Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jake56 Jake56 is offline

Default No ADSL but LL phone OK after surge

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 16/05/2020 10:43, Bazza wrote:
We had a spike yesterday when a submersible pump tripped the main
circuit (RCD) in the consumer unit.

Every thing came back up OK when reset ( including the LL phone) except
the internet connection.
I have tried the following:-

1. Swapped out the ADSL router with a spare.

Can you actually 'web into' the router management interface and see what
it is saying?

Ethernet port failure in either the router or the PC is a possibility too.

But eliminated by the router swap and using ore than one PC.
Tho it looks like he may not actually be using a wired ethernet
given that it is the one thing he didnt try swapping and you
would have expected that he would have done that too.

Wifi tends not to be so affected. I had one go bad once that would only
work at it lowest 10M link speed after a storm direct hit.

The first thing is to get a PC talking to the router with as little in
between as possible - a straight ethernet cable is best.

Then see what the router is saying.

I've had spikes blow routers partially and router PSUs, both.

I've only really had that happen with a very nearby lightning strike and
only then once out of perhaps a dozen such local surge incidents. Used to
kill filament bulbs with monotonous regularity.