Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Trying to connect old printer that does not have 2-wqycommunicattion

On 20/05/2020 23:10, Dave W wrote:
On Wed, 20 May 2020 10:18:47 +0100, David Wade
wrote:

On 20/05/2020 10:11, David Wade wrote:
On 19/05/2020 18:27, Dave W wrote:
I would like to connect a Canon BJ-10sx to a Windows 8.1 64bit laptop.
The printer has a parallel input, for which I have a USB to parallel
converter. The converter works fine for another printer which declares
its name.

There is no 64bit driver for the Canon, but I have installed a driver
for another printer which should work with the Canon. But as the Canon
can't send back data to the computer, the computer can't recognise it
to match with the substitute driver, the parallel port LPT1: does not
appear in Control Panel, and "No printer attached" appears under
Universal Serial Bus Controllers when the adapter is plugged in.

Is it therefore impossible to connect this Canon?

Dear fellow Dave W

I keep a few of these and similar devices

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233587784086

you need to create a network port and assign it to the printer

Another Dave W

I've just looked at descriptions of print servers. Although I could
indeed drive a printer through the network, my laptop would still
demand to know that the expected printer is online, and if my printer
won't talk then surely the laptop wouldn't either?

The print server would reply that the printer was online

--
"Nature does not give up the winter because people dislike the cold."

ۥ Confucius