Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Global ****ing with rain ....

On 16/12/2020 10:25, alan_m wrote:
On 16/12/2020 08:42, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Well it has been ****ing down continuously in the near of Glasgow for
a couple of months now....is this a result of global warming like in
the film Blade runner ? ...

Nice and sunny with blue sky here in Essex!

That is the problem with all you woke southerners who enjoy the
Continental climate you want us all to cycle to work ..... even us where
is ****es down 24 hours a a day
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Dec 2020 18:20:18 +0000, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

On 16/12/2020 10:25, alan_m wrote:
On 16/12/2020 08:42, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Well it has been ****ing down continuously in the near of Glasgow for
a couple of months now....is this a result of global warming like in
the film Blade runner ? ...

Nice and sunny with blue sky here in Essex!

That is the problem with all you woke southerners who enjoy the
Continental climate you want us all to cycle to work ..... even us where
is ****es down 24 hours a a day

Capes are cheap enough?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 16/12/2020 10:25, alan_m wrote:
On 16/12/2020 08:42, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Well it has been ****ing down continuously in the near of Glasgow for
a couple of months now....is this a result of global warming like in
the film Blade runner ? ...

Nice and sunny with blue sky here in Essex!

That is the problem with all you woke southerners who enjoy the
Continental climate you want us all to cycle to work ..... even us where
is ****es down 24 hours a a day

Capes are cheap enough?

Cheers, T i m

you know that is no substitute for the car
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Dec 2020 18:50:26 +0000, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

snip

That is the problem with all you woke southerners who enjoy the
Continental climate you want us all to cycle to work ..... even us where
is ****es down 24 hours a a day

Capes are cheap enough?

you know that is no substitute for the car

For whom? Are you saying there isn't anyone in Scotland (even) who
doesn't have a car and who does everything by bike?

Even when we were doing all our own shopping, even the 'weekly shop'
would be done on foot and irrespective of the weather, because it's
the easiest way.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 16/12/2020 10:25, alan_m wrote:
On 16/12/2020 08:42, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Well it has been ****ing down continuously in the near of Glasgow for
a couple of months now....is this a result of global warming like in
the film Blade runner ? ...

Nice and sunny with blue sky here in Essex!

That is the problem with all you woke southerners who enjoy the
Continental climate you want us all to cycle to work ..... even us where
is ****es down 24 hours a a day

Capes are cheap enough?

Cheers, T i m

you know that is no substitute for the car

We'll make an avid cyclist of you yet.

Maybe the next step is spandex ?
Spandex and a cape ?

https://cyclingmagazine.ca/wp-conten...-cycling-6.jpg

Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
you know that is no substitute for the car

For whom? Are you saying there isn't anyone in Scotland (even) who
doesn't have a car and who does everything by bike?

Even Scotland has its share of nutcases.

--
*We waste time, so you don't have to *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 00:54:45 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
you know that is no substitute for the car

For whom? Are you saying there isn't anyone in Scotland (even) who
doesn't have a car and who does everything by bike?

Even Scotland has its share of nutcases.

The irony of course is that 'we' often take the **** out of the
Americans for being lazy / car bound because they wouldn't think of
walking / cycling *anywhere*, let alone to the shops.

Yet if you live in big city they are often the best way to do it, as
car ownership isn't practical and if you do have one it often takes
longer to drive to the shops and find a parking space than to walk
there (and park when you get back).

If there were more 'nutcases', we would have more space on the roads
and fewer people dying from air pollution.

If you 'choose' to live miles away from anywhere because you prefer
it, you are likely to produce more pollution when doing those things
others can do on foot because you have to use the car for everything.

When we stayed in Castle Douglas it was a 50 mile round trip into
Dumfries to get a new headlamp for the Rover. Here it would be a ~1
mile walk / cycle.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 00:54:45 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
you know that is no substitute for the car

For whom? Are you saying there isn't anyone in Scotland (even) who
doesn't have a car and who does everything by bike?

Even Scotland has its share of nutcases.

The irony of course is that 'we' often take the **** out of the
Americans for being lazy / car bound because they wouldn't think of
walking / cycling *anywhere*, let alone to the shops.

I don't know amyone who cycles to the shops. Bikes are generally
impractical for carrying things. Unless a custom made delivery bike - and
I doubt few actually choose to ride one of those.

Yet if you live in big city they are often the best way to do it, as
car ownership isn't practical and if you do have one it often takes
longer to drive to the shops and find a parking space than to walk
there (and park when you get back).

Really? I suppose if you choose the busiest day to go shopping in the rush
hour that might be so. But then it's also going to be the worst time to
shop using a bike.

If there were more 'nutcases', we would have more space on the roads
and fewer people dying from air pollution.

More space on the roads for cyclists? They have already been given half
the available road space round here, which is near empty for much of the
day. Slowing down drastically things like buses and emergency services.

If you 'choose' to live miles away from anywhere because you prefer
it, you are likely to produce more pollution when doing those things
others can do on foot because you have to use the car for everything.

Are you saying everyone should move to the centre of large cities, then?

When we stayed in Castle Douglas it was a 50 mile round trip into
Dumfries to get a new headlamp for the Rover. Here it would be a ~1
mile walk / cycle.

So you have a car. But cycle to get bits for it. How do you get bits for
your bike - use the car? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

--
*Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
T i m wrote:
On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 00:54:45 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
you know that is no substitute for the car

For whom? Are you saying there isn't anyone in Scotland (even) who
doesn't have a car and who does everything by bike?

Even Scotland has its share of nutcases.

The irony of course is that 'we' often take the **** out of the
Americans for being lazy / car bound because they wouldn't think of
walking / cycling *anywhere*, let alone to the shops.

I don't know amyone who cycles to the shops.

Up to 20 years ago, I used to cycle to the shops. I was actually returning
with a loaf of bread when an idiot motorist tried to overtake me when
someone was coming the other way. I had my right arm - shoulder to finger
tips - in plaster for about 3 months. I tried cycling again, but have lost
my nerve,

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul wrote:
wrote:

On 16/12/2020 10:25, alan_m wrote:
On 16/12/2020 08:42, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Well it has been ****ing down continuously in the near of Glasgow for
a couple of months now....is this a result of global warming like in
the film Blade runner ? ...

Nice and sunny with blue sky here in Essex!

That is the problem with all you woke southerners who enjoy the
Continental climate you want us all to cycle to work ..... even us
where
is ****es down 24 hours a a day

Capes are cheap enough?

Cheers, T i m

you know that is no substitute for the car

We'll make an avid cyclist of you yet.

Maybe the next step is spandex ?
Spandex and a cape ?

https://cyclingmagazine.ca/wp-conten...-cycling-6.jpg

Paul

This is what someone else is driving through right
now, and they aren't complaining. I like their glove
protectors. But poor *******, look at his shoes.

https://cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/asse...-super-169.jpg

Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/12/2020 18:20, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 16/12/2020 10:25, alan_m wrote:
On 16/12/2020 08:42, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Well it has been ****ing down continuously in the near of Glasgow for
a couple of months now....is this a result of global warming like in
the film Blade runner ? ...

Nice and sunny with blue sky here in Essex!

That is the problem with all you woke southerners who enjoy the
Continental climate you want us all to cycle to work ..... even us where
is ****es down 24 hours a a day

It's been pretty wet in Sussex for the last couple of months.
The ground is saturated and the flood plains next to the
A29 are getting flooded.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/12/2020 20:36, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 16 Dec 2020 18:50:26 +0000, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

snip

That is the problem with all you woke southerners who enjoy the
Continental climate you want us all to cycle to work ..... even us where
is ****es down 24 hours a a day

Capes are cheap enough?

you know that is no substitute for the car

For whom? Are you saying there isn't anyone in Scotland (even) who
doesn't have a car and who does everything by bike?

Even when we were doing all our own shopping, even the 'weekly shop'
would be done on foot and irrespective of the weather, because it's
the easiest way.

Cheers, T i m

Yes but in Glasgow or Newcastle they would do it wearing plimsoles
and a T shirt, even mid-winter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
you know that is no substitute for the car

For whom? Are you saying there isn't anyone in Scotland (even) who
doesn't have a car and who does everything by bike?

Even Scotland has its share of nutcases.

Scotland shared you with London though :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 10:16:16 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

snip

The irony of course is that 'we' often take the **** out of the
Americans for being lazy / car bound because they wouldn't think of
walking / cycling *anywhere*, let alone to the shops.

I don't know amyone who cycles to the shops.

Then may I suggest you get out (of your car) more (or maybe you don't
live or know anyone who lives within a cycle ride of the shops)? ;-)

Bikes are generally
impractical for carrying things.

Erm, if not set up for 'carrying things' then yes. For me a bike is
for carrying me and things so all of mine are. Most also can take the
trailer so can move even more.

Unless a custom made delivery bike - and
I doubt few actually choose to ride one of those.

I do. ;-)

Yet if you live in big city they are often the best way to do it, as
car ownership isn't practical and if you do have one it often takes
longer to drive to the shops and find a parking space than to walk
there (and park when you get back).

Really?

Yup.

I suppose if you choose the busiest day to go shopping in the rush
hour that might be so.

Not round here even. Go to any of the popular shops with car parks
(like Aldi) and you often have to circulate till you can find a space.

But then it's also going to be the worst time to
shop using a bike.

Not really, because it generally easier to find somewhere to park a
bike as car can't park in the bike parking (if they could some would
of course).

If there were more 'nutcases', we would have more space on the roads
and fewer people dying from air pollution.

More space on the roads for cyclists?

More space for everyone, that's the whole point of public transit and
walking / cycling / scooting where possible.

They have already been given half
the available road space round here, which is near empty for much of the
day.

Yup, this is a problem when trying to 'reverse engineer' a road system
that has become dedicated to just car users.

Slowing down drastically things like buses and emergency services.

Yup.

If you 'choose' to live miles away from anywhere because you prefer
it, you are likely to produce more pollution when doing those things
others can do on foot because you have to use the car for everything.

Are you saying everyone should move to the centre of large cities, then?

No, what I'm saying is a that it's the minority who don't live in the
cities who produce a greater percentage of the pollution, assuming
they aren't self sufficient.

When we stayed in Castle Douglas it was a 50 mile round trip into
Dumfries to get a new headlamp for the Rover. Here it would be a ~1
mile walk / cycle.

So you have a car. But cycle to get bits for it.

Or walk, get public transport, yes.

How do you get bits for
your bike - use the car? ;-)

You have more than one bike, walk or use public transport. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 10:16:16 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

snip

The irony of course is that 'we' often take the **** out of the
Americans for being lazy / car bound because they wouldn't think of
walking / cycling *anywhere*, let alone to the shops.

I don't know amyone who cycles to the shops.

Then may I suggest you get out (of your car) more (or maybe you don't
live or know anyone who lives within a cycle ride of the shops)? ;-)

Most of my friends are like me - too old to start cycling again. And just
why would you want to cycle to the shops? What is wrong with walking
there? If your argument is it's quicker (or less effort) then driving
there is even better.

Bikes are generally
impractical for carrying things.

Erm, if not set up for 'carrying things' then yes. For me a bike is
for carrying me and things so all of mine are. Most also can take the
trailer so can move even more.

Do you keep those in the garage - car outside? ;-)

Just how practical do you think a bike and trailer would be for the
average London flat dweller? Leave it outside and the wheels would be gone
in seconds. Never quite understood how dishonest bike users are. ;-)

Unless a custom made delivery bike - and
I doubt few actually choose to ride one of those.

I do. ;-)

Yet if you live in big city they are often the best way to do it, as
car ownership isn't practical and if you do have one it often takes
longer to drive to the shops and find a parking space than to walk
there (and park when you get back).

Really?

Yup.

I suppose if you choose the busiest day to go shopping in the rush
hour that might be so.

Not round here even. Go to any of the popular shops with car parks
(like Aldi) and you often have to circulate till you can find a space.

Then choose a better time to go.

But then it's also going to be the worst time to
shop using a bike.

Not really, because it generally easier to find somewhere to park a
bike as car can't park in the bike parking (if they could some would
of course).

There is plenty parking for bikes with trailers?

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 17 December 2020 at 13:58:44 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
T i m wrote:
On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 10:16:16 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

snip

[...]

Selby has a system where you go shopping and leave your bike for a few minutes. Go inside, come out and discover someone has stolen your bike. Most end up in the river or canal.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John J wrote:

Selby has a system where you go shopping and leave your bike for a few minutes. Go inside, come out and discover someone has stolen your bike. Most end up in the river or canal.

Never quite understood why the 'save the planet' cycling lobby is so
dishonest. Leave a bike anywhere without it being chained up and it's
gone. Don't chain it fully, just the wheels. And anything stolen must have
a market?

Cars have much more expensive wheels and tyres - but it's not as common
to see one with the wheels missing.

Perhaps it's their idea of re-cycling.

--
*It was recently discovered that research causes cancer in rats*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 13:50:47 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 10:16:16 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

snip

The irony of course is that 'we' often take the **** out of the
Americans for being lazy / car bound because they wouldn't think of
walking / cycling *anywhere*, let alone to the shops.

I don't know amyone who cycles to the shops.

Then may I suggest you get out (of your car) more (or maybe you don't
live or know anyone who lives within a cycle ride of the shops)? ;-)

Most of my friends are like me - too old to start cycling again.

What age would that be then, given the ages of some of the people
still cycling and even doing extended trips?

And I wonder if it's the fact that they are still cycling, still out
in the air and sunshine, still exercising and switched onto their
surroundings that keeps them alive?

I'm 64 and have no issue jumping on a bike and going 10 miles (I often
walk similar with the dog).

And just
why would you want to cycle to the shops?

Distance and or time.

What is wrong with walking
there?

Nothing, if time isn't an issue and you can carry what you need.

If your argument is it's quicker (or less effort) then driving
there is even better.

As long as you can park when you get there, park free when you get
there and park anywhere near your house when you get home.

Bikes are generally
impractical for carrying things.

Erm, if not set up for 'carrying things' then yes. For me a bike is
for carrying me and things so all of mine are. Most also can take the
trailer so can move even more.

Do you keep those in the garage - car outside? ;-)

Shed, car outside. ;-)

Just how practical do you think a bike and trailer would be for the
average London flat dweller?

Perfectly.

Leave it outside and the wheels would be gone
in seconds.

So why most don't.

Never quite understood how dishonest bike users are. ;-)

Not sure 'bike users' are the ones doing the stealing any more than
it's car drivers that steal cars, house dwellers burgling houses or
phone users stealing phones?

snip

Not round here even. Go to any of the popular shops with car parks
(like Aldi) and you often have to circulate till you can find a space.

Then choose a better time to go.

Personally I prefer the convenience of going when I want and not
having to worry about how long I'll spend in traffic or if I can park
when I get there. Plus, I can generally go as the crow flies and
though the town centre, not have to go round all the ring roads and
one way systems (even walking the bike up the wrong way etc).

Neighbour doesn't have a car and uses his electric bike for work and
'bits' shopping. He also does his main shop on his feet. The two
direct-next door neighbours both have cars but they spend 99,9% of
their time parked outside and they pick up shopping as they walk from
the station.

But then it's also going to be the worst time to
shop using a bike.

Not really, because it generally easier to find somewhere to park a
bike as car can't park in the bike parking (if they could some would
of course).

There is plenty parking for bikes with trailers?

Yup. A bike with trailer takes up about the same space as two bikes
and about 1/4 of a car. [1]

snip

Cheers, T i m

[1] I have a B.O.B. 'Yak' single wheel trailer that will generally go
though any gap that I'd want to cycle though.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/trailers...yak-sak-black/

AS I said, we mainly do the shopping on foot so use the Yak behind
either solo cycle or tandem when camping / touring.

p.s. I had a go on an adult scooter the other day and *discovered*
that a length (1/4 mile) of paved bridleway I'd walked 100's of times
and assumed was pretty level had sufficient gradient for me to roll
one end to the other with no additional input. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 06:12:37 -0800 (PST), John J
wrote:

snip

Selby has a system where you go shopping and leave your bike for a few minutes. Go inside, come out and discover someone has stolen your bike.

There are bikes and bikes. I'm not sure I'd leave anything worth £500
or more in public without proper security or properly attended.

Most end up in the river or canal.

A woman posted on local Facebook group that her folding bike had been
stolen from the railway station bike park. A week later she found it
chained up where she left it ... at the other end of the bike shed
than where she 'normally' parks it. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 06:12:37 -0800 (PST), John J
wrote:

snip

Selby has a system where you go shopping and leave your bike for a few minutes. Go inside, come out and discover someone has stolen your bike.

There are bikes and bikes. I'm not sure I'd leave anything worth £500
or more in public without proper security or properly attended.

Most end up in the river or canal.

A woman posted on local Facebook group that her folding bike had been
stolen from the railway station bike park. A week later she found it
chained up where she left it ... at the other end of the bike shed
than where she 'normally' parks it. ;-)

My daughter's bike (a folding one) was stolen from the reception area of
her London Office. It appeared on ebay a few days later. The City of London
Police weren't interested.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 15:44:42 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
John J wrote:

Selby has a system where you go shopping and leave your bike for a few minutes. Go inside, come out and discover someone has stolen your bike. Most end up in the river or canal.

Never quite understood why the 'save the planet' cycling lobby is so
dishonest.

Because you are trying to put a emotional bias on something
incorrectly.

1) Very few ride cycles to 'save the planet', they ride them because
they are cheap, convenient and better for you.

2) Most cyclists aren't dishonest.

Leave a bike anywhere without it being chained up and it's
gone.

Not always and not from everywhere. If that was the case there
wouldn't be any bikes in bike parks and everone would be riding brand
new bikes.

Don't chain it fully, just the wheels.

Yup, depending on the spec / value, of the bike, the location and
location you leave it, the time / regularity you leave it and how you
secure it all play the exact same part as being burgled or having your
car stolen.

And anything stolen must have
a market?

Yup, like most things that are stolen?

Cars have much more expensive wheels and tyres - but it's not as common
to see one with the wheels missing.

But it's fairly common to find it gone completely, it broken into and
something stolen from it or it's cat cut off (or damaged whilst
parked).

Perhaps it's their idea of re-cycling.

It's an opportunist thieves idea of easy money (often for drugs).

I think there are twice as many cycles stolen in the UK as cars but
that's not bad given how easy it often is to steal and dispose of a
bike?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2020 16:46, T i m wrote:
On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 06:12:37 -0800 (PST), John J
wrote:

snip

Selby has a system where you go shopping and leave your bike for a few minutes. Go inside, come out and discover someone has stolen your bike.

There are bikes and bikes. I'm not sure I'd leave anything worth £500
or more in public without proper security or properly attended.

Most end up in the river or canal.

A woman posted on local Facebook group that her folding bike had been
stolen from the railway station bike park. A week later she found it
chained up where she left it ... at the other end of the bike shed
than where she 'normally' parks it. ;-)

The whole point of folding bikes (like ?Brompton) is that
you take it with you on the train, surely ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2020 09:58, T i m wrote:
On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 00:54:45 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
[...]

`used to camp there down by the loch...cool place.....Kudos
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
T i m wrote:
On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 10:16:16 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

snip

The irony of course is that 'we' often take the **** out of the
Americans for being lazy / car bound because they wouldn't think of
walking / cycling *anywhere*, let alone to the shops.
I don't know amyone who cycles to the shops.

Then may I suggest you get out (of your car) more (or maybe you don't
live or know anyone who lives within a cycle ride of the shops)? ;-)

Most of my friends are like me - too old to start cycling again. And just
why would you want to cycle to the shops? What is wrong with walking
there? If your argument is it's quicker (or less effort) then driving
there is even better.

Jim is pretty old and he rides a bike :-)

If Jim can do it (when it isn't raining),
you can.

I've only seen one person, where I can honestly
say they should stay the hell off a bicycle.

If you had any kind of "balance sports" as a
youth, like ice skating, roller blading,
roller skates, then you're salvage-able as
a prospective bike rider. And if you rode
a bike decades ago, you'll pick it up quickly.

I'm still cycling. The doctor has given me a
recommended heart rate target not to exceed,
and that still allows me to cycle. Just not
as fast as in the past. Driving 20km/hour
brings me up to my limit. "Ask your doctor
if cycling is right for you" :-)

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 17:18:36 +0000 (GMT), charles
wrote:

snip

A woman posted on local Facebook group that her folding bike had been
stolen from the railway station bike park. A week later she found it
chained up where she left it ... at the other end of the bike shed
than where she 'normally' parks it. ;-)

My daughter's bike (a folding one) was stolen from the reception area of
her London Office.

Yup, people sneak (or walk in brazenly) in and grab what they can get
(laptops, purses, bikes ...)

It appeared on ebay a few days later.

Oh.

The City of London
Police weren't interested.

Was it recovered though? Did anyone contact eBay? I wonder if any
relevant insurance Co's would have been interested?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 18:01:59 +0000, Andrew
wrote:

On 17/12/2020 16:46, T i m wrote:
On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 06:12:37 -0800 (PST), John J
wrote:

snip

Selby has a system where you go shopping and leave your bike for a few minutes. Go inside, come out and discover someone has stolen your bike.

There are bikes and bikes. I'm not sure I'd leave anything worth £500
or more in public without proper security or properly attended.

Most end up in the river or canal.

A woman posted on local Facebook group that her folding bike had been
stolen from the railway station bike park. A week later she found it
chained up where she left it ... at the other end of the bike shed
than where she 'normally' parks it. ;-)

The whole point of folding bikes (like ?Brompton) is that
you take it with you on the train, surely ?.

Yes, bike that fold as compactly as the Brompton would probably be
easy for someone big / strong enough to carry onto the train with them
(or wheel it to the train then fold it and carry it on) but not all
folders are created equal.

My old, steel, Raleigh Shopper (20" wheel) for example *completely*
fills the luggage area of the Meriva and whilst it's portable enough
for all 6'2" of me to lift in / out the car, I wouldn't want to carry
it very far ... especially over a railway footbridge (regularly).

Plus I'm not sure it would fit under the seats so would typically mean
you standing over it in the unused doorway (on a local commuter train
anyway).

The problem with the Brompton is when you use it on the road, compared
with something as substantial as the 'Raleigh 20' (/Shopper, even), as
they have smaller (16" I think) wheels and quite a short wheelbase.

Still, better than a bike you don't have with you. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 18:07:14 +0000, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

snip

When we stayed in Castle Douglas it was a 50 mile round trip into
Dumfries to get a new headlamp for the Rover. Here it would be a ~1
mile walk / cycle.

`used to camp there down by the loch...cool place.....Kudos

Yeah, it was lovely around there ... for a break. I wouldn't like to
live there, too remote, everything is an effort (and generally a fair
car drive away).

Daughter was living up there with her B/F and his family and I
*nearly* gave them my Canadian canoe to use on Carlingwark Loch (his
M/D moved and split up). ;-(

Ironically it was staying up there, the house backing onto some fields
and her befriending a small herd of cattle ... and one day them not
being there to come over for treats and scratches ... that finally
turned daughter vegetarian.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 14:44:46 -0500, Paul
wrote:

snip

I've only seen one person, where I can honestly
say they should stay the hell off a bicycle.

Funny you should say that ... I did some IT support for some Catholic
nuns and the eldest (80 odd) used to cycle everywhere. She once
mentioned (with no hint of comedy or strangeness) that it wasn't that
easy to cycle whilst holding an umbrella! ;-)

Maybe that was a 'done thing' in Italy or one of the many countries
she had worked in?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 17:18:36 +0000 (GMT), charles
wrote:

snip

A woman posted on local Facebook group that her folding bike had been
stolen from the railway station bike park. A week later she found it
chained up where she left it ... at the other end of the bike shed
than where she 'normally' parks it. ;-)

My daughter's bike (a folding one) was stolen from the reception area of
her London Office.

Yup, people sneak (or walk in brazenly) in and grab what they can get
(laptops, purses, bikes ...)

It appeared on ebay a few days later.

Oh.

The City of London
Police weren't interested.

Was it recovered though? Did anyone contact eBay? I wonder if any
relevant insurance Co's would have been interested?

The police did give her a refence no, so her insurance co psid her.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2020 20:29, T i m wrote:
On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 18:07:14 +0000, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

snip

When we stayed in Castle Douglas it was a 50 mile round trip into
Dumfries to get a new headlamp for the Rover. Here it would be a ~1
mile walk / cycle.

`used to camp there down by the loch...cool place.....Kudos

Yeah, it was lovely around there ... for a break. I wouldn't like to
live there, too remote, everything is an effort (and generally a fair
car drive away).

Daughter was living up there with her B/F and his family and I
*nearly* gave them my Canadian canoe to use on Carlingwark Loch (his
M/D moved and split up). ;-(

Ironically it was staying up there, the house backing onto some fields
and her befriending a small herd of cattle ... and one day them not
being there to come over for treats and scratches ... that finally
turned daughter vegetarian.

Cheers, T i m

we have rellies that run the chippy.....Moores

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 21:25:26 +0000, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

snip

Daughter was living up there with her B/F and his family and I
*nearly* gave them my Canadian canoe to use on Carlingwark Loch (his
M/D moved and split up). ;-(

Ironically it was staying up there, the house backing onto some fields
and her befriending a small herd of cattle ... and one day them not
being there to come over for treats and scratches ... that finally
turned daughter vegetarian.

we have rellies that run the chippy.....Moores

Have they done so for a while? If so daughter is still in contact with
Ex's Mum, she can ask if she remembers them and bought food there?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 21:10:22 +0000 (GMT), charles
wrote:
snip

My daughter's bike (a folding one) was stolen from the reception area of
her London Office.

snip

The City of London
Police weren't interested.

Was it recovered though? Did anyone contact eBay? I wonder if any
relevant insurance Co's would have been interested?

The police did give her a refence no, so her insurance co psid her.

The thing is, with no follow-up / comeback on the crims we all end up
paying for such things.

If I buy anything off a private seller on eBay or Gumtree I often have
a look and see if it's the sort of thing that could be easily stolen
.... and if it is, don't buy from them.

The last was some home automation lighting stuff, new Lidl gear and
similar. Looked iffy so walked away.

I thought if you bought stolen goods you may not be done for
'receiving' but they could take them off you (to return to the genuine
owner)?

In theory wouldn't have taken much to get the name of the purchaser of
the bike and recovered it, making people think twice about anything
too good to be true?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2020 21:57, T i m wrote:
On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 21:25:26 +0000, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

snip

Daughter was living up there with her B/F and his family and I
*nearly* gave them my Canadian canoe to use on Carlingwark Loch (his
M/D moved and split up). ;-(

Ironically it was staying up there, the house backing onto some fields
and her befriending a small herd of cattle ... and one day them not
being there to come over for treats and scratches ... that finally
turned daughter vegetarian.

we have rellies that run the chippy.....Moores

Have they done so for a while? If so daughter is still in contact with
Ex's Mum, she can ask if she remembers them and bought food there?

Cheers, T i m

Walter and Mauren moved down there decades ago we met them outside their
fancy house near the lake in the 80's think they died 2016 rellies
running the chippy...did you know Castle Douglas has only one piub the
rest are hotels ? .....

do you remember the old cinema now flats? ....

loved Hazel's antiques .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 09:32:03 +0000, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

snip

we have rellies that run the chippy.....Moores

Have they done so for a while? If so daughter is still in contact with
Ex's Mum, she can ask if she remembers them and bought food there?

Walter and Mauren moved down there decades ago we met them outside their
fancy house near the lake in the 80's think they died 2016 rellies
running the chippy...

Ok.

did you know Castle Douglas has only one piub the
rest are hotels ? .....

No.

do you remember the old cinema now flats? ....

I don't as we only went to and stayed in their house (further out in
the sticks) and didn't actually go into Castle Douglas, other than
possibly going though it on the way in and out. This was a few days
over Xmyth a few years back and it was snowy (but could also have been
in August eh). ;-)

loved Hazel's antiques .....

I'll ask if the Ex's mother remembers / used either.

I think she moved up to Troon, near others of the family.

Cheers, T i m