Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default Fire Alarms screaming but no fire?

Never Enough Money wrote:
Last evening every single fire alarm in my hose statred going off.
However there was no fire. The wind had been blowing all day so there
may have been some power interruptions, don't know. I hadn't changed
the batteries in a long time but the they usually start chirping when
the battery is weak. The breaker was NOT thrown.

Now two other potentially realted things. I have really sealed the
house this fall to save energy.

Also, just recently, with the cold weather, we've begun using the gas
fireplace. However, it seems to turn itself off a lot. I have to press
the reset button to get it to turn on again.

My question: what caused the fire alarms to fire? I mention the other
things because they might be related....I don't know.

BTW, I've been in the house 10 years and have never had a problem.

The newer ones connect together and when one goes off they all go off.
Since it happened in the evening in now that it is cold, the most likely
thing is a battery in one of them is getting low. Replace all the batteries
and remember to do this every Christmas from now on.

BTW the advice to get a CO detector is great, if you have a fireplace or
a fuel fired heating system. Likely you don't need that if you heat with
electricity.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit