Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default OT Global ****ing with rain ....

On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 13:50:47 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 10:16:16 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

snip

The irony of course is that 'we' often take the **** out of the
Americans for being lazy / car bound because they wouldn't think of
walking / cycling *anywhere*, let alone to the shops.

I don't know amyone who cycles to the shops.

Then may I suggest you get out (of your car) more (or maybe you don't
live or know anyone who lives within a cycle ride of the shops)? ;-)

Most of my friends are like me - too old to start cycling again.

What age would that be then, given the ages of some of the people
still cycling and even doing extended trips?

And I wonder if it's the fact that they are still cycling, still out
in the air and sunshine, still exercising and switched onto their
surroundings that keeps them alive?

I'm 64 and have no issue jumping on a bike and going 10 miles (I often
walk similar with the dog).

And just
why would you want to cycle to the shops?

Distance and or time.

What is wrong with walking
there?

Nothing, if time isn't an issue and you can carry what you need.

If your argument is it's quicker (or less effort) then driving
there is even better.

As long as you can park when you get there, park free when you get
there and park anywhere near your house when you get home.

Bikes are generally
impractical for carrying things.

Erm, if not set up for 'carrying things' then yes. For me a bike is
for carrying me and things so all of mine are. Most also can take the
trailer so can move even more.

Do you keep those in the garage - car outside? ;-)

Shed, car outside. ;-)

Just how practical do you think a bike and trailer would be for the
average London flat dweller?

Perfectly.

Leave it outside and the wheels would be gone
in seconds.

So why most don't.

Never quite understood how dishonest bike users are. ;-)

Not sure 'bike users' are the ones doing the stealing any more than
it's car drivers that steal cars, house dwellers burgling houses or
phone users stealing phones?

snip

Not round here even. Go to any of the popular shops with car parks
(like Aldi) and you often have to circulate till you can find a space.

Then choose a better time to go.

Personally I prefer the convenience of going when I want and not
having to worry about how long I'll spend in traffic or if I can park
when I get there. Plus, I can generally go as the crow flies and
though the town centre, not have to go round all the ring roads and
one way systems (even walking the bike up the wrong way etc).

Neighbour doesn't have a car and uses his electric bike for work and
'bits' shopping. He also does his main shop on his feet. The two
direct-next door neighbours both have cars but they spend 99,9% of
their time parked outside and they pick up shopping as they walk from
the station.

But then it's also going to be the worst time to
shop using a bike.

Not really, because it generally easier to find somewhere to park a
bike as car can't park in the bike parking (if they could some would
of course).

There is plenty parking for bikes with trailers?

Yup. A bike with trailer takes up about the same space as two bikes
and about 1/4 of a car. [1]

snip

Cheers, T i m

[1] I have a B.O.B. 'Yak' single wheel trailer that will generally go
though any gap that I'd want to cycle though.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/trailers...yak-sak-black/

AS I said, we mainly do the shopping on foot so use the Yak behind
either solo cycle or tandem when camping / touring.

p.s. I had a go on an adult scooter the other day and *discovered*
that a length (1/4 mile) of paved bridleway I'd walked 100's of times
and assumed was pretty level had sufficient gradient for me to roll
one end to the other with no additional input. ;-)