Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing hose bib - How tight is tight?

I recently replaced a hose bib valve for my washing machine. Rather
then screw around with corroding stems and washers for the old one in
bad shape, I just installed a ball valve (quarter turn) bib. The whole
valve screws into a threaded elbow on the wall. I wrapped the threads 2
times with teflon tape and installed it.

The problem I had was that with the handle pointing up and the outlet
pointing down, it was just barely tight enough to require a wrench. I
attempted to tighten it more, but after just a 1/2 turn, it was
threatening to be overtightened. I backed off the 1/2 turn, but when I
turned on the water there was a tiny leak.

So what do you do when a valve needs to be installed so it is oriented
with the handle up, but it also needs to be tight? I ended up replacing
the teflon tape with more of it. (I think 3 1/2 times wrapped around)
and there were no leaks. But is that the right thing to do?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That is the most reasonable answer. If it doesn't leak, it doesn't
leak. Problem solved..

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jay Steiner" wrote in message
[...]

I had occasion to watch "pros" install some gas piping for a furnace.
They used pipe "dope" and really reefed on the connections to tighten
them - they really worked at it. Far tighter than I would have done
previously.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jay Steiner wrote:
[...]

I use ~4 to 5 wraps & tighten until the handle is where I want it.

Never loosen to get the handle where you want it....nearly always
results in a leak.

More wraps given you more teflon to "mush" out of the way, so you have
more turns passed "tight" to work with.

cheers
Bob

Substitute hose for Polaris 360 automatic swimming pool cleaner [email protected] Home Repair 8 June 13th 21 12:49 AM
HVLP Hose Bill Stock Woodworking 5 October 3rd 06 12:27 AM
roots in corrugated drain hose peter Home Repair 5 September 9th 06 05:27 AM
Was Shop heat---update Andrew V Metalworking 33 March 5th 06 03:32 PM
Foul odor from kitchen sink spray hose blu4899 Home Ownership 1 May 8th 04 11:56 PM