Posted to alt.home.repair
cln cln is offline

Default Rain, rain go away. Water in basement

I have some water seeping into my basement. It didn't used to bother
me but we finally finished one section of the basement.

Water is comming from in between the slab and the walls. I'm assuming
it's the water tile or drainage that is clogged. Water only comes in
when it rains (hard/long). We had eavestrough installed last summer
but that didn't help enough... I'm sure extending the drain pipes away
further from the house might help but I still think the problem is
elsewhere.

Other than digging up the entire foundation, is there a way to Snake
the system clean? would this just end up being a temporary fix?

Suggestions?
Posted to alt.home.repair
cln cln is offline

TO ADD:
I do have a sump pump but water pools all around in lower spots. Pump
is in one corner of the house and water comes in 2 other corners...
I want to stop the water from coming in. Pump is just ther in case an
inch or more comes in. House was built 15 years ago, wish that the
edges of the slab where slanted (or V like trench) like you see in new
homes...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 08:30:59 -0800 (PST), cln
wrote:

TO ADD:
I do have a sump pump but water pools all around in lower spots. Pump
is in one corner of the house and water comes in 2 other corners...
I want to stop the water from coming in. Pump is just ther in case an
inch or more comes in. House was built 15 years ago, wish that the
edges of the slab where slanted (or V like trench) like you see in new
homes...

Get a waterproofing service in. Free estimate.
They might be able to seal the floor/wall joint.
I know U.S. Waterproofing lifetime guarantees their work.
That's from a workmate who had them fix a leak then 15 years later
they refixed it at no cost to him.
I had them fix some foundation wall cracks that were leaking with good
results - about 5 years ago.
If you don't like the price, think of something else.
Like figuring you'll always get water in the basement if it rains
enough, and accounting for that when you finish your basement.
For example, I don't carpet my basement, but have some rugs I can roll
up and get off the floor when it rains hard and long.
I don't put any stuffed furniture down there.
I won't insulate the walls with batts.
Won't drywall or use expensive paneling.
Nothing I can't afford to lose from flooding goes down there.
Blah, blah.
You decide what works for you.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair
cln cln is offline

Get a waterproofing service in. *Free estimate.

I'll try to find someone to come in. it may not be what I think it
is..

I actually just looked at the drain outside by the ditch. The water is
coming out clear...but slow. I think it might be the ditch that can't
handle the load and it's not even raining anymore. I'll call DOT to
see if they can come have a look but they will probably blame my
culvet or driveway...

For example, I don't carpet my basement, but have some rugs I can roll
up and get off the floor when it rains hard and long.
I don't put any stuffed furniture down there.
I won't insulate the walls with batts.
Won't drywall or use expensive paneling.
Nothing I can't afford to lose from flooding goes down there.
Blah, blah.
You decide what works for you.

--Vic

Thanks Vic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 8, 1:48*pm, cln wrote:
[...]

First thing I would do is check on what is going on OUTSIDE. Is the
grading correct so that it leads water
away from the foundation? Is the water from the gutters
taken 8ft or so away or just running off a short spash block
back to the foundation? Go out there and look when it is
actually raining hard. I've had cases where what you think
is happening and what actually happens are quite different
For example, I had 4" corugated pipe slipped over the end
of one downspout and it turned out with a heavy rain, it was
not secured on high enough, resulting in water pouring out
right at the foundation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 9, 7:53*am, "
wrote:
On Dec 8, 1:48*pm, cln wrote:

[...]

right at the foundation.- Hide quoted text -

Been there done that , Discovered that water was shooting out from
between the downspout and pipe and shooting up undeneath the siding.
Solution was to install the proper downspout to pipe stransitions.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair
cln cln is offline

On Dec 9, 8:53*am, "
wrote:
On Dec 8, 1:48*pm, cln wrote:

[...]

It's not taken away 8', now that you say that I was expecting SOME
changes with the new gutters that it would make a bigger difference.
but it seems to be the same. My wife won't be happy about the extra
long pipes...but I'll bury them next summer.
As far as the slope, it's ok I guess one side is obviously ok but
seems like the backyard could use some lift.
Posted to alt.home.repair
cln cln is offline

On Dec 10, 5:23*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
On Dec 9, 7:53*am, "
wrote:

On Dec 8, 1:48*pm, cln wrote:

[...]

water for me is certainly coming from the slab/foundation... it's not
running down the wall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 15, 6:10*pm, cln wrote:
On Dec 10, 5:23*pm, JIMMIE wrote:

On Dec 9, 7:53*am, "
wrote:

On Dec 8, 1:48*pm, cln wrote:

[...]

running down the wall.- Hide quoted text -

The type of situatin Jimmie is describing can also lead to water
coming
up from the slab/foundation. If water is pouring out next to the
house at
grade level, that water results in more water in the area close to the
house. Typically it could come out of the wall, but if the wall is
sealed
well, it could come out from the basement floor near the wall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 16, 9:56*am, "
wrote:
On Dec 15, 6:10*pm, cln wrote:

On Dec 10, 5:23*pm, JIMMIE wrote:

On Dec 9, 7:53*am, "
wrote:

On Dec 8, 1:48*pm, cln wrote:

[...]

well, it could come out from the basement floor near the wall.- Hide quoted text -

transistion between downspout and drain pipe should NOT be a 45
fitting .....

use 2 22.5s for a easy transistion avoiding back pressure which could
lead to backup leak at bend