Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default OT Global ****ing with rain ....

On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 00:54:45 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
you know that is no substitute for the car

For whom? Are you saying there isn't anyone in Scotland (even) who
doesn't have a car and who does everything by bike?

Even Scotland has its share of nutcases.

The irony of course is that 'we' often take the **** out of the
Americans for being lazy / car bound because they wouldn't think of
walking / cycling *anywhere*, let alone to the shops.

Yet if you live in big city they are often the best way to do it, as
car ownership isn't practical and if you do have one it often takes
longer to drive to the shops and find a parking space than to walk
there (and park when you get back).

If there were more 'nutcases', we would have more space on the roads
and fewer people dying from air pollution.

If you 'choose' to live miles away from anywhere because you prefer
it, you are likely to produce more pollution when doing those things
others can do on foot because you have to use the car for everything.

When we stayed in Castle Douglas it was a 50 mile round trip into
Dumfries to get a new headlamp for the Rover. Here it would be a ~1
mile walk / cycle.

Cheers, T i m