Posted to alt.home.repair
Never Enough Money

Default Fire Alarms screaming but no fire?

Last evening every single fire alarm in my hose statred going off.
However there was no fire. The wind had been blowing all day so there
may have been some power interruptions, don't know. I hadn't changed
the batteries in a long time but the they usually start chirping when
the battery is weak. The breaker was NOT thrown.

Now two other potentially realted things. I have really sealed the
house this fall to save energy.

Also, just recently, with the cold weather, we've begun using the gas
fireplace. However, it seems to turn itself off a lot. I have to press
the reset button to get it to turn on again.

My question: what caused the fire alarms to fire? I mention the other
things because they might be related....I don't know.

BTW, I've been in the house 10 years and have never had a problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Never Enough Money wrote:
Last evening every single fire alarm in my hose statred going off.
However there was no fire. The wind had been blowing all day so there
may have been some power interruptions, don't know. I hadn't changed
the batteries in a long time but the they usually start chirping when
the battery is weak. The breaker was NOT thrown.

Now two other potentially realted things. I have really sealed the
house this fall to save energy.

Also, just recently, with the cold weather, we've begun using the gas
fireplace. However, it seems to turn itself off a lot. I have to press
the reset button to get it to turn on again.

My question: what caused the fire alarms to fire? I mention the other
things because they might be related....I don't know.

BTW, I've been in the house 10 years and have never had a problem.

Hi,
Fire alarm? You mean smoke detector of sort? If battery operated, I
wouldn't wait until it chirps. Every year on my birth day I used to
replace them just to be sure. Now in this house all smoke detectors,
CO2 sensors are on AC power. If you sealed house real tight, you may be
lacking fresh air in the house. Any provision for air exchange from now
and then? And using FP, what kind? Maybe related.
Tony
Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark and Kim Smith

Never Enough Money wrote:

Last evening every single fire alarm in my hose statred going off.
However there was no fire. The wind had been blowing all day so there
may have been some power interruptions, don't know. I hadn't changed
the batteries in a long time but the they usually start chirping when
the battery is weak. The breaker was NOT thrown.

Now two other potentially realted things. I have really sealed the
house this fall to save energy.

Also, just recently, with the cold weather, we've begun using the gas
fireplace. However, it seems to turn itself off a lot. I have to press
the reset button to get it to turn on again.

My question: what caused the fire alarms to fire? I mention the other
things because they might be related....I don't know.

BTW, I've been in the house 10 years and have never had a problem.

When was the last time you cleaned them?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank

You better invest in a carbon monoxide detector.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Never Enough Money

Never cleaned them! Seems unlikely thoguh that all of them would get
dirty at the same instant.

Mark and Kim Smith wrote:
Never Enough Money wrote:

Last evening every single fire alarm in my hose statred going off.
However there was no fire. The wind had been blowing all day so there
may have been some power interruptions, don't know. I hadn't changed
the batteries in a long time but the they usually start chirping when
the battery is weak. The breaker was NOT thrown.

Now two other potentially realted things. I have really sealed the
house this fall to save energy.

Also, just recently, with the cold weather, we've begun using the gas
fireplace. However, it seems to turn itself off a lot. I have to press
the reset button to get it to turn on again.

My question: what caused the fire alarms to fire? I mention the other
things because they might be related....I don't know.

BTW, I've been in the house 10 years and have never had a problem.

When was the last time you cleaned them?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich Greenberg

In article .com,
Never Enough Money wrote:
Never cleaned them! Seems unlikely thoguh that all of them would get
dirty at the same instant.

Only takes one dirty one. When one goes off, the interconnections set
the others off also.

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Hines

"Never Enough Money" wrote:

Never cleaned them! Seems unlikely thoguh that all of them would get
dirty at the same instant.

Modern detectors are wired together, so they all go off at once.

This is so the whole house gets woken up, if there is a fire in one part
of it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Never Enough Money wrote:
Last evening every single fire alarm in my hose statred going off.
However there was no fire. The wind had been blowing all day so there
may have been some power interruptions, don't know. I hadn't changed
the batteries in a long time but the they usually start chirping when
the battery is weak. The breaker was NOT thrown.

Now two other potentially realted things. I have really sealed the
house this fall to save energy.

Also, just recently, with the cold weather, we've begun using the gas
fireplace. However, it seems to turn itself off a lot. I have to press
the reset button to get it to turn on again.

My question: what caused the fire alarms to fire? I mention the other
things because they might be related....I don't know.

BTW, I've been in the house 10 years and have never had a problem.

The newer ones connect together and when one goes off they all go off.
Since it happened in the evening in now that it is cold, the most likely
thing is a battery in one of them is getting low. Replace all the batteries
and remember to do this every Christmas from now on.

BTW the advice to get a CO detector is great, if you have a fireplace or
a fuel fired heating system. Likely you don't need that if you heat with
electricity.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 6 Dec 2005 08:02:20 -0800, "Never Enough Money"
wrote:

Last evening every single fire alarm in my hose statred going off.
However there was no fire.

Yes, there was.

The wind had been blowing all day so there
may have been some power interruptions, don't know. I hadn't changed
the batteries in a long time but the they usually start chirping when
the battery is weak. The breaker was NOT thrown.

Do they run on batteries or AC?

Now two other potentially realted things. I have really sealed the
house this fall to save energy.

Also, just recently, with the cold weather, we've begun using the gas
fireplace. However, it seems to turn itself off a lot. I have to press
the reset button to get it to turn on again.

My question: what caused the fire alarms to fire? I mention the other

I don't really know, but neighbors of mine had the smoke alarm going
off when "there was no fire" so they took the 110v detector to be
repaired they said. While they had no detector (they were so stupid)
t he clock in the stove burst into flames and burned out the whole
kitchen, plus smoked the rest of the house.

You have something that's burning, however slowly.

One alarm could be broken but all of yours went off. Oh, are they
wired together. I have 3 and they are all independent. Two battery
and one AC, and one more AC soon to go in when I figure out where.

BTW, you can't have all on AC. You need a battery powered one in case
the electric goes out. Something especially likely during a fire.

things because they might be related....I don't know.

BTW, I've been in the house 10 years and have never had a problem.

My CO detecter went off once and really might have saved my life. I
think at the concentration the CO detector reported, it would have
taken 48 or 72 hours to kill me, but I had plenty of time.. It's in
the bedroom, and I woke up with a headache. Turned off the furnace
and opened the windows but then I got cold and I was still sleepy.
When the headache didn't get worse, I close the window most of the way
and used the electric blanket for warmth. The flue was almost
entirely full of soot.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.