Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Trying to connect old printer that does not have 2-wqy communicattion

Depends very much on the driver design.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
I have had mixed success with usb to // converters.

At a school I worked at I bought one and it worked a treat.

So my boss bought 20. But she bought another (cheaper) brand that didn't.

Many years later a friend ha a LJ III with a // port and upgraded to a
laptop with no //.

I tried the printer with a usb to // on my desktop and it worked a treat.

Took it to hers (same flavour of Windows). And it wouldn't play.

Fortunately we had some HP network ports in the "never going to use that
again" box at work, so I slipped one of them in the printer and put a
crossover between it and the laptop.

Hmm..... there is a thought. You could get a second hand parallel print
server for next to nothing if eBay I would think and see if that works.