Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul[_46_] Paul[_46_] is offline

Default OT Global ****ing with rain ....

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
T i m wrote:
On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 10:16:16 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

snip

The irony of course is that 'we' often take the **** out of the
Americans for being lazy / car bound because they wouldn't think of
walking / cycling *anywhere*, let alone to the shops.
I don't know amyone who cycles to the shops.

Then may I suggest you get out (of your car) more (or maybe you don't
live or know anyone who lives within a cycle ride of the shops)? ;-)

Most of my friends are like me - too old to start cycling again. And just
why would you want to cycle to the shops? What is wrong with walking
there? If your argument is it's quicker (or less effort) then driving
there is even better.

Jim is pretty old and he rides a bike :-)

If Jim can do it (when it isn't raining),
you can.

I've only seen one person, where I can honestly
say they should stay the hell off a bicycle.

If you had any kind of "balance sports" as a
youth, like ice skating, roller blading,
roller skates, then you're salvage-able as
a prospective bike rider. And if you rode
a bike decades ago, you'll pick it up quickly.

I'm still cycling. The doctor has given me a
recommended heart rate target not to exceed,
and that still allows me to cycle. Just not
as fast as in the past. Driving 20km/hour
brings me up to my limit. "Ask your doctor
if cycling is right for you" :-)

Paul