Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default DIY fire alarms.

Can someone explain the process for the DIY part below..

..........."Any costs will be the responsibility of home owners and
landlords. The cost of the alarms will vary according to what you
currently have in place and the alarms you choose to install We estimate
that the cost for an average three bedroom house which requires three
smoke alarms, one heat alarm and one carbon monoxide detector will be
around £220.

This is based on using the type of alarms that you can install by
yourself without the need for an electrician for installing a hard-wired
alarm".............
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:
Can someone explain the process for the DIY part below..

.........."Any costs will be the responsibility of home owners and
landlords. The cost of the alarms will vary according to what you
currently have in place and the alarms you choose to install We estimate
that the cost for an average three bedroom house which requires three
smoke alarms, one heat alarm and one carbon monoxide detector will be
around £220.

This is based on using the type of alarms that you can install by
yourself without the need for an electrician for installing a hard-wired
alarm".............

Depends what kind of alarms they're talking about - basic alarms are £10-20
each, fancier ones with lifetime batteries and radio interlinking could be
more in the £40-60 bracket. Installation is basically put a couple of screws
into a joist, installing the battery (if any) and holding down a button to pair them
(if linked).

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 13 October 2020 21:15:11 UTC+1, ss wrote:
Can someone explain the process for the DIY part below..
This is based on using the type of alarms that you can install by
yourself without the need for an electrician for installing a hard-wired
alarm".............

2 moke alarms and a heat alarm £90.
https://www.safelincs.co.uk/ultrafir...ssentials-kit/

CO detector £16
https://www.safelincs.co.uk/slim-lin...rm-5dco-kidde/

battery powered, stick them to the wall/ceiling.

The Scottish Govt tried to "sell" me similar things for free, made by Fire Angel (which get really bad reviews in Which for a large number being faulty) but as I already have 5 smokes, 1 heat, 1 CO, all AICO, all hardwired and interlinked with a locator switch, I declined.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 13/10/2020 21:53, wrote:
On Tuesday, 13 October 2020 21:15:11 UTC+1, ss wrote:
Can someone explain the process for the DIY part below..
This is based on using the type of alarms that you can install by
yourself without the need for an electrician for installing a hard-wired
alarm".............

2 moke alarms and a heat alarm £90.
https://www.safelincs.co.uk/ultrafir...ssentials-kit/

CO detector £16
https://www.safelincs.co.uk/slim-lin...rm-5dco-kidde/

battery powered, stick them to the wall/ceiling.

The Scottish Govt tried to "sell" me similar things for free, made by Fire Angel (which get really bad reviews in Which for a large number being faulty) but as I already have 5 smokes, 1 heat, 1 CO, all AICO, all hardwired and interlinked with a locator switch, I declined.

Owain

I should have mentioned it is the new scottish legislation that requires
all houses to be hard wired with smoke /fire alarms by Feb 2021.
I have 4 battery in my house but I dont understand this part......

...."This is based on using the type of alarms that you can install by
yourself without the need for an electrician for installing a hard-wired
alarm"
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 13/10/2020 21:56, ss wrote:
On 13/10/2020 21:53, wrote:
On Tuesday, 13 October 2020 21:15:11 UTC+1, ssÂ* wrote:
[...]

It seems the law applies to both private and rented accommodation.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/fi...cottish-homes/

but it does not say they have to be hard wired.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 13/10/2020 21:53, wrote:
On Tuesday, 13 October 2020 21:15:11 UTC+1, ss wrote:
Can someone explain the process for the DIY part below..
This is based on using the type of alarms that you can install by
yourself without the need for an electrician for installing a hard-wired
alarm".............

2 moke alarms and a heat alarm £90.
https://www.safelincs.co.uk/ultrafir...ssentials-kit/

CO detector £16
https://www.safelincs.co.uk/slim-lin...rm-5dco-kidde/

battery powered, stick them to the wall/ceiling.

The Scottish Govt tried to "sell" me similar things for free, made by Fire Angel (which get really bad reviews in Which for a large number being faulty) but as I already have 5 smokes, 1 heat, 1 CO, all AICO, all hardwired and interlinked with a locator switch, I declined.

I believe it was AICO CO detectors that failed the Which tests (on a
sample of 3)

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss Wrote in message:
Can someone explain the process for the DIY part below..

.........."Any costs will be the responsibility of home owners and
landlords. The cost of the alarms will vary according to what you
currently have in place and the alarms you choose to install We estimate
that the cost for an average three bedroom house which requires three
smoke alarms, one heat alarm and one carbon monoxide detector will be
around £220.

This is based on using the type of alarms that you can install by
yourself without the need for an electrician for installing a hard-wired
alarm".............

It would help if you included some context, but it's this:

https://www.gov.scot/publications/fi...larms-in-scott
ish-homes/

The DIY process as you put it seems to be that you go to B&Q, buy
the requisite number of interlinked alarms, and screw them to
your ceiling.
--

%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 13 October 2020 22:19:23 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
I believe it was AICO CO detectors that failed the Which tests (on a
sample of 3)

That was the 208 at £21.

I got the EI261ENRC which was a bit more expensive.

Although it's discontinued now and its replacement isn't hardwire interlinkable.

Anyway, the presence of a box on the wall keeps surveyors happy. I don't expect any will have a CO tester along with the damp meter.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Why would I need three and why a heat alarm and a co2 alarm?
I guess it could be so if you had a family and gas central heating or gas
anything.

Luckily I do not.
I noticed that in a flat where the fire service had installed free smoke
alarms they were held to the ceiling and walls simply by self adhesive pads.
I'd have thought that rather insecure. However I copied this idea, and its
certainly stuck very weell.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"ss" wrote in message
Can someone explain the process for the DIY part below..

.........."Any costs will be the responsibility of home owners and
landlords. The cost of the alarms will vary according to what you
currently have in place and the alarms you choose to install We estimate
that the cost for an average three bedroom house which requires three
smoke alarms, one heat alarm and one carbon monoxide detector will be
around £220.

This is based on using the type of alarms that you can install by yourself
without the need for an electrician for installing a hard-wired
alarm".............

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/10/2020 21:53, wrote:
On Tuesday, 13 October 2020 21:15:11 UTC+1, ss wrote:
Can someone explain the process for the DIY part below.. This is
based on using the type of alarms that you can install by yourself
without the need for an electrician for installing a hard-wired
alarm".............

2 moke alarms and a heat alarm £90.
https://www.safelincs.co.uk/ultrafir...ssentials-kit/

CO detector £16
https://www.safelincs.co.uk/slim-lin...rm-5dco-kidde/

battery powered, stick them to the wall/ceiling.

The Scottish Govt tried to "sell" me similar things for free, made by
Fire Angel (which get really bad reviews in Which for a large number
being faulty) but as I already have 5 smokes, 1 heat, 1 CO, all AICO,
all hardwired and interlinked with a locator switch, I declined.

Unless things have changed very recently due to Covid restrictions the
local fire brigade go around pensioners houses installing fire alarms
for free when they have nothing better to do.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/98979...-fire-service/

It is much more cost effective than having to put out a domestic fire.

Typically (for historical reasons) one over the TV in the living room
and one on the on upstairs landing. TV's haven't really caught fire much
since the valve era (when it was all too common).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

Why would I need [...] a co2 alarm?

Don't breathe near it ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/10/2020 21:32, Theo wrote:
Installation is basically put a couple of screws
into a joist,

Plaster ceiling fixing is OK. Undersized hole (6mm or make it with a
0.25" screwdriver) brown plug, tap the plug in, 1.25 or 1.5" No 6 woodscrew.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
On 13/10/2020 21:56, ss wrote:
On 13/10/2020 21:53, wrote:
[...]

It specifically says that they don't have to be

"You can install tamper proof long-life lithium battery alarms or
mains-wired alarms."

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff (Sofa)" wrote in message
Why would I need three

main living area, upstairs landing and downstairs landing, as required by
the regs, would be a typical installation.

and why a heat alarm

because the regs require it, if you have a kitchen. And who doesn't?

and a co2 alarm?

required if you have gas heating or an open fire.

I guess it could be so if you had a family

size of house is relevant factor, not size of family

and gas central heating or gas anything.

Luckily I do not.
I noticed that in a flat where the fire service had installed free smoke
alarms they were held to the ceiling and walls simply by self adhesive
pads. I'd have thought that rather insecure. However I copied this idea,
and its certainly stuck very weell.

That's' good to know

I have concrete ceilings which are a bugger to drill into

(not that I'm subject to the regs, but changes could be made to English
ones - I'm frequently being nagged into having a CO detector - one day it
will become mandatory)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/10/2020 08:15, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Why would I need three and why a heat alarm and a co2 alarm?
I guess it could be so if you had a family and gas central heating or gas
anything.

Luckily I do not.
I noticed that in a flat where the fire service had installed free smoke
alarms they were held to the ceiling and walls simply by self adhesive pads.
I'd have thought that rather insecure. However I copied this idea, and its
certainly stuck very weell.
Brian

In my case, I have 4 CO alarms, 2 heat detectors and 10 Smoke detectors
all mains powered and interlinked.

The two heat detectors are in kitchen and loft. The 4 CO detectors are
above gas boiler in kitchen, near to woodburner in lounge and in the
bedroom above and loft above that (proximity to chimney stack)

The smoe dets are in lounge, dining room, hall, 5 bedrooms, landing and
garage.

Its also all connected to the house alarm system as a 24 hour zone. The
house alarm cann remotely signal to me if I am out of the house.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Oct 2020 08:15:27 +0100, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

Why would I need three and why a heat alarm ...

Less chance of false alarms with heat alarms in/near kitchens.

... and a co2 alarm?

CO ...

In the room with a gas boiler in case the professional servicing it
fups up the combustion settings and damages the room seal allowing CO
into the room.

In the room with a woodburner/stove, damaged seals allowing CO into
the room. A stove/wood burner needs a decent free air supply, without
which the draw for the chimeny might not maintain a negative pressure
in the stove. Wind direction dependant...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Oct 2020 09:10:14 +0100, tim... wrote:

and a co2 alarm?

required if you have gas heating or an open fire.

Open fire? Not a stove/woodburner?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Oct 2020 09:21:55 +0100, No Name wrote:

In my case, I have 4 CO alarms, 2 heat detectors and 10 Smoke detectors
all mains powered and interlinked.

16 devices, ouch at say 7 W each 112 W. 980+ kWHr/year or best
part £150/year. 5 W each is still £100/year...

Seems a bit OTT to have a smoke detector in each bedroom unless
you're smokers and smoke in bed... We have boiler room, kitchen, snug
(wood burner), 2 on the landing (split level with a dividing beam).
They are there just to wakes us up and get us out in the event of
fire.

By the time the fire brigade turn up, single pump, retained fire
fighters, it'll be over 10 minutes from the call, house likely to be
"well alight". Only water available is the water the pump carries. No
hydrant within miles, though there is a water main Wash Out a couple
of hundred yards away but I doubt that they have enough suction hose
to reach that. Next nearest pumps will take 30 to 40 minutes to
arrive. Houses literally burn down around here...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Oct 2020 08:36:52 +0100, Martin Brown

Unless things have changed very recently due to Covid restrictions the
local fire brigade go around pensioners houses installing fire alarms
for free when they have nothing better to do.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/98979...-fire-service/

It is much more cost effective than having to put out a domestic fire.

Typically (for historical reasons) one over the TV in the living room
and one on the on upstairs landing. TV's haven't really caught fire much
since the valve era (when it was all too common).

and around here they have been supplying and fitting the Fire Angle
ones, whose 10 years batteries seem to fail after 1-2 years (I've had
4 like that).

Can anyone recommend an alternative?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/10/2020 11:37, Davidm wrote:

Can anyone recommend an alternative?

Almost any of the ones that take a PP9 battery are OK - just remember to
test them occasionally especially as winter approaches or you will be
woken up at 4 in the morning by the thing going "beep" every few minutes
due to the drop in battery voltage at the coldest time of night.

Much more depends on putting it in the right place to detect any smoke
and not see burnt toast, or roast Sunday lunch than on the alarm.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
idual.net...
On Wed, 14 Oct 2020 09:10:14 +0100, tim... wrote:

and a co2 alarm?

required if you have gas heating or an open fire.

Open fire? Not a stove/woodburner?

the narrative was unclear on that point

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/10/2020 08:15, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Why would I need three and why a heat alarm and a co2 alarm?

Because you haven't read the Scottish legal requirements for
fire/heat/CO alarms in houses.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 14/10/2020 20:35, mm0fmf wrote:
On 14/10/2020 08:15, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Why would I need three and why a heat alarm and a co2 alarm?

Because you haven't read the Scottish legal requirements for fire/heat/CO
alarms in houses.

new houses

all houses

To be enforced by making them unsellable/rentable if you haven't don't it.

So pretty useless if it's your "forever" home

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/10/2020 09:10, tim... wrote:

(not that I'm subject to the regs, but changes could be made to English
ones - I'm frequently being nagged into having a CO detector - one day
it will become mandatory)

But after being made compulsory how long afterwards will most of them
cease to work due to dead batteries, not being replaced at end of life,
chocked full of dust or simply removed because of too many false alarms.
Will we all be required to pay for an annual check to certify that
the detectors are still in place and working.

Why would you need a CO2 detector if ALL of your heating and cooking
needs are going to come from wind and solar?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/10/2020 10:12, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 14 Oct 2020 09:21:55 +0100, No Name wrote:

In my case, I have 4 CO alarms, 2 heat detectors and 10 Smoke detectors
all mains powered and interlinked.

16 devices, ouch at say 7 W each 112 W. 980+ kWHr/year or best
part £150/year. 5 W each is still £100/year...

Why 7W per device? A battery powered smoke or CO2 detector alarm can
run for over a year on a single PP3 battery. BUT Possibly only a few
hours if the alarm was continually sounding. Is the specification for
you mains powered units a maximum of 7W (when in alarm mode) and much
much less in standby detect mode.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 14/10/2020 09:10, tim... wrote:

(not that I'm subject to the regs, but changes could be made to English
ones - I'm frequently being nagged into having a CO detector - one day it
will become mandatory)

But after being made compulsory how long afterwards will most of them
cease to work due to dead batteries, not being replaced at end of life,
chocked full of dust or simply removed because of too many false alarms.

which is why it's stupid

Will we all be required to pay for an annual check to certify that the
detectors are still in place and working.

Checks will simply be done as part of new occupancies, either tenants or
owner

Makes sense in the letting sector where churn can be high, but not for OOs
where it can be much lower

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
On 14/10/2020 10:12, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 14 Oct 2020 09:21:55 +0100, No Name wrote:

In my case, I have 4 CO alarms, 2 heat detectors and 10 Smoke detectors
all mains powered and interlinked.

16 devices, ouch at say 7 W each 112 W. 980+ kWHr/year or best
part £150/year. 5 W each is still £100/year...

Why 7W per device? A battery powered smoke or CO2 detector alarm can
run for over a year on a single PP3 battery. BUT Possibly only a few
hours if the alarm was continually sounding. Is the specification for
you mains powered units a maximum of 7W (when in alarm mode) and much
much less in standby detect mode.

these are not CO2 detectors, if they were they'd be buzzing all day long.
They are Carbon MONOXIDE detectors.

You might, if there was a power cut, be stupid enough to bring a petrol
generator indoors.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England