Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The saga of my new smart meters

In message , Robin
writes
On 05/02/2021 10:29, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 05/02/2021 09:53, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 05/02/2021 09:31, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Chris Green
* writes
Jethro_uk wrote:

I used to have a smart phone, in fact I went through at least
two or
three but I eventually decided they were so useless as phones
I've
now moved back to a 'feature phone'.* For the things that I use a
phone
for (making phone calls mostly) it's far better than a smartphone.

I'm finding it's useful having *2* smartphones.

My real personal out and about phone which makes calls.

And a second to sat nav/media play/control smart thermostat with

Ah, yes, I do still have a (pseudo?) smartphone that I use as a
satnav, there's no SIM in it.
*Interesting.
*For the uninitiated.. does that mean you can load the map data
via wi-fi* without bothering your mobile provider?

No reason you cant. I do that every update
*OK. Thanks. I have an otherwise unused Moto e5.

well check that it can download a free app from the playstore simless.
Or pop a payg sim in it

I have a Vodafone sim. It means breaking it down to the smaller size
and then carefully reassembling:-(

You can download apps with wifi without a sim.

And I can vouch that an E5 runs TomTom OK (if slowly).

Good to know.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Robin
writes
On 05/02/2021 11:23, Robin wrote:

snip

You can download apps with wifi without a sim.

And I can vouch that an E5 runs TomTom OK (if slowly).

The real issue with simless is live traffic updates.

True but IIRC one of the benefits of a SatNav for Tim would be keeping
him out of the London CC zone (if he ever ventures again into this
plague place) which doesn't require them. He might even prefer not to
be tempted to take a detour that costs £15?

Huh! The current plan (Euro5 diesel) is to avoid the place altogether or
buy a modest cost electric shopper. 25 miles to Marble Arch:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

Chris Green wrote:

I do still have a (pseudo?) smartphone that I use as a
satnav, there's no SIM in it.

For the uninitiated.. does that mean you can load the map data via wi-fi
without bothering your mobile provider?

Yes, you can tell Google maps to load an large area of map data over
wifi and it'll keep it updated for you every couple of months, obviously
you don't get live traffic info without a SIM.

I presume Waze and Here maps can do similar?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:

Chris Green wrote:

I do still have a (pseudo?) smartphone that I use as a
satnav, there's no SIM in it.

For the uninitiated.. does that mean you can load the map data via wi-fi
without bothering your mobile provider?

Yes, you can tell Google maps to load an large area of map data over
wifi and it'll keep it updated for you every couple of months, obviously
you don't get live traffic info without a SIM.

I presume Waze and Here maps can do similar?

With Here you can load the whole of Europe if you want (and have
space), I have UK an W. Europe in mine, job done, it just works. It's
a good idea to update it occasionally of course.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , Chris Green
writes
Jethro_uk wrote:

I used to have a smart phone, in fact I went through at least two or
three but I eventually decided they were so useless as phones that
I've
now moved back to a 'feature phone'. For the things that I use a
phone
for (making phone calls mostly) it's far better than a smartphone.

I'm finding it's useful having *2* smartphones.

My real personal out and about phone which makes calls.

And a second to sat nav/media play/control smart thermostat with

Ah, yes, I do still have a (pseudo?) smartphone that I use as a
satnav, there's no SIM in it.

Interesting.

For the uninitiated.. does that mean you can load the map data via wi-fi
without bothering your mobile provider?

Yep, the best phones allow you to specify that the
data used by each app can only come over wifi.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , Robin
writes
On 05/02/2021 11:23, Robin wrote:

snip

You can download apps with wifi without a sim.

And I can vouch that an E5 runs TomTom OK (if slowly).

The real issue with simless is live traffic updates.

True but IIRC one of the benefits of a SatNav for Tim would be keeping him
out of the London CC zone (if he ever ventures again into this plague
place) which doesn't require them. He might even prefer not to be tempted
to take a detour that costs £15?

Huh! The current plan (Euro5 diesel) is to avoid the place altogether or
buy a modest cost electric shopper.

is there such a thing?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2021 08:24, tim... wrote:

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , Robin
writes
On 05/02/2021 11:23, Robin wrote:

snip

You can download apps with wifi without a sim.

And I can vouch that an E5 runs TomTom OK (if slowly).

The real issue with simless is live traffic updates.

True but IIRC one of the benefits of a SatNav for Tim would be
keeping him out of the London CC zone (if he ever ventures again into
this plague place) which doesn't require them.Â* He might even prefer
not to be tempted to take a detour that costs £15?

Huh! The current plan (Euro5 diesel) is to avoid the place altogether
or buy a modest cost electric shopper.

is there such a thing?

getting closer

Problem is 'cheap as chips' usually means **** all range

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2021 08:24, tim... wrote:

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , Robin
writes
On 05/02/2021 11:23, Robin wrote:

snip

You can download apps with wifi without a sim.

And I can vouch that an E5 runs TomTom OK (if slowly).

The real issue with simless is live traffic updates.

True but IIRC one of the benefits of a SatNav for Tim would be
keeping him out of the London CC zone (if he ever ventures again
into this plague place) which doesn't require them.Â* He might even
prefer not to be tempted to take a detour that costs £15?

Huh! The current plan (Euro5 diesel) is to avoid the place altogether
or buy a modest cost electric shopper.

is there such a thing?

getting closer

Problem is 'cheap as chips' usually means **** all range

out of boredom I did go looking

£17.5k will net you a skoda citigo e iV which would fulfil most peoples
needs as long as they didnt want to do more than 100 miles in a day...

https://www.whatcar.com/skoda/citigo.../buying-owning

Whether £17.5k is cheap as chips is a matter of perception....

its shoes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tim...
writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
.. .
In message , Robin
writes
On 05/02/2021 11:23, Robin wrote:

snip

You can download apps with wifi without a sim.

And I can vouch that an E5 runs TomTom OK (if slowly).

The real issue with simless is live traffic updates.

True but IIRC one of the benefits of a SatNav for Tim would be
keeping him out of the London CC zone (if he ever ventures again into
this plague place) which doesn't require them. He might even prefer
not to be tempted to take a detour that costs £15?

Huh! The current plan (Euro5 diesel) is to avoid the place altogether
or buy a modest cost electric shopper.

is there such a thing?

Modest cost seems a illusive:-(

The grant money seems to have been added to the manufacturers price
structure.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2021 09:28, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , tim...
writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , Robin
writes
On 05/02/2021 11:23, Robin wrote:

snip

You can download apps with wifi without a sim.

And I can vouch that an E5 runs TomTom OK (if slowly).

The real issue with simless is live traffic updates.

True but IIRC one of the benefits of a SatNav for Tim would be
keeping him out of the London CC zone (if he ever ventures again
into this plague place) which doesn't require them.Â* He might even
prefer not to be tempted to take a detour that costs £15?

Huh! The current plan (Euro5 diesel) is to avoid the place altogether
orÂ* buy a modest cost electric shopper.

is there such a thing?

Modest cost seems a illusive:-(

Elusive or illusory, but never illusive

The grant money seems to have been added to the manufacturers price
structure.

you could build the equivalent of an electric 2CV for peanuts but it
would never get through regulations.

The whole point of regulations is to make extra work for Euroworkers
and extra profit for Eurobusiness.

The whole carbon neutral thing is nothing to do with the planet and
everything to do with enforced obsolescence.

--
€œIt is not the truth of Marxism that explains the willingness of
intellectuals to believe it, but the power that it confers on

Posted to uk.d-i-y

you could build the equivalent of an electric 2CV for peanuts but it
would never get through regulations.

The whole point of regulations is to make extra work for Euroworkers
and extra profit for Eurobusiness.

"We (the UN/IPCC) redistribute de facto the world's wealth by climate
policy..."

"One has to free oneself from the illusion that international climate
policy is environmental policy. This has almost nothing to do with
environmental policy any more..."

(written by an IPCC panel member, around 2010)

--
Spike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2021-02-05, Fred wrote:
I used to have a smart phone, in fact I went through at least
two or three but I eventually decided they were so useless
as phones that I've now moved back to a 'feature phone'.

More fool you.

For the things that I use a phone for (making phone
calls mostly) it's far better than a smartphone.

Bull****.

Ah bless. More reasoned argument.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 06/02/2021 09:28, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , tim...
writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
.. .
In message ,
Robin writes
On 05/02/2021 11:23, Robin wrote:

snip

You can download apps with wifi without a sim.

And I can vouch that an E5 runs TomTom OK (if slowly).

The real issue with simless is live traffic updates.

True but IIRC one of the benefits of a SatNav for Tim would be
keeping him out of the London CC zone (if he ever ventures again
into this plague place) which doesn't require them.* He might even
prefer not to be tempted to take a detour that costs £15?

Huh! The current plan (Euro5 diesel) is to avoid the place
altogether or* buy a modest cost electric shopper.

is there such a thing?

Modest cost seems a illusive:-(

Elusive or illusory, but never illusive

Why thank you!

I meant to say *hard to find* but my spell checker couldn't agree.

The grant money seems to have been added to the manufacturers price
structure.

you could build the equivalent of an electric 2CV for peanuts but it
would never get through regulations.

The whole point of regulations is to make extra work for Euroworkers
and extra profit for Eurobusiness.

The whole carbon neutral thing is nothing to do with the planet and
everything to do with enforced obsolescence.

The basic Citigoe is within reach but they seem to have cut out some
fairly essential electronics.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2021-02-05, Fred wrote:
I used to have a smart phone, in fact I went through at least
two or three but I eventually decided they were so useless
as phones that I've now moved back to a 'feature phone'.

More fool you.

For the things that I use a phone for (making phone
calls mostly) it's far better than a smartphone.

Bull****.

Ah bless. More reasoned argument.

Says he carefully deleting the reasoned argument.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

I'm with Avro and have just renewed to another fixed price contract but
note that they are no longer being offered on sites such as the cheap
energy club @ money saving expert. Also note their customer service
response time is not too good at present although pre covid lockdowns it
was good.

I have done the same. On MSE, there is actually a button for
"Show only current supplier", and for Avro they have nothing at
all.

I tried to get a new Avro quote, but the site kept sending me
straight to my Dashboard. Turned out I had to select "Renew"
instead, in order to see their offer.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK