mostly) it's far better than a smartphone.

I'm finding it's useful having *2* smartphones.

My real personal out and about phone which makes calls.

And a second to sat nav/media play/control smart thermostat with

Ah, yes, I do still have a (pseudo?) smartphone that I use as a
satnav, there's no SIM in it.

Interesting.

For the uninitiated.. does that mean you can load the map data via wi-fi
without bothering your mobile provider?

Yes, I use Here Wego and all it needs is downloaded maps and GPS,
there's no need for web connectivity while using it as a satnav.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:

[...]

I have a Vodafone sim. It means breaking it down to the smaller size and
then carefully reassembling:-(

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris Green
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Chris Green
writes
Jethro_uk wrote:

I used to have a smart phone, in fact I went through at least two or
three but I eventually decided they were so useless as phones that I've
now moved back to a 'feature phone'. For the things that I use a phone
for (making phone calls mostly) it's far better than a smartphone.

I'm finding it's useful having *2* smartphones.

My real personal out and about phone which makes calls.

And a second to sat nav/media play/control smart thermostat with

Ah, yes, I do still have a (pseudo?) smartphone that I use as a
satnav, there's no SIM in it.

Interesting.

For the uninitiated.. does that mean you can load the map data via wi-fi
without bothering your mobile provider?

Yes, I use Here Wego and all it needs is downloaded maps and GPS,
there's no need for web connectivity while using it as a satnav.

OK.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jethro_uk
writes
On Fri, 05 Feb 2021 09:31:42 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

In message , Chris Green
writes
Jethro_uk wrote:

I used to have a smart phone, in fact I went through at least two or
three but I eventually decided they were so useless as phones that
I've now moved back to a 'feature phone'. For the things that I use
a phone for (making phone calls mostly) it's far better than a
smartphone.

I'm finding it's useful having *2* smartphones.

My real personal out and about phone which makes calls.

And a second to sat nav/media play/control smart thermostat with

Ah, yes, I do still have a (pseudo?) smartphone that I use as a satnav,
there's no SIM in it.

Interesting.

For the uninitiated.. does that mean you can load the map data via wi-fi
without bothering your mobile provider?

Yup.

Only SIMless, you can't get 3/4G when out and about (or traffic updates).

Of course you could tether it to your "real" phone, if you want.

er. Unlikely with an Alkatel one touch:-)

I seem to be a recipient of my gardener's *last year* phones but the
Alkatel does all I need for farming and working from home.

I suspect this will be a thing moving forward - thus depressing the need
for the new shiny. My 5-year old Wileyfox Swift is still comparable to
anything new today.

At one point I had about 5 smartphones from Windows CE era onwards.
They'd all be serviceable now, if they took a ****ing standard charger.

SWMBO has been due a new phone for 18 months too (Tesco). The only reason
she hasn't take the offer is their new phones aren't as large screened as
her current Pixi 4 6". And her primary need is big screen.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:

I used to have a smart phone, in fact I went through at least
two or
three but I eventually decided they were so useless as phones
I've
now moved back to a 'feature phone'.Â* For the things that I use a
phone
for (making phone calls mostly) it's far better than a smartphone.

I'm finding it's useful having *2* smartphones.

My real personal out and about phone which makes calls.

And a second to sat nav/media play/control smart thermostat with

Ah, yes, I do still have a (pseudo?) smartphone that I use as a
satnav, there's no SIM in it.
Â*Interesting.
Â*For the uninitiated.. does that mean you can load the map data via
wi-fiÂ* without bothering your mobile provider?

No reason you cant. I do that every update
Â*OK. Thanks. I have an otherwise unused Moto e5.

well check that it can download a free app from the playstore simless.
Or pop a payg sim in it

I have a Vodafone sim. It means breaking it down to the smaller size and
then carefully reassembling:-(

You can download apps with wifi without a sim.

And I can vouch that an E5 runs TomTom OK (if slowly).

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:

[...]

The real issue with simless is live traffic updates.

--
"Socialist governments traditionally do make a financial mess. They
always run out of other people's money. It's quite a characteristic of them"

Margaret Thatcher
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 4 Feb 2021 16:24:20 +0000, alan_m
wrote:

[...]

I've renewed with Avro (after checking other suppliers) for 4 years
running now. I'm happy with their service, competative fixed for one
year prices, no pressure for smart meters, I read the meters every
month and enter them via their website, sometimes a meter man turns up
(I guess just to check). Just don't let them do an auto renewal at the
end of the year, their standard tariff is a lot more expensive.
Phone/email them and they'll quote you their cheapest tariff (they add
new tariffs very frequently).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2021 11:23, Robin wrote:

snip

You can download apps with wifi without a sim.

And I can vouch that an E5 runs TomTom OK (if slowly).

The real issue with simless is live traffic updates.

True but IIRC one of the benefits of a SatNav for Tim would be keeping
him out of the London CC zone (if he ever ventures again into this
plague place) which doesn't require them. He might even prefer not to
be tempted to take a detour that costs £15?

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:

[...]

I have a Smartphone on my coffee table for use as a message client via wiffy
(and I also use it when staying in hotels for the same)

But I never take it out and about with me - it too darn big

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , Chris Green
writes
Jethro_uk wrote:

I used to have a smart phone, in fact I went through at least two or
three but I eventually decided they were so useless as phones that
I've
now moved back to a 'feature phone'. For the things that I use a
phone
for (making phone calls mostly) it's far better than a smartphone.

I'm finding it's useful having *2* smartphones.

My real personal out and about phone which makes calls.

And a second to sat nav/media play/control smart thermostat with

Ah, yes, I do still have a (pseudo?) smartphone that I use as a
satnav, there's no SIM in it.

Interesting.

For the uninitiated.. does that mean you can load the map data via wi-fi
without bothering your mobile provider?

I do that on my tablet - which doesn't even have the capacity for a SIM