Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Opening tight jar lids.

Maybe I got lucky and this was a one off and I've
checked Google - and nothing.

As before grip the lid with all your force, using
whatever additional help may be needed tea towel,
rubber glove etc.

Then take hold of the jar in the other hand

And er, turn the jar.

You can always get a better grip on a glass jar simply
with the width of your hand, given which it seems to
make more sense to turn the jar rather than the lid.
Which still needs to be gripped firmly, but not turned
at the same time.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2020 14:42, michael adams wrote:
Maybe I got lucky and this was a one off and I've
checked Google - and nothing.

As before grip the lid with all your force, using
whatever additional help may be needed tea towel,
rubber glove etc.

Then take hold of the jar in the other hand

And er, turn the jar.

You can always get a better grip on a glass jar simply
with the width of your hand, given which it seems to
make more sense to turn the jar rather than the lid.
Which still needs to be gripped firmly, but not turned
at the same time.

michael adams

Just hold it horizontally and pour some really hot water
over the lid. Usually does the trick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 08/11/2020 14:42, michael adams wrote:
Maybe I got lucky and this was a one off and I've
checked Google - and nothing.

As before grip the lid with all your force, using
whatever additional help may be needed tea towel,
rubber glove etc.

Then take hold of the jar in the other hand

And er, turn the jar.

You can always get a better grip on a glass jar simply
with the width of your hand, given which it seems to
make more sense to turn the jar rather than the lid.
Which still needs to be gripped firmly, but not turned
at the same time.

michael adams

Just hold it horizontally and pour some really hot water
over the lid. Usually does the trick.

Indeed. That's one of the many methods recommnded on the net.

The point about my approach is that you don't need to take
any additional measures - you carry on doing what you were doing
before, only the other way round. Basically you can exert more turning
force using the width of your hand on the glass than you can trying to
concentrate all of your force in trying to turn a relatively narrow lid,
Obviously the forces exerted by each hand balance only one is
held rigid and the other exerts turning force

michael adams

relaively narrow lid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2020 14:42, michael adams wrote:
Maybe I got lucky and this was a one off and I've
checked Google - and nothing.

As before grip the lid with all your force, using
whatever additional help may be needed tea towel,
rubber glove etc.

Then take hold of the jar in the other hand

And er, turn the jar.

You can always get a better grip on a glass jar simply
with the width of your hand, given which it seems to
make more sense to turn the jar rather than the lid.
Which still needs to be gripped firmly, but not turned
at the same time.

These work extremely well on a variety of jar lids

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lever-Actio.../dp/B0001IX9RW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmPsPTE1Sss

https://youtu.be/M6wwLB6oIJ0?t=50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrbfGm7dVA4

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 8 November 2020 14:43:00 UTC, michael adams wrote:
Maybe I got lucky and this was a one off and I've
checked Google - and nothing.

As before grip the lid with all your force, using
whatever additional help may be needed tea towel,
rubber glove etc.

Then take hold of the jar in the other hand

And er, turn the jar.

You can always get a better grip on a glass jar simply
with the width of your hand, given which it seems to
make more sense to turn the jar rather than the lid.
Which still needs to be gripped firmly, but not turned
at the same time.

michael adams

Use your left hand (if you're right handed). Apparently it's something to do with the muscle structure in your arms.

Jonathah

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 08/11/2020 14:42, michael adams wrote:
Maybe I got lucky and this was a one off and I've
checked Google - and nothing.

As before grip the lid with all your force, using
whatever additional help may be needed tea towel,
rubber glove etc.

Then take hold of the jar in the other hand

And er, turn the jar.

You can always get a better grip on a glass jar simply
with the width of your hand, given which it seems to
make more sense to turn the jar rather than the lid.
Which still needs to be gripped firmly, but not turned
at the same time.

These work extremely well on a variety of jar lids

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lever-Actio.../dp/B0001IX9RW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmPsPTE1Sss

https://youtu.be/M6wwLB6oIJ0?t=50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrbfGm7dVA4

So they all work better than simply turning jar instead, do they ?

I mean I don't know. I've always turned the lids, but my recent experience
suggests that maybe I along with everyone else it seems has been doing
it wrong all along. As there's nothing that readily comes up on Google
about turning the jar instead.

The only problem is, I don't really want to go round opening jars of stuff
I don't need to open right now, hopefilly jars with really tight lids,
just to find out if it was a one-off or not.

michael adams

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
michael adams wrote:

"alan_m" wrote in message
[...]

Most of these things tend to assume the jar won't turn when you use them.
Never did work that one out.

I take a tight one to the workshop. Support it in the woodwork vice - not
tight, obviously - and use a couple of strap wrenches, one to stop the jar
turning, one to turn the lid. Most do open with Marigolds, though. ;-)

--
*He's not dead - he's electroencephalographically challenged

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2020 16:00, michael adams wrote:
"alan_m" wrote in message

these work extremely well on a variety of jar lids

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lever-Actio.../dp/B0001IX9RW

So they all work better than simply turning jar instead, do they ?

I didn't look at the others, but that lever-action one works incredibly
well. It breaks the suction, and once that's done, the jar opens easily.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2020 14:42, michael adams wrote:
Maybe I got lucky and this was a one off and I've
checked Google - and nothing.

As before grip the lid with all your force, using
whatever additional help may be needed tea towel,
rubber glove etc.

Then take hold of the jar in the other hand

And er, turn the jar.

I've done it that way for as long as I can remember. As you say, much
easier than trying to turn the lid. The same applies when opening
champagne bottles without wanting to have the cork fly off - hold the
cork firmly and slowly rotate the bottle. The gentle pop is less
dramatic, but you don't lose any of the champagne.

--
Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 8 November 2020 14:43:00 UTC, michael adams wrote:
And er, turn the jar.
You can always get a better grip on a glass jar simply
with the width of your hand, given which it seems to
make more sense to turn the jar rather than the lid.
Which still needs to be gripped firmly, but not turned
at the same time.

On a few occasions I've used a small nail* to put a hole in the lid and release the vacuum.

Obviously this only works on things which are going to be consumed quickly where the jar is not needed to reclose, although a blob of insulation tape* can close the hole for a few days.

*I'm sure /we/ all have such things in our kitchens.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:
Maybe I got lucky and this was a one off and I've
checked Google - and nothing.

As before grip the lid with all your force, using
whatever additional help may be needed tea towel,
rubber glove etc.

Then take hold of the jar in the other hand

And er, turn the jar.

You can always get a better grip on a glass jar simply
with the width of your hand, given which it seems to
make more sense to turn the jar rather than the lid.
Which still needs to be gripped firmly, but not turned
at the same time.

michael adams

For commercial jar lids, you use a can opener, the one
with the triangle pointy bit on it, stick the pointy bit
under the edge of the jar lid. Apply a distorting force,
pulling the jar edge away from nominal position. This
will break the seal and allow you to turn it with ease.

Example of the can opener. The pointy end fits under
the edge of the jar lid. The rolling radius of where the
pointed part is bent, presses against the glass of the
jar, while you apply force. That's the fulcrum.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/03...g?v=1598385093

Only apply enough force to distort the lid so that
the vacuum seal is defeated, not enough to permanently
damage the jar top and ruin it for home projects.

A second method, is to strike the jar lid (one side)
with the palm of your hand. This too can break the seal,
but is a much less effective technique and not
recommended. You strike the jar lid with heel of
hand, then revert to unscrewing the lid and see if
it's let go. There were some jars where this would
work, and others where it took too many strikes
to achieve a result.

The triangle can opener always works, because you can just
destroy the lid if so desired :-) Using the palm
of your hand, if you strike it hard enough, you
can take a chip out of the glass.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, November 8, 2020 at 3:44:19 PM UTC, alan_m wrote:
On 08/11/2020 14:42, michael adams wrote:
Maybe I got lucky and this was a one off and I've
checked Google - and nothing.

As before grip the lid with all your force, using
whatever additional help may be needed tea towel,
rubber glove etc.

Then take hold of the jar in the other hand

And er, turn the jar.

You can always get a better grip on a glass jar simply
with the width of your hand, given which it seems to
make more sense to turn the jar rather than the lid.
Which still needs to be gripped firmly, but not turned
at the same time.

These work extremely well on a variety of jar lids

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lever-Actio.../dp/B0001IX9RW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmPsPTE1Sss

https://youtu.be/M6wwLB6oIJ0?t=50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrbfGm7dVA4

Must try one of those. One day in a fit of pique I ordered one of every type of jar opener available with free postage from China. ( when bored I like to surf ebay for small items from China with free postage. Items that are so cheap postage would preclude buying them from Amazon) Anyway they were all useless
Posted to uk.d-i-y

in article , fred
wrote:
[...]

-- mailto : news {at} admac {dot} myzen {dot} co {dot} uk

Must try one of those. One day in a fit of pique I ordered one of every
type of jar opener available with free postage from China. ( when bored I
like to surf ebay for small items from China with free postage. Items
that are so cheap postage would preclude buying them from Amazon) Anyway
they were all useless

Some year ago, I bought a 'strap wrench' for opening jars. Kitchen version
rather than a car version. Works well.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2020 14:42, michael adams wrote:
Maybe I got lucky and this was a one off and I've
checked Google - and nothing.

As before grip the lid with all your force, using
whatever additional help may be needed tea towel,
rubber glove etc.

Then take hold of the jar in the other hand

And er, turn the jar.

You can always get a better grip on a glass jar simply
with the width of your hand, given which it seems to
make more sense to turn the jar rather than the lid.
Which still needs to be gripped firmly, but not turned
at the same time.

michael adams

We find that opening a 2 lb jar of marmalade is a two person job. The
other half grips the jar with two hands and I grip the lid with two hands.

If she's not around, I have to resort to using Magnus[1] which is
similar to
https://www.wish.com/product/5b471ec..._wcB&share=web
and which we got from a charity shop for next to nothing. It can
generate a lot or torque, but tends to slip off jars whose lids have
sloping edges unless pressed firmly down while it's operating.

[1] Called Magnus "I've started so I'll finish" because it whirs away
for long after the lid is off, to get back to its rest position.

--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
Some year ago, I bought a 'strap wrench' for opening jars. Kitchen
version rather than a car version. Works well.

Two are better. One to hold the jar, one to turn the lid.

The real test is a large Baxter's baby beetroot jar. ;-) Or a large Tesco
pickled cucumber one.

--
*If a mute swears, does his mother wash his hands with soap?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 09 Nov 2020 14:04:26 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
charles wrote:
Some year ago, I bought a 'strap wrench' for opening jars. Kitchen
version rather than a car version. Works well.

Two are better. One to hold the jar, one to turn the lid.

The real test is a large Baxter's baby beetroot jar. ;-) Or a large Tesco
pickled cucumber one.

I've 2 of these; one is a bit longer than the standard jar opener but is
still OK for removing the shroud from a tap (the shrouds on my taps are
lightly lubed and finger tight) and the other somewhat bigger.
Never needed them for jars as I've developed a couple techniques for opening
even a tough 2 lb jar. In addition to the warming etc. mentioned up-thread,
I'll let others have a go (warms and squeezes the lid a bit), hold the
bottom of the jar so that axial force can be used (takes a bit of the
pre-load off the thread) and have straight arms down between legs as the
wrists are better able to cope. Also 'attack' it, after getting the feel for
it as the shock loading is high.
Mind, getting to the age...!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message

these work extremely well on a variety of jar lids

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lever-Actio.../dp/B0001IX9RW

So they all work better than simply turning jar instead, do they ?

I didn't look at the others, but that lever-action one works incredibly
well. It breaks the suction, and once that's done, the jar opens easily.

+0.1, works very well but overpriced.

Use a hammer/nail.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2020 11:00, charles wrote:
in article , fred
wrote:
[...]

'er indoors had most varieties and still can't always manage. I
introduced her to strap wrenches. But even those (including ones
designed for kitchens) fail for her - and for me too! - on some jars
where designers have decided the sides of the lids need to slope.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message

these work extremely well on a variety of jar lids

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lever-Actio.../dp/B0001IX9RW

So they all work better than simply turning jar instead, do they ?

I didn't look at the others, but that lever-action one works incredibly
well. It breaks the suction, and once that's done, the jar opens easily.

+0.1, works very well but overpriced.

Use a hammer/nail.

Very good - if you happen to knock over a jar after opening. ;-)

--
*Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 9 Nov 2020 16:21:49 +0000, Robin wrote:

Some year ago, I bought a 'strap wrench' for opening jars. Kitchen version
rather than a car version. Works well.

'er indoors had most varieties and still can't always manage. I
introduced her to strap wrenches. But even those (including ones
designed for kitchens) fail for her - and for me too! - on some jars
where designers have decided the sides of the lids need to slope.

I found that slightly abrading the strap helped a lot - it removed the mold
release. Then get the centre line of the strap on the acute edge of the
slope.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, November 9, 2020 at 11:25:19 AM UTC, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

We used to jam it between the hinge side of the door ad the door jamb and close the door on it.. Made a mess of the door and jambe but generally worked
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2020 14:33, fred wrote:
[...]

Has anyone considered using a pair oil filter wrench for this? They come
with rubber or cloth straps.....

One round the lid, the other around the jar......

Simples, no longer in a jam! :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
No Name wrote:
Has anyone considered using a pair oil filter wrench for this? They come
with rubber or cloth straps.....

One round the lid, the other around the jar......

Called strap wrenches. And mentioned ages ago. As something that really
does work unlike all the stupid ideas here. ;-)

--
*If a parsley farmer is sued, can they garnish his wages?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2020 14:50, No Name wrote:

Simples, no longer in a jam! :-)

The little lever device recommended before works well, is simple to use,
cheap, quite small to store and doesn't destroy the lid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
No Name wrote:
Has anyone considered using a pair oil filter wrench for this? They come
with rubber or cloth straps.....

One round the lid, the other around the jar......

Called strap wrenches. And mentioned ages ago. As something that really
does work unlike all the stupid ideas here. ;-)

For experience it doesn't always work on oil filters on cars! The
standby has always been to hammer a screwdriver through the filter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
In article ,
No Name wrote:
Has anyone considered using a pair oil filter wrench for this? They come
with rubber or cloth straps.....

One round the lid, the other around the jar......

Called strap wrenches. And mentioned ages ago. As something that really
does work unlike all the stupid ideas here. ;-)

For experience it doesn't always work on oil filters on cars! The
standby has always been to hammer a screwdriver through the filter

The version I have for car oil filters uses a chain rather than strap. So
doesn't rely totally on friction. It has teeth which bite into the filter.

--
*I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, November 11, 2020 at 12:34:46 AM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
alan_m wrote:
In article ,
No Name wrote:
Has anyone considered using a pair oil filter wrench for this? They come
with rubber or cloth straps.....

One round the lid, the other around the jar......

Called strap wrenches. And mentioned ages ago. As something that really
does work unlike all the stupid ideas here. ;-)

For experience it doesn't always work on oil filters on cars! The
standby has always been to hammer a screwdriver through the filter

The version I have for car oil filters uses a chain rather than strap. So
doesn't rely totally on friction. It has teeth which bite into the filter.

--
*I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

The best oil filter wrenches look like overlarge spanners which match the flats at the top of the filter.In the past I tried every version of these other types none of which worked sucessfully in confined spaces
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
michael adams wrote:

I mean I don't know. I've always turned the lids, but my recent experience
suggests that maybe I along with everyone else it seems has been doing
it wrong all along. As there's nothing that readily comes up on Google
about turning the jar instead.

The only problem is, I don't really want to go round opening jars of stuff
I don't need to open right now, hopefilly jars with really tight lids,
just to find out if it was a one-off or not.

Most of these things tend to assume the jar won't turn when you use them.
Never did work that one out.

I take a tight one to the workshop. Support it in the woodwork vice - not
tight, obviously - and use a couple of strap wrenches, one to stop the jar
turning, one to turn the lid. Most do open with Marigolds, though. ;-)

I don't think it actually matters which one you try to turn. Newtons
third law is relevant here and the grip with the weaker friction will
slip first. There might be a slight advantage therefore in using your
stronger grip on the smaller lid than on the body of the jar.

I find that for very stiff jamjar lids holding the lid and jar as hard
as I can out so that my arms cross at 120 degrees and moving the thing
sharply towards me allows me to put much more instantaneous torque onto
the recalcitrant jar lid than I can from just the wrist.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
fred wrote:
The best oil filter wrenches look like overlarge spanners which match
the flats at the top of the filter.In the past I tried every version of
these other types none of which worked sucessfully in confined spaces

Fine if your filter has flats - not all do. But if really tight, the thin
steel they are made out of will likely deform with a spanner. Assuming
there is room to get such a large spanner in.

At one time, some had an ordinary nut welded on the end.

--
*I'm planning to be spontaneous tomorrow *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
fred writes
On Wednesday, November 11, 2020 at 12:34:46 AM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
alan_m wrote:
In article ,
No Name wrote:
[...]

I've found a *strap wrench* pretty good. Mine is based on a box section
steel rod which takes a 1/2" socket driver. Where access is restricted,
you can use an extender.
I also have chain wrench but that would wreck a thin container.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:
On 11/11/2020 10:46, Tim Lamb wrote:

The best oil filter wrenches look like overlarge spanners which match
the flats at the top of the filter.In the past I tried every version
of these other types none of which worked sucessfully in confined spaces

I've found a *strap wrench* pretty good. Mine is based on a box section
steel rod which takes a 1/2" socket driver. Where access is restricted,
you can use an extender.

+1

The trick, of course, when doing your own oil changes is not to tighten
the filter like it's a cylinder head bolt. It will then come off by hand
easily enough.

--
*Why is it that most nudists are people you don't want to see naked?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The trick, of course, when doing your own oil changes is not to tighten
the filter like it's a cylinder head bolt. It will then come off by hand
easily enough.

That's the theory but having performed my own oil changes for 30+ years
oil filters seem to glue themselves on even if they were only screwed on
hand tight

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Nov 2020 at 16:46:51 GMT, ""Dave Plowman" News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Robin wrote:
On 11/11/2020 10:46, Tim Lamb wrote:

The best oil filter wrenches look like overlarge spanners which match
the flats at the top of the filter.In the past I tried every version
of these other types none of which worked sucessfully in confined spaces
I've found a *strap wrench* pretty good. Mine is based on a box section
steel rod which takes a 1/2" socket driver. Where access is restricted,
you can use an extender.

+1

The trick, of course, when doing your own oil changes is not to tighten
the filter like it's a cylinder head bolt. It will then come off by hand
easily enough.

I'd admit to fitting them hand tight plus a bit with the wrench. It just
*seems* like it's necessary on such an essential component that could wreck an
engine if it came loose.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:

The trick, of course, when doing your own oil changes is not to tighten
the filter like it's a cylinder head bolt. It will then come off by hand
easily enough.

That's the theory but having performed my own oil changes for 30+ years
oil filters seem to glue themselves on even if they were only screwed on
hand tight

Ok here. Just use one hand to tighten them. Two to remove - and make sure
it's clean first.

--
*I used up all my sick days so I called in dead

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2020 20:14, alan_m wrote:
On 10/11/2020 14:50, No Name wrote:

Simples, no longer in a jam! :-)

The little lever device recommended before works well, is simple to use,
cheap, quite small to store and doesn't destroy the lid.

It's a neat solution. We have one - expensive from LakeLand when they
first came out. But as a bit of mass produced plastic should now cost
less than a quid.

But, given that some large percentage of 63 million UK residents suffer
weekly problems opening bottles and Jam Jars, and we have identified
that a car oil filter strap wrench is the obvious solution, I'm gonna
book a huge prime time advertising campaign on ITV.

I should clean up nicely.... ;-)

Actually, thinking about it - someone needs to invent a bottle opener
device for items with a child-proof cap. Both medicine and cleaning
products bottles are sadly becoming adult-proof, I am often called to
open something and leave the cap on loose....

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2020 00:16, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Actually, thinking about it - someone needs to invent a bottle opener
device for items with a child-proof cap. Both medicine and cleaning
products bottles are sadly becoming adult-proof, I am often called to
open something and leave the cap on loose....

+1

Not only child proof lids but sealed bubble packs. The worst one I
encountered recently was a card of Duracell button batteries with a
child safe packing. Tear the plastic holding the battery from the card
and find that the plastic bubble is completely sealed. A pair of small
scissors or a craft/Stanley type knife is required to go further but the
lip that has to be cut is very narrow (and round).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
[...]

bleach bottles are *impossible*

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:

bleach bottles are *impossible*

washing machine pod containers are getting there ... now I cut the
locking tabs off.