Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY fire alarms.

On Wed, 14 Oct 2020 09:21:55 +0100, No Name wrote:

In my case, I have 4 CO alarms, 2 heat detectors and 10 Smoke detectors
all mains powered and interlinked.

16 devices, ouch at say 7 W each 112 W. 980+ kWHr/year or best
part £150/year. 5 W each is still £100/year...

Seems a bit OTT to have a smoke detector in each bedroom unless
you're smokers and smoke in bed... We have boiler room, kitchen, snug
(wood burner), 2 on the landing (split level with a dividing beam).
They are there just to wakes us up and get us out in the event of
fire.

By the time the fire brigade turn up, single pump, retained fire
fighters, it'll be over 10 minutes from the call, house likely to be
"well alight". Only water available is the water the pump carries. No
hydrant within miles, though there is a water main Wash Out a couple
of hundred yards away but I doubt that they have enough suction hose
to reach that. Next nearest pumps will take 30 to 40 minutes to
arrive. Houses literally burn down around here...

--
Cheers
Dave.