Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Opening tight jar lids.

On Mon, 09 Nov 2020 14:04:26 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
charles wrote:
Some year ago, I bought a 'strap wrench' for opening jars. Kitchen
version rather than a car version. Works well.

Two are better. One to hold the jar, one to turn the lid.

The real test is a large Baxter's baby beetroot jar. ;-) Or a large Tesco
pickled cucumber one.

I've 2 of these; one is a bit longer than the standard jar opener but is
still OK for removing the shroud from a tap (the shrouds on my taps are
lightly lubed and finger tight) and the other somewhat bigger.
Never needed them for jars as I've developed a couple techniques for opening
even a tough 2 lb jar. In addition to the warming etc. mentioned up-thread,
I'll let others have a go (warms and squeezes the lid a bit), hold the
bottom of the jar so that axial force can be used (takes a bit of the
pre-load off the thread) and have straight arms down between legs as the
wrists are better able to cope. Also 'attack' it, after getting the feel for
it as the shock loading is high.
Mind, getting to the age...!
--
Peter.