OLE DOC BONER

Default Extra wide door

I need a flush interior door, preferably luan to match the other doors I have
now , that's wide enough to allow a motorcycle to pass through easily. I now
have a 3'0" door between my garage and rec room and it's tough to get through
without gouging the door/doorjamb with a mirror, footpeg, or something. I don't
want to go to double doors if I don't have to . Can I get a 3'4" wide door ?
If so where?
TIA DOC
DL

On 03 Sep 2003 01:12:31 GMT, (OLE DOC BONER)
wrote:

I need a flush interior door, preferably luan to match the other doors I have
now , that's wide enough to allow a motorcycle to pass through easily.

I have nothing of any value to add but I am dying to know if you live
at the Delta House?

- -

DL

http://www.geocities.com/dicklong14_ca/fanclub.htm

Evidently your buddy Cedeño is a *******.

First of all, Cedeño is not my buddy.

::::::::::::::::

"Ahh, job hunt. Had an interview this week and all
I learned is this: Despite its name,
the company "Johnson Controls" does not manufacture condoms."
- Anonymous

::::::::::::::::

Halter Sucks!
PAROADHOG

I need a flush interior door, preferably luan to match the other doors I have
now , that's wide enough to allow a motorcycle to pass through easily. I now
have a 3'0" door between my garage and rec room and it's tough to get through
without gouging the door/doorjamb with a mirror, footpeg, or something. I
don't
want to go to double doors if I don't have to . Can I get a 3'4" wide door ?
If so where?
TIA DOC

I think you're outta luck Doc. My local Lowes says 3'0" is the widest you can
get.

Edwin Pawlowski

"PAROADHOG" wrote in message

I think you're outta luck Doc. My local Lowes says 3'0" is the widest you

can
get.

Lowes is just a pimple on the ass of millwork.

Go to a real lumberyard that does millwork and they will make one for you.
You can also buy 42" doors and they are very common in offices and
commercial applications, medical offices.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Tom Baker

and to the OP.
you need a fire rated door from the main house to the garage.
NOT an interior door.

try Brosco
they make Exterior (fire rated) 42" doors
Plan on spending aprox. $1500-$3000 for one (depending on style)
(those gouges don't look so bad now do they)?

I do not believe that an exterior door is per se fire rated.
A fire rated door must have a fire rated frame and appropriate
hardware.
Here are some comments from a certified fire rated door mfg.
There are some basic requirements for an opening before it can be
classified as fire rated:

The wall, frame, and door all have to be fire rated. This is self
explanatory as it would not make much sense to put a labeled door in a
non rated wall just as you can't put a non labeled door in a rated
wall and call the opening fire rated. The purpose of a fire rated
opening is to retard fire for a specific period of time (see below for
different ratings) so all components of the opening will have to be
rated.

The door must be self closing. If the door is left open during a fire,
then that opening cannot retard the fire as it was meant to do so the
door has to close after somebody passes through it. This is usually
done by a door closer or, in some cases, spring hinges. Both serve the
same purpose in that the door will close and serve it's purpose of
holding back the fire.

The door must be self latching. Push and pull plates cannot be used on
a fire rated door. The door has to latch into the frame when closed so
it stays shut until it is manually opened. This prevents the door
from opening during a fire if something falls against it. This means
that you have to use at least a passage set on the door.

Steel ball bearing hinges must be used. Brass, bronze and other bases
cannot be used. The hinges must have a steel base on fire rated
doors. Plain bearing hinges cannot be used as well. Ball bearing
hinges ensure the door will not come loose from the frame and fall
out of the opening.

As stated above, the purpose of a fire rated opening is to retard fire
for a specific period of time. Most labeled doors will have an A, B,
or C label:

A label: 3 hour rating (for a 4 hour wall). These doors are used for
openings in walls seperating buildings that are joined together. No
glass is allowed in these doors.

B label: 1 1/2 hour rating (for a 2 hour wall). These doors are
usually used for stairwell doors but are sometimes used at all the
rated walls in a building. 100 square inches of exposed glass is
allowed.

C label: 3/4 hour rating (for a 1 hour wall). These doors are used for
openings from a corridor into another room in the same building. 1296
square inches of exposed glass is allowed.

Louvers can be installed on fire rated doors but they have to be
fusible link. This means that once the heat from the fire reaches a
certain temperature (usually 105 degrees), the fusible link will melt
which causes the louver blades to close . This will help prevent the
spread of fire. The maximum size for these louvers is 24 x 24. There
is no glass allowed in a fire rated door if it has a louver and no
louvers at all can be installed in a 3 hour rated door.

Remember to follow the requirements listed above. Codes differ from
area to area but these are the standard.

French door problem Scott Vajdos Woodworking 15 April 24th 04 08:06 AM
Garage Doors George Metalworking 37 February 25th 04 04:45 AM
Supplier of extra tall internal door? Joe Cocker UK diy 3 September 6th 03 03:46 PM
Hangin' a door! [email protected] Home Repair 2 August 18th 03 07:13 AM
Kitchen cupboard door fittings Stuart UK diy 13 July 7th 03 02:34 PM