Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Trying to connect old printer that does not have 2-wqy communicattion

I would like to connect a Canon BJ-10sx to a Windows 8.1 64bit laptop.
The printer has a parallel input, for which I have a USB to parallel
converter. The converter works fine for another printer which declares
its name.

There is no 64bit driver for the Canon, but I have installed a driver
for another printer which should work with the Canon. But as the Canon
can't send back data to the computer, the computer can't recognise it
to match with the substitute driver, the parallel port LPT1: does not
appear in Control Panel, and "No printer attached" appears under
Universal Serial Bus Controllers when the adapter is plugged in.

Is it therefore impossible to connect this Canon?
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 May 2020 18:27:58 +0100, Dave W
wrote:

I would like to connect a Canon BJ-10sx to a Windows 8.1 64bit laptop.
The printer has a parallel input, for which I have a USB to parallel
converter. The converter works fine for another printer which declares
its name.

There is no 64bit driver for the Canon, but I have installed a driver
for another printer which should work with the Canon. But as the Canon
can't send back data to the computer, the computer can't recognise it
to match with the substitute driver, the parallel port LPT1: does not
appear in Control Panel, and "No printer attached" appears under
Universal Serial Bus Controllers when the adapter is plugged in.

Is it therefore impossible to connect this Canon?

Dunno if this is any help but, disregarding the serial-parallel issue
for the moment, I have a printer that is an absolute sod to connect to
Win 8.1 but when I slip a Linux live boot disk in the machine, Linux
just finds the driver it wants on-line and gets on with it. Worth a
try?

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave W wrote:
I would like to connect a Canon BJ-10sx to a Windows 8.1 64bit laptop.
The printer has a parallel input, for which I have a USB to parallel
converter. The converter works fine for another printer which declares
its name.

There is no 64bit driver for the Canon, but I have installed a driver
for another printer which should work with the Canon. But as the Canon
can't send back data to the computer, the computer can't recognise it
to match with the substitute driver, the parallel port LPT1: does not
appear in Control Panel, and "No printer attached" appears under
Universal Serial Bus Controllers when the adapter is plugged in.

Is it therefore impossible to connect this Canon?

USB to printer connector converters are not
USB to parallel port converters.

The difference is, the USB Class driver only runs the
converter in one mode, suitable for printers. The other
three parallel port modes are not accessible through that
driver.

I have a "real" parallel port, and it's on a PCI Express card,
and I operated a JTAG scanner off it. The driver in that
case supports all four modes. There aer PCI versions of
cards like that too. What I lack, is a sample of the USB
to printer converter (unidirectional driver).

This means that a printer connected to one of those
converters, must be happy to be run unidirectionally.

In Windows, there is an additional ceremony, that involves
a relatively large download, containing old drivers for a
variety of printers. Using that option, you might just find
the correct driver for the job.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-i...ter-windows-10

"Open Settings.
Click on Devices.
Click on Printers & scanners.

Click the "Add a printer or scanner" button.

Wait a few moments.
Click "The printer that I want isn't listed" option.

Select the "My printer is a little older. Help me find it" option.

Select your printer from the list.
Click the Next button.

Type a name for the printer.
Click the Next button.

Select the Do not share this printer option.
Click the Next button.

Click the "Print a test page"

Click the Finish button.
"

I've not tested this, but multiple people have referred
to this method in the past, and they tell me "there is a
large download when the old printers come in", so perhaps
there will be a delay before one of those steps proceeds.

For one old printer, a dot matrix, if you know the name
equivalent, some other dot matrix driver functions as a
"generic" and can make your crusty dot matrix work. There's
really no limit to the ingenuity people put into this stuff.

If you don't put nose to grindstone, there'll be no result.

There are also universal drivers, one created for PostScript,
one created more recently for PCL. Which is another way to
get older devices working. I've used one of those for a
"Print to File" driver, but the results were less than
stellar, as the damn driver used "bitmaps" for the prints.
And that's a sucky way to do it (only good for printing,
no good for document re-purposement).

It's a DIY group - if someone here can't make it work, then
by definition it must be impossible.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2020 08:35, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Yes. I had a similar issue with a scanner and even with the right driver
nothing over windows 2000 could tell me it was even there.
Brian

I hate computers for that kind of reason....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/05/2020 18:27, Dave W wrote:
I would like to connect a Canon BJ-10sx to a Windows 8.1 64bit laptop.
The printer has a parallel input, for which I have a USB to parallel
converter. The converter works fine for another printer which declares
its name.

There is no 64bit driver for the Canon, but I have installed a driver
for another printer which should work with the Canon. But as the Canon
can't send back data to the computer, the computer can't recognise it
to match with the substitute driver, the parallel port LPT1: does not
appear in Control Panel, and "No printer attached" appears under
Universal Serial Bus Controllers when the adapter is plugged in.

Is it therefore impossible to connect this Canon?

Dear fellow Dave W

I keep a few of these and similar devices

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233587784086

you need to create a network port and assign it to the printer

Another Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 20/05/2020 08:35, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Yes. I had a similar issue with a scanner and even with the right driver
nothing over windows 2000 could tell me it was even there.
Brian

I hate computers for that kind of reason....

And they hate you for that kind of reason.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2020 10:11, David Wade wrote:
[...]

or this. Much cheaper

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143608056952

https://www.startech.com/faq/print-s...-windows-8-8.1

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I used a network print server for many years just needed to plug into the network and plug the printers into the printer ports. You still had to download the drivers which could still be a problem. There may be some similar still out there but with most modern printers able to be network printers the need for small print servers is diminishing.

Richard
..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Wed, 20 May 2020 19:16:22 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

And they hate you for that kind of reason.

Everyone, in real life (ask your neighbours) and online, hates YOU for a
reason, senile pest!

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Paul wrote:
USB to printer connector converters are not
USB to parallel port converters.

Sounds like USB to Serial. Some work, some don't (for the use I need).
Seems to depend on the chipset inside them.

--
*Pentium wise, pen and paper foolish *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 20 May 2020 03:47:31 UTC+1, Paul wrote:
Dave W wrote:

I would like to connect a Canon BJ-10sx to a Windows 8.1 64bit laptop.

I'd be surprised if an inkjet that old still works. They don't last well.

For one old printer, a dot matrix, if you know the name
equivalent, some other dot matrix driver functions as a
"generic" and can make your crusty dot matrix work. There's
really no limit to the ingenuity people put into this stuff.

Last time I ran dot matrices, not recently, many had banks of switches that enabled them to present more than one mode of computer interface.

I can't imagine wanting to go back to dm. Currently listening to 1920s technology, but 1980s printers no thanks.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 May 2020 22:47:50 -0400, Paul
wrote:

Dave W wrote:
[...]

Paul, thanks for your input.

My USB converter is sold as a USB to parallel port converter - I have
to plug it into my Centronics cable to feed the printer. I can't find
any unidirectional converters online.

However perhaps my converter is only configured as a printer driver,
as why else would it display "no printer attached" if the port is for
general use? I have a USB to serial converter which shows as a COM:
port when plugged in, but my USB to parallel converter doesn't show as
an LPT: port.

My laptop has no facility for plug-in cards.

I didn't notice the Windows Update for more printers, so thanks for
mentioning it. I've tried it now but my printer isn't on the list.
Neither is the AGFA printer that would be accepted by my Canon.

--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 May 2020 10:18:47 +0100, David Wade
wrote:

[...]

I've just looked at descriptions of print servers. Although I could
indeed drive a printer through the network, my laptop would still
demand to know that the expected printer is online, and if my printer
won't talk then surely the laptop wouldn't either?
--
Dave W
or this. Much cheaper

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143608056952

https://www.startech.com/faq/print-s...-windows-8-8.1

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave W wrote:

Paul, thanks for your input.

My USB converter is sold as a USB to parallel port converter - I have
to plug it into my Centronics cable to feed the printer. I can't find
any unidirectional converters online.

However perhaps my converter is only configured as a printer driver,
as why else would it display "no printer attached" if the port is for
general use? I have a USB to serial converter which shows as a COM:
port when plugged in, but my USB to parallel converter doesn't show as
an LPT: port.

My laptop has no facility for plug-in cards.

I didn't notice the Windows Update for more printers, so thanks for
mentioning it. I've tried it now but my printer isn't on the list.
Neither is the AGFA printer that would be accepted by my Canon.

I tried a few generic searches, and Google was its usual helpful self.

I tried tracing a hardware example, and I got a bit more traction that way.
The Prolific PL2305 is apparently a chip used in these USB cables.

https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapt...5~ICUSB1284D25

"When this cable is installed correctly in Windows 10,
it will appear as USB printer support in the device manager,
not a standard LPT port."

And Windows would use a generic "USB Class" driver. I've been
trying to figure out what the class number is for that,
without success.

Now, I'll grab a manual for theirs. It uses a Prolific PL2305.

https://sgcdn.startech.com/005329/me..._NewManual.pdf

Using the chip number, this manual has a few pictures of
what Device Manager should show. This is a bit more useful
to your situation. There's still a gap though, as to whether
Device Manager knew right away (from a PNP perspective),
what was on the cable.

https://prolificusa.com/app/uploads/...tion-Guide.pdf

USB Root Hub
USB Printing Support
EPSON LQ-300+ /II ESC/P 2

When the EPSON driver is installed, there is an "Enable Bidirectional Support"
on what they call a Virtual Printer Port, but that won't be exposed for you
to tick right away.

I mean, if PNP is to work here, the interface pretty well has to be
flipped to Bidirectional by Windows.

And what I've read on this topic in the past, the claim was
that the driver "only supported one of four operating modes".
I've never seen a more detailed analysis than that, such
as someone checking with an oscilloscope, what modes
or pulse patterns it might be using. I think the reference to
the driver being "only a Printer driver", was to stop people
from trying to run their little hardware projects from that
cable. Not every hardware feature needed is exposed that way.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Dave W wrote:
[...]

Shame: Th threw away my network box with an ethernet and two centronics
ports on it as never going to be used again..

Would have suited you mightily

Google ebay HP JetDirect...there's a few sub £20

--
Any fool can believe in principles - and most of them do!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

The print server would reply that the printer was online

--
"Nature does not give up the winter because people dislike the cold."

ۥ Confucius
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 May 2020 23:10:38 +0100, Dave W wrote:

I've just looked at descriptions of print servers. Although I could
indeed drive a printer through the network, my laptop would still
demand to know that the expected printer is online, and if my printer
won't talk then surely the laptop wouldn't either?

I got a printer to work in a similar situation, through chance.

Printer on a network/LPT hub thing, visible in the network.
Windows 7 refuses to have anything to do with it, no drivers (HP Laserjet 6P!),
can't see the thing, no this will not work, ...

Dug out an old laptop which had drivers for that printer, pointed it at the
network/lpt hub, and set the printer to "shared" via the laptop.

Pointed Win7 at the shared printer on the laptop. Win7 mumbles and downloads the
previously unavailable drivers and proceeds to Just Work.

Remove laptop, point Win7 directly at the network hub, it continues to Just
Work, done.

I did not try to understand why this should work while other methods failed,
simply because printers are the work of Stan.

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 May 2020 22:49:47 -0400, Paul
wrote:

Dave W wrote:

[...]

I searched online this morning for a USB to parallel port adaptor that
doesn't mention printer, but no luck. I also found some blog reply
from 2007 that said there is no such thing as a USB adaptor that shows
as a parallel port when plugged in - all adaptors are for printers and
show up as USB Printer Support in Device Manager.
See https://forum.parallels.com/threads/...t-25-pin.6936/

I came back and saw your posting. Your last link describes exactly
what I'm getting. I had also found the Startech cable, but the UK
distributor no longer sells it. I notice on your first link there are
two reviews. The first says that their HP Laserjet 1100 worked OK. So
does my Laserjet 1200! But if your printer isn't in the Windows list
then it won't work, like the second review.

Perhaps an interface coud be constructed to look like a parallel port
when plugged in. I saw a few interfaces for applications that used the
parallel port for things other than printers.

Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 20 May 2020 23:04:44 UTC+1, Dave W wrote:

I didn't notice the Windows Update for more printers, so thanks for
mentioning it. I've tried it now but my printer isn't on the list.
Neither is the AGFA printer that would be accepted by my Canon.

I've run many printers on any old driver from the same era & type, and when poss same brand.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 May 2020 10:33:02 +0200, Thomas Prufer
wrote:

[...]

I will try your method. But your Laserjet 6P is on my Windows 8.1
printer list - maybe it came when I clicked the update button to get
more printers.
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 21 May 2020 21:20:45 UTC+1, Dave W wrote:
On Thu, 21 May 2020 05:25:06 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:
On Wednesday, 20 May 2020 23:04:44 UTC+1, Dave W wrote:

I didn't notice the Windows Update for more printers, so thanks for
mentioning it. I've tried it now but my printer isn't on the list.
Neither is the AGFA printer that would be accepted by my Canon.

I've run many printers on any old driver from the same era & type, and when poss same brand.

NT

Care to share how?

When I ran windows I stuck with 98, which may make a large difference. Just select model from list when it asks what printer you have. I'm hoping someone knows how to do that in 8.1, perhaps with some little 3rd party app. If there's no way to I don't know if you could run virtual 98 & send the data to that. Very clunky I know. Or you could get all sensible & try linux I can tell this linux machine my printer is anything - solves the great majority of print driver problems.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 May 2020 21:16:54 +0100, Dave W wrote:

I will try your method. But your Laserjet 6P is on my Windows 8.1
printer list - maybe it came when I clicked the update button to get
more printers.

The Laserjet 6P is a bog-standard workhorse, if dated. I don't know why there
was a problem.

(You might try a temporary Linux off a USB stick to see if the problem is in
hardware or software.)

I have a D-Link DP-301P+ print server, which does parallel to LAN, and that
worked. I got it because it was in the box "electronics that someone threw out
and I kept because I thought they might come in handy".

"Ethernet Print Server LPT" finds similar devices.

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 May 2020 10:06:16 +0200, Thomas Prufer wrote:

On Thu, 21 May 2020 21:16:54 +0100, Dave W wrote:

I will try your method. But your Laserjet 6P is on my Windows 8.1
printer list - maybe it came when I clicked the update button to get
more printers.

The Laserjet 6P is a bog-standard workhorse, if dated. I don't know why
there was a problem.

I have a LaserJet 4M+. I had a bit of a struggle for Windows 10, but
found them in the end (actually Windows 8.1 drivers, I think).

A generic PCL or PostScript driver seemd to be acceptable, anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

It works. The printer port in these devices, especially the second, is
simple. I haven't tried a Cannon but heck, they work with my Pen
Plotters and an old LJ3...

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 May 2020 23:39:45 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

Windows 98 is the last operating system that allows direct access to
the pins of hardware ports. At one of my employments I made use of
this to drive test equipment, and they put a big notice on the PC "Not
to be updated" to XP.

I wrote my gps printer program to suit Windows 98, and that's what I
still use at home. On modern windows, even a virtual Win98 machine
can't drive the ports directly - all communication has to go through
the modern Windows host.

I have succeeded in using DOSbox to get the serial input from my gps
via COM2: created by a USB to serial converter. To drive my printer I
need to access LPT1:, but USB to parallel converters don't provide
that port. They just use Windows USB printer facility.

As I implied, only Win98 has my old printer in its list. There are no
drivers for it on modern machines. There are drivers for an old Agfa
printer that would be acceptable to my Canon, but the computer won't
connect it unless my printer replies that it's Agfa. My printer can't
reply anything anyway, as I said in my original posting.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 22 May 2020 22:45:43 UTC+1, Dave W wrote:
On Thu, 21 May 2020 23:39:45 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

I wonder if you know your options but don't want to accept them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave W
writes
[...]

I once ran a serial/parallel converter successfully on a BBC.
Unfortunately I gave it away a long time ago. Could the OP run USB to
serial then serial to Parallel? (Assuming such convertors are still
available).
To drive my printer I
need to access LPT1:, but USB to parallel converters don't provide
that port. They just use Windows USB printer facility.

As I implied, only Win98 has my old printer in its list. There are no
drivers for it on modern machines. There are drivers for an old Agfa
printer that would be acceptable to my Canon, but the computer won't
connect it unless my printer replies that it's Agfa. My printer can't
reply anything anyway, as I said in my original posting.

--
bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 May 2020 01:07:58 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I wonder if you know your options but don't want to accept them.

I have a new option now - construct a USB to parallel port inside a
Centronics plug housing, using an FT245BL chip.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave W wrote:
On Sat, 23 May 2020 01:07:58 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I wonder if you know your options but don't want to accept them.

I have a new option now - construct a USB to parallel port inside a
Centronics plug housing, using an FT245BL chip.

Here is a summary, as to things your adapter could do.
This file is a PDF, and when it arrives, may need ".pdf"
added to the end of the filename.

http://www.prolific.com.tw/ShowProductPDF.aspx?p_id=6

(PL2305 http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowPr...p_id=6&pcid=41 )

"The PL2305 is default to negotiate with the printer into

Nibble mode for upstream data and

Compatible mode for downstream data transfer."

Whatever that means.

Does every printer do it that way ???

Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 May 2020 00:42:14 -0400, Paul
wrote:

Dave W wrote:
On Sat, 23 May 2020 01:07:58 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I wonder if you know your options but don't want to accept them.

I have a new option now - construct a USB to parallel port inside a
Centronics plug housing, using an FT245BL chip.

Here is a summary, as to things your adapter could do.
This file is a PDF, and when it arrives, may need ".pdf"
added to the end of the filename.

http://www.prolific.com.tw/ShowProductPDF.aspx?p_id=6

(PL2305 http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowPr...p_id=6&pcid=41 )

"The PL2305 is default to negotiate with the printer into

Nibble mode for upstream data and

Compatible mode for downstream data transfer."

Whatever that means.

Does every printer do it that way ???

Paul

I don't know what it means either, but the words "USB Printer Class
specification" seem to indicate that the chip is similar to all USB to
printer adapters, which use the Windows USB Printer service but do not
create a port like LPT1.

The printer service demands that the printer declares its name when
interrogated, and if it doesn't respond with a name in Windows' list,
then we get "Printer not connected" as one of the USB devices in
Device Manager.

If I have LPT1; I can send it print data for my printer from my BASIC
programme irrespective of whether it's the right printer.
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Dave W wrote:
[...]

As far as I know, this is mainly a Class driver limitation.

Perhaps the hardware supports more than the intended standard.

But I'm not aware of anyone crafting a different driver for the job.

I was just surprised, that the hardware admits to two modes,
as part of the job. The impression I got in the past, was
that these things use "1 of 4 modes", but the comments
never went into any details as to how that worked. Or for
that matter, whether all printers would work with such dongles.

I have an alternative here, as I have a PCI Express parallel port
card, which drives my JTAG cable (used with an FPGA kit). But
that's no good as a solution for someone with a laptop. ExpressCard
went out of style long ago, and they don't seem to ship laptops
with that any more. For laptops there are fewer options.
(If you have ThunderBolt or USB4, maybe some day you'll be
able to use an "external enclosure" with a parallel port card.
And that would likely mean an Apple computer as your base.)

Paul