Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default No ADSL but LL phone OK after surge

We had a spike yesterday when a submersible pump tripped the main circuit (RCD) in the consumer unit.

Every thing came back up OK when reset ( including the LL phone) except the internet connection.
I have tried the following:-

1. Swapped out the ADSL router with a spare.
2. Swapped out the cable from BT wall socket to router with a spare
3. Swapped out the face plate (with integral filter) to the BT socket with a spare.
4. Tested set up with two different PC's and 2 laptops.

Any suggestions?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2020 10:43, Bazza wrote:
We had a spike yesterday when a submersible pump tripped the main circuit (RCD) in the consumer unit.

Every thing came back up OK when reset ( including the LL phone) except the internet connection.
I have tried the following:-

1. Swapped out the ADSL router with a spare.
2. Swapped out the cable from BT wall socket to router with a spare
3. Swapped out the face plate (with integral filter) to the BT socket with a spare.
4. Tested set up with two different PC's and 2 laptops.

Any suggestions?

May well have effectively done this but disconnect router/modem from BT
socket for 30 mins or more and then retry. This apparently forces some
sort of reset at the exchange end .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bazza" wrote in message
We had a spike yesterday when a submersible pump tripped the main circuit
(RCD) in the consumer unit.

Every thing came back up OK when reset ( including the LL phone) except
the internet connection.
I have tried the following:-

1. Swapped out the ADSL router with a spare.
2. Swapped out the cable from BT wall socket to router with a spare
3. Swapped out the face plate (with integral filter) to the BT socket with
a spare.
4. Tested set up with two different PC's and 2 laptops.

Any suggestions?

So what happens lights wise on the router ? Do you get both the adsl and
internet lights up ?

If you dont get the internet light up, likely the isp has locked your
service out.

If the adsl light doesnt come up likely something broke behind the BT
socket
but thats very unlikely given that the LL still works. Usually if anything
the LL
doesnt work because there is no dc path anymore but adsl still works
because
it doesnt need a dc path. Its theoretically possible you could have killed
the
dslam port back in the exchange, but very unlikely.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 20:01 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for almost EIGHTEEN HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Sat, 16 May 2020 20:01:32 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

20:01??? So how many hours per day do you actually sleep? Between some 1 and
4 hours, you pathetic excuse for a troll?

--
Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2020 10:43, Bazza wrote:
We had a spike yesterday when a submersible pump tripped the main circuit (RCD) in the consumer unit.

Every thing came back up OK when reset ( including the LL phone) except the internet connection.
I have tried the following:-

1. Swapped out the ADSL router with a spare.

Can you actually 'web into' the router management interface and see what
it is saying?

The first thing is to get a PC talking to the router with as little in
between as possible - a straight ethernet cable is best.

Then see what the router is saying.

I've had spikes blow routers partially and router PSUs, both.

--
How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.

Adolf Hitler

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 16 May 2020 10:58:07 UTC+1, Robert wrote:
On 16/05/2020 10:43, Bazza wrote:
We had a spike yesterday when a submersible pump tripped the main circuit (RCD) in the consumer unit.

Every thing came back up OK when reset ( including the LL phone) except the internet connection.
I have tried the following:-

1. Swapped out the ADSL router with a spare.
2. Swapped out the cable from BT wall socket to router with a spare
3. Swapped out the face plate (with integral filter) to the BT socket with a spare.
4. Tested set up with two different PC's and 2 laptops.

Any suggestions?

May well have effectively done this but disconnect router/modem from BT
socket for 30 mins or more and then retry. This apparently forces some
sort of reset at the exchange end .

Have just unplugged it an will wait and see.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 16 May 2020 11:57:19 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 16/05/2020 10:43, Bazza wrote:
We had a spike yesterday when a submersible pump tripped the main circuit (RCD) in the consumer unit.

Every thing came back up OK when reset ( including the LL phone) except the internet connection.
I have tried the following:-

1. Swapped out the ADSL router with a spare.

Can you actually 'web into' the router management interface and see what
it is saying?

The first thing is to get a PC talking to the router with as little in
between as possible - a straight ethernet cable is best.

Then see what the router is saying.

I've had spikes blow routers partially and router PSUs, both.

--
How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.

Adolf Hitler

Yes, I can get into the router interface using a standard patch cord and putting 192.168.0.1 into the browser . All appears to be in order.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 16 May 2020 11:01:46 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"Bazza" wrote in message

[...]

A) The DSL light is showing steady green.
b) The 2 WLAn lights are doing a steady regular flashing as per normal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Call your ISP they should be able to ping your router/modem. If they can that will eliminate that side of things. Is this affecting the direct connection or just WiFi?

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2020 12:55, Bazza wrote:

Yes, I can get into the router interface using a standard patch cord and putting 192.168.0.1 into the browser . All appears to be in order.

Can you get onto the Internet with the wired connection to the router?
I recent had a problem where my router appeared to connect to my laptop
via wi-fi but I couldn't get to the router web page nor the Net via
wi-fi. No problems with a wired Ethernet connection between my laptop
and the router. The problem was with the laptop and Win10. In Win10 I
went to wi-fi connection, selected the Network and Internet settings
option and then selected the troubleshoot network option, A reboot later
and everything was working again

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bazza laid this down on his screen :
Yes, I can get into the router interface using a standard patch cord and
putting 192.168.0.1 into the browser . All appears to be in order.

The router pages should be able to tell you whether it is connected, or
not, to the broadband and the connection speed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2020 10:43, Bazza wrote:
We had a spike yesterday when a submersible pump tripped the main
circuit (RCD) in the consumer unit.

Every thing came back up OK when reset ( including the LL phone)
except the internet connection.
I have tried the following:-

1. Swapped out the ADSL router with a spare.

Can you actually 'web into' the router management interface and see what
it is saying?

Ethernet port failure in either the router or the PC is a possibility
too. Wifi tends not to be so affected. I had one go bad once that would
only work at it lowest 10M link speed after a storm direct hit.

The first thing is to get a PC talking to the router with as little in
between as possible - a straight ethernet cable is best.

Then see what the router is saying.

I've had spikes blow routers partially and router PSUs, both.

I've only really had that happen with a very nearby lightning strike and
only then once out of perhaps a dozen such local surge incidents. Used
to kill filament bulbs with monotonous regularity.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The first thing is to get a PC talking to the router with as little
in between as possible - a straight ethernet cable is best.

Then see what the router is saying.

I've had spikes blow routers partially and router PSUs, both.

Yes, I can get into the router interface using a standard patch cord
and putting 192.168.0.1 into the browser . All appears to be in
order.

But is it connecting to the internet?

--
€śThose who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit
atrocities.€ť

€• Voltaire, Questions sur les Miracles Ă* M. Claparede, Professeur de
ThĂ©ologie Ă* Genève, par un Proposant: Ou Extrait de Diverses Lettres de
M. de Voltaire
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 May 2020 04:55:22 -0700, Bazza wrote:

[...]

When you say that all appears to be in order, have you tested from the
router?

Most management web pages have some simple diagnostics such as Ping tests.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2020 18:29, David wrote:
[...]

At the very least, is it showing 'SHOWTIME' on DSL stats page

But of course he hasn't bothered to tell us what router it actually is

Cheers

Dave R

--
"Nature does not give up the winter because people dislike the cold."

ۥ Confucius

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bazza wrote:
We had a spike yesterday when a submersible pump tripped the main circuit
(RCD) in the consumer unit.

Every thing came back up OK when reset ( including the LL phone) except
the internet connection.
I have tried the following:-

1. Swapped out the ADSL router with a spare.
2. Swapped out the cable from BT wall socket to router with a spare
3. Swapped out the face plate (with integral filter) to the BT socket with a spare.
4. Tested set up with two different PC's and 2 laptops.

Any suggestions?

Youve not tried router into direct connection behind faceplate. All ISPs
will insist on this test.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2020 14:45, alan_m wrote:
On 16/05/2020 12:55, Bazza wrote:

Yes, I can get into the router interface using a standard patch cord
and putting 192.168.0.1 into the browser . All appears to be in order.

Can you get onto the Internet with the wired connection to the router? I
recent had a problem where my router appeared to connect to my laptop
via wi-fi but I couldn't get to the router web page nor the Net via
wi-fi. No problems with a wired Ethernet connection between my laptop
and the router. The problem was with the laptop and Win10. In Win10 I
went to wi-fi connection, selected the Network and Internet settings
option and then selected the troubleshoot network option, A reboot later
and everything was working again

I had something very similar with a Macbook Pro the other day. It
cleared after rebooting both the router and the Macbook a couple of
times. (Everything else was connecting fine to the WiFi).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2020 10:43, Bazza wrote:
We had a spike yesterday when a submersible pump tripped the main circuit
(RCD) in the consumer unit.

Every thing came back up OK when reset ( including the LL phone) except
the internet connection.
I have tried the following:-

1. Swapped out the ADSL router with a spare.

Can you actually 'web into' the router management interface and see what
it is saying?

The first thing is to get a PC talking to the router with as little in
between as possible - a straight ethernet cable is best.

Then see what the router is saying.

I've had spikes blow routers partially and router PSUs, both.

But the spare router should fix that.

--
How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.

Adolf Hitler

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bazza" wrote in message

[...]

That's just devices trying to use the net, not necessarily succeeding.

What about the internet light ? It shows that the router
has logged on with the isp. You should also be able to
see that when you use the router web interface as you
have said you can do that fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 16/05/2020 10:43, Bazza wrote:
We had a spike yesterday when a submersible pump tripped the main
circuit (RCD) in the consumer unit.

Every thing came back up OK when reset ( including the LL phone) except
the internet connection.
I have tried the following:-

1. Swapped out the ADSL router with a spare.

Can you actually 'web into' the router management interface and see what
it is saying?

Ethernet port failure in either the router or the PC is a possibility too.

But eliminated by the router swap and using ore than one PC.
Tho it looks like he may not actually be using a wired ethernet
given that it is the one thing he didnt try swapping and you
would have expected that he would have done that too.

Wifi tends not to be so affected. I had one go bad once that would only
work at it lowest 10M link speed after a storm direct hit.

The first thing is to get a PC talking to the router with as little in
between as possible - a straight ethernet cable is best.

Then see what the router is saying.

I've had spikes blow routers partially and router PSUs, both.

I've only really had that happen with a very nearby lightning strike and
only then once out of perhaps a dozen such local surge incidents. Used to
kill filament bulbs with monotonous regularity.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sun, 17 May 2020 04:46:11 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

John addressing the senile Australian pest:
"You are a complete idiot. But you make me larf. LOL"
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 May 2020 05:17:30 +1000, Jake56, better known as cantankerous

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 May 2020 04:38:17 +1000, Jake56, better known as cantankerous

"That˘s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2020 10:43, Bazza wrote:
We had a spike yesterday when a submersible pump tripped the main circuit (RCD) in the consumer unit.

Every thing came back up OK when reset ( including the LL phone) except the internet connection.
I have tried the following:-

1. Swapped out the ADSL router with a spare.
2. Swapped out the cable from BT wall socket to router with a spare
3. Swapped out the face plate (with integral filter) to the BT socket with a spare.
4. Tested set up with two different PC's and 2 laptops.

Any suggestions?

Get your ISP to run an automated test (you may even be able to do it
yourself from their web site). It might be you have a BB fault, and the
timing was just co-incidental with your mains trip.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking Jake56 wrote :
But the spare router should fix that.

Only if it has been configured properly, easy to get wrong under
pressure.

My spare and spare PSU sits alongside my in use router, already
configured identically to the first and tested, with the same wifi
settings.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bazza" wrote in message

[...]

You need several layers of connection from the router to get functional
broadband service.

First you need DSL sync, which it sounds like you have. The router will
report uplink and downlink speeds, line attenuation, and error rates etc.

Next you need a working PPPoA connection to the ISP - so basically
logged into your account with the correct username and password. Once
that is right you should have an IP address and access to a default
gateway. The router should be able to confirm all that.

Next you need working routing. So from a command line on your computer
you should be able to ping the ISPs default gateway, or something on the
wider internet. For example "ping 8.8.8.8" will check you can get a
response from Google's DNS servers.

Lastly you need working name resolution. So for example if the above
ping works, but ping www.google.com does not, then that suggests is
actually the name lookups that are not working.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 16 May 2020 20:53:27 UTC+1, wrote:
But the spare router should fix that.

Only if it has been configured properly, easy to get wrong under
pressure.

Especially when you can't look up the settings required on the ISP's website without the internet ;-(

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Saturday, 16 May 2020 20:53:27 UTC+1, wrote:
But the spare router should fix that.

Only if it has been configured properly, easy to get wrong under
pressure.

Especially when you can't look up the settings required on the ISP's
website without the internet ;-(

I have never had to look them up with any router and
can look them up using my mobile if I ever need to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Can you see the routers internal page? If so then have a look at the stats
and see if there is anything odd.

Were any of your machines not on when the trip occurred?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Bazza" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes and one has to wonder if he had powerline adaptors to feed things rather
than straight wifi, Luckily these horrible devices are kiiled relatively
easily, as they are the scourge of the ham radio world.
Brian

--
----- --
[...]

? Confucius

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 May 2020 08:28:29 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

John addressing the senile Australian pest:
"You are a complete idiot. But you make me larf. LOL"
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 16 May 2020 10:43:39 UTC+1, Bazza wrote:
We had a spike yesterday when a submersible pump tripped the main circuit (RCD) in the consumer unit.

Every thing came back up OK when reset ( including the LL phone) except the internet connection.
I have tried the following:-

1. Swapped out the ADSL router with a spare.
2. Swapped out the cable from BT wall socket to router with a spare
3. Swapped out the face plate (with integral filter) to the BT socket with a spare.
4. Tested set up with two different PC's and 2 laptops.

Any suggestions?

Spent a lot of time on it and it looks like the spike affected the 24 port switch so that anything going in and coming out of the switch was garbled. I have a new one coming tomorrow so keeping fingers crossed.
Thanks for all your help.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/05/2020 11:05, Bazza wrote:
On Saturday, 16 May 2020 10:43:39 UTC+1, Bazza wrote:
We had a spike yesterday when a submersible pump tripped the main circuit (RCD) in the consumer unit.

Every thing came back up OK when reset ( including the LL phone) except the internet connection.
I have tried the following:-

1. Swapped out the ADSL router with a spare.
2. Swapped out the cable from BT wall socket to router with a spare
3. Swapped out the face plate (with integral filter) to the BT socket with a spare.
4. Tested set up with two different PC's and 2 laptops.

Any suggestions?

Spent a lot of time on it and it looks like the spike affected the 24 port switch so that anything going in and coming out of the switch was garbled. I have a new one coming tomorrow so keeping fingers crossed.
Thanks for all your help.

Ach! that is bad news. But switches are relatively cheap.

I take it that Stuff Worked going direct to the router then?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bazza wrote:
On Saturday, 16 May 2020 10:43:39 UTC+1, Bazza wrote:
We had a spike yesterday when a submersible pump tripped the main
circuit (RCD) in the consumer unit.

Every thing came back up OK when reset ( including the LL phone) except
the internet connection.
I have tried the following:-

1. Swapped out the ADSL router with a spare.
2. Swapped out the cable from BT wall socket to router with a spare
3. Swapped out the face plate (with integral filter) to the BT socket with a spare.
4. Tested set up with two different PC's and 2 laptops.

Any suggestions?

Spent a lot of time on it and it looks like the spike affected the 24
port switch so that anything going in and coming out of the switch was
garbled. I have a new one coming tomorrow so keeping fingers crossed.
Thanks for all your help.

So the one component you didnt even mention....

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls