Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Kitchen fitter does not connect gas hob

I obtained a quote from a local chap who advertises himself as a
'kitchen fitter'. He paid me a visit to look at the work, which was
replacing worktops, sinks, taps, and a gas hob.

This was when he mentioned that he would install the gas hob, but was
not qualified to connect it.

Surely, it is his problem (as a kitchen fitter) to get a GAS SAFE mate
to complete his work - not mine?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2010 2:34 PM, David J wrote:
I obtained a quote from a local chap who advertises himself as a
'kitchen fitter'. He paid me a visit to look at the work, which was
replacing worktops, sinks, taps, and a gas hob.

This was when he mentioned that he would install the gas hob, but was
not qualified to connect it.

Surely, it is his problem (as a kitchen fitter) to get a GAS SAFE mate
to complete his work - not mine?

He could have got somebody else in, and added their bill (plus markup)
to his own. So he's saved you that markup.

Or you might have had somebody in mind that you preferred to use.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David J wrote:
I obtained a quote from a local chap who advertises himself as a
'kitchen fitter'. He paid me a visit to look at the work, which was
replacing worktops, sinks, taps, and a gas hob.

This was when he mentioned that he would install the gas hob, but was
not qualified to connect it.

Surely, it is his problem (as a kitchen fitter) to get a GAS SAFE mate
to complete his work - not mine?

At least he has been honest & straight with you. I'd do the same, but
either suggest a mate or sub contract it to one. I happen to have a mate
who is GasSafe, maybe he doesn't?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David J" wrote in message
I obtained a quote from a local chap who advertises himself as a
'kitchen fitter'. He paid me a visit to look at the work, which was
replacing worktops, sinks, taps, and a gas hob.

This was when he mentioned that he would install the gas hob, but was
not qualified to connect it.

Surely, it is his problem (as a kitchen fitter) to get a GAS SAFE mate
to complete his work - not mine?

That is totally for you and he to agree, but quite right for him not to be
doing it himself.

Only a foolish tradesman will bring in a mate and pay him without
significantly loading the price because he takes on all the liability for
that work. Not necessarily anything to do with insurance, just the agro and
admin if anything is wrong, parts don't arrive, gas fitter has accident and
can't turn up, whatever unpredictable mishap occurs, you don't want to be
dealing with it for no money.

If you want to pay for the service then I am sure he can ring a plumber for
you. If you would rather ring a plumber yourself then it sounds like he is
happy with that too. Don't see a problem really.

Tim W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2010 14:34, David J wrote:
I obtained a quote from a local chap who advertises himself as a
'kitchen fitter'. He paid me a visit to look at the work, which was
replacing worktops, sinks, taps, and a gas hob.

This was when he mentioned that he would install the gas hob, but was
not qualified to connect it.

Surely, it is his problem (as a kitchen fitter) to get a GAS SAFE mate
to complete his work - not mine?

David

Seems perfectly reasonable to me. I'd rather get my own gas fitter so
that it's a separate transaction. My neighbour had MFI install a kitchen
and gas cooker, and she had to fight tooth and nail to get the CORGI
paperwork

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David J" wrote in message
I obtained a quote from a local chap who advertises himself as a
'kitchen fitter'. He paid me a visit to look at the work, which was
replacing worktops, sinks, taps, and a gas hob.

This was when he mentioned that he would install the gas hob, but was
not qualified to connect it.

Surely, it is his problem (as a kitchen fitter) to get a GAS SAFE mate
to complete his work - not mine?

Full marks to him for being up front about it. You have the choice of
getting him to do the work or not. Someone else who may be qualified, or
employs a qualified person to do the work, if likely to be more expensive.
You pay your money and make your choice.

Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 3, 2:34*pm, David J wrote:
I obtained a quote from a local chap who advertises himself as a
'kitchen fitter'. *He paid me a visit to look at the work, which was
replacing worktops, sinks, taps, and a gas hob.

This was when he mentioned that he would install the gas hob, but was
not qualified to connect it. *

Surely, it is his problem (as a kitchen fitter) to get a GAS SAFE mate
to complete his work - not mine?

David

Kitchen fitters are basically joiners, not registered gas installers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 11:37:43 -0800 (PST), cynic
wrote:

On Dec 3, 2:34*pm, David J wrote:
I obtained a quote from a local chap who advertises himself as a
'kitchen fitter'. *He paid me a visit to look at the work, which was
replacing worktops, sinks, taps, and a gas hob.

This was when he mentioned that he would install the gas hob, but was
not qualified to connect it. *

Surely, it is his problem (as a kitchen fitter) to get a GAS SAFE mate
to complete his work - not mine?

David

Kitchen fitters are basically joiners, not registered gas installers.

My point precisely.

But how can he advertise himself as a 'kitchen fitter' - if he is
unable to complete the job! Most kitchens have gas appliances.

It's a bit like a plumber changing a central heating pump, but
refusing to connect it to the supply, as he is not an electrician.
(However, I do realise the 'legal' situation with gas)

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Dec 3, 2:34 pm, David J wrote:
I obtained a quote from a local chap who advertises himself as a
'kitchen fitter'. He paid me a visit to look at the work, which was
replacing worktops, sinks, taps, and a gas hob.

This was when he mentioned that he would install the gas hob, but was
not qualified to connect it.

Surely, it is his problem (as a kitchen fitter) to get a GAS SAFE mate
to complete his work - not mine?

Kitchen fitters are basically joiners, not registered gas installers.

My point precisely.

But how can he advertise himself as a 'kitchen fitter' - if he is
unable to complete the job! Most kitchens have gas appliances.

I advertise myself as a kitchen fitter. I dont do gas work though. I do
arrange to get someone in, but it can be difficult to get someone to do
such a small job, especially at this time of year when all the gas men
are busy.

It's a bit like a plumber changing a central heating pump, but
refusing to connect it to the supply, as he is not an electrician.

That happens. My mate is a gas fitter/boiler installer. He will not
connect anything, as he has to supply the relevant certificates for
building regulations, and it is clear in some houses that a new spur is
required for the boiler, so, although he could do it himself, he cannot
comply with the building regs without being able to certify the
electrical work, hence the boiler cannot be notified, as it does not
meet the requirements.

Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David J" wrote in message
On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 11:37:43 -0800 (PST), cynic

But how can he advertise himself as a 'kitchen fitter' - if he is
unable to complete the job! Most kitchens have gas appliances.

It's a bit like a plumber changing a central heating pump, but
refusing to connect it to the supply, as he is not an electrician.
(However, I do realise the 'legal' situation with gas)

I think it is simply to do with costs. It takes time and money to get the
right certificates for these things and it just isn't worth it if you are
then going to spend your time fixing cabinets to the walls.

Tim W

How do I find a kitchen worktop fitter? goodolpete UK diy 9 March 31st 10 12:58 PM
becoming a self employed kitchen fitter [email protected] UK diy 5 January 13th 06 12:17 PM
Kitchen Provider/Fitter [D@n] UK diy 9 June 10th 05 06:05 PM
Kitchen Fitter Standards Tim Foley UK diy 2 July 17th 03 09:48 PM