John Borman

Default Connecting linked fire alarms

Hi, I have installed two interlinked fire alarms as part of a renovation
project. However they are not linked at present just have two white cables,
coming from each one. Is it ok to take a single core out of some 1mm/1.5mm2
cable I have laying around as I cant seem to find a single core that's not
red or black, and I have three way cable with a different colour core which
I could use.

Thanks
John

Do you mean smoke alarms, interlinked to each other?
Fire alarms are as used in commercial buildings with a central panel
monitoring?
If so suggest you d/load one of installers manual to give you general
guidance
http://www.smoke-alarms.co.uk/alarmfeatures.shtml

Select "alarm features/manuals" on top navigation bar
You can only interconnect with 3 core & earth.
These manuals are for UK market only.

Use this link, and navigate to Manuals page
http://www.smoke-alarms.co.uk

John Rumm

John Borman wrote:

Hi, I have installed two interlinked fire alarms as part of a renovation
project. However they are not linked at present just have two white cables,
coming from each one. Is it ok to take a single core out of some 1mm/1.5mm2
cable I have laying around as I cant seem to find a single core that's not
red or black, and I have three way cable with a different colour core which
I could use.

Just run the whole cable and only use one of the cores. If you want you
can sleave the wire at each end with a "thrid" colour to indicate it is
not an ordinary mains connection.

(With my ones, I ran power from the CU to the first, and then three core
and earth from there to each of the others. That way you get the power
and the link delivered to each alarm in a single cable.

--
Cheers,

John.

BigWallop

"John Borman" wrote in message
I've read it is ok to run them of the lighting main is this ok or is it

best
to run them from the CU

If you can supply them separately from other appliances, then all the
better, but convenience may dictate a supply from the lighting circuit. If
it's a huge job to run a supply directly back to the consumer unit, then
tapping into a nearby lighting junction box would be OK. But it is better
to run a separate constant, uninterrupted supply to them.

Best practice is to tap off local lighting circuit as if on dedicated
circuit [which AC only
alarms have to be] is a chance that if alarms play up, householder may
switch off that circuit breaker.
If lighting is off they'd pretty soon notice.

Christian McArdle

Hi, I have installed two interlinked fire alarms as part of a renovation
project. However they are not linked at present just have two white

cables,
coming from each one. Is it ok to take a single core out of some

1mm/1.5mm2
cable I have laying around as I cant seem to find a single core that's not
red or black, and I have three way cable with a different colour core

which
I could use.

No. I'd use the entire cable and ignore unused conductors, or relay with 3
core+E. I wouldn't want to run a single cable, except in conduit, as it only
has a single layer of insulation.

Christian.

John Borman

cheers for that what I may consider doing is connecting the upstairs one to
the lighting circuit up there then using 3core +E to connect this one to the
one downstairs gonna have a fun day tomoz.
Also, (I know I will prolly be condemned for asking this, or just told to
get an leccy in) after rewiring the lighting circuit using the loop in
system I am stumped by a two gang two way set up. This is the situation,
downstairs has a 2 gang light switch with one switch operating one down
stairs, and the other one operating two lights upstairs. Ok the wiring isn't
that much of a problem, I have two lots of 3C+E running from the switch down
stairs to the switch upstairs. Downstairs the light switch has the approp
switch cable for the downstairs light. Upstairs its has the two 3C+E cables
plus the switch cable from upstairs (Actually it has two switch cable for
the two upstairs lights as it was originally a 3 Gang switch and I'm
changing it to a 2 Gang one)

Ok so there's all the cables explained, the faceplates have obviously 6
connectors L1, L2 and L3 ??? (Its this third one that I'm a bit confused
about is this what is usually marked COM?)
Am I correct in thinking that for two way op. the linking cable is connected
as follows:
L1=Yellow
L2=Blue
Com/L3=Red
with the circuit cable connected as follows
L2=Switched Red
L1=Red
Thanks for any help
"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
Hi, I have installed two interlinked fire alarms as part of a renovation
project. However they are not linked at present just have two white

cables,
coming from each one. Is it ok to take a single core out of some

1mm/1.5mm2
cable I have laying around as I cant seem to find a single core that's
not
red or black, and I have three way cable with a different colour core

which
I could use.

No. I'd use the entire cable and ignore unused conductors, or relay with 3
core+E. I wouldn't want to run a single cable, except in conduit, as it
only
has a single layer of insulation.

Christian.

John Rumm

John Borman wrote:

Ok so there's all the cables explained, the faceplates have obviously 6
connectors L1, L2 and L3 ??? (Its this third one that I'm a bit confused
about is this what is usually marked COM?)

Probably... but if you took the switch off you could soon test it with a
multimeter (or torch bulb and battery) to make sure. The COM postion
(whichever it is) will be connected to one contact with the switch in
one position, and the other when you throw the switch.

Am I correct in thinking that for two way op. the linking cable is connected
as follows:
L1=Yellow
L2=Blue
Com/L3=Red

Not sure there is actually a standardised way of choosing which colour
gets used where. Personally I use the red for the COM connection. (You
ought to always sleave the others with red since they are all lives).

with the circuit cable connected as follows
L2=Switched Red
L1=Red

Sounds right assuming L3 is COM.

--
Cheers,

John.

Owain

"John Rumm" wrote
| If the alarms are being fitted under requirement of building regs (say
| because they are required as a result of the addition of a third storey
| to the building - i.e. loft conversion), then they must be on their own
| circuit, and they must also have a battery backup
^^^

s/and/or

Very important :-)

Owain

John Rumm

Owain wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote
| If the alarms are being fitted under requirement of building regs (say
| because they are required as a result of the addition of a third storey
| to the building - i.e. loft conversion), then they must be on their own
| circuit, and they must also have a battery backup
^^^

s/and/or

Very important :-)

Well spotted! I over egged the regulations a tad there....

--
Cheers,

John.