Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dumb ADSL/phone line question

Parents have crap ADSL. We reckon it's a combination of the wiring and the
phones, based on testing by removing bits.

The dumb question is, will an ADSL faceplate replacement help here? Having
the entire extension circuit on the other side of the filter seems
appropriate to me, and means they don't have to faff around with filters any
more either.

(if it were my house, I'd be checking the wiring/connectors out for
problems/considering replacing it - but for now that's not really an
option - so would the faceplate help if the wiring is a bit nasty?)

Any suggestions for models/vendors?

Oh - the router is physically very close to the BT master socket.

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Clive George wrote:
Parents have crap ADSL. We reckon it's a combination of the wiring and the
phones, based on testing by removing bits.

The dumb question is, will an ADSL faceplate replacement help here? Having
the entire extension circuit on the other side of the filter seems
appropriate to me, and means they don't have to faff around with filters any
more either.

(if it were my house, I'd be checking the wiring/connectors out for
problems/considering replacing it - but for now that's not really an
option - so would the faceplate help if the wiring is a bit nasty?)

Any suggestions for models/vendors?

Oh - the router is physically very close to the BT master socket.

The 2nd one one this page is probably what you're after:
(if you've got a relatively new NTE5 type master socket)

http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm

But eliminate all the internal wiring by getting a decent DECT base
station, putting it into the master socket (after filter) and upgrading
all the internal phones to use DECT. I've done this in one house with
good results.

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive George wrote:
Parents have crap ADSL. We reckon it's a combination of the wiring and
the phones, based on testing by removing bits.

The dumb question is, will an ADSL faceplate replacement help here?
Having the entire extension circuit on the other side of the filter
seems appropriate to me, and means they don't have to faff around with
filters any more either.

(if it were my house, I'd be checking the wiring/connectors out for
problems/considering replacing it - but for now that's not really an
option - so would the faceplate help if the wiring is a bit nasty?)

Any suggestions for models/vendors?

Oh - the router is physically very close to the BT master socket.

cheers,
clive

Its certainly worth a try. No phone wiring at all should be on the far
(exchange) side of the microfilter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message t...
Parents have crap ADSL. We reckon it's a combination of the wiring and
the
phones, based on testing by removing bits.

Plug the router directly into the test socket behind the faceplate,
and see if it magically becomes useful again - if it does, there's
definitely a problem on the internal wiring.

Exactly what we did - hence 'testing by removing bits'. We then went a bit
further, by trying the extension lines without any phones plugged in, hence
the comment about it being a combination of the wiring and the phones.

I discovered I had two master sockets set up in ours (one was
essentially bypassed, it was just sat on the circuit as an extension),
but it was enough to pull my connection speed down from 6Mbit to
3Mbit.

Would an ADSL faceplace help in that instance?

(remembering we're not necessarily in a position where such things can be
identified - I can remote control their computer, but not their eyes :-) )

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive George, in article ,
says...

I discovered I had two master sockets set up in ours (one was
essentially bypassed, it was just sat on the circuit as an extension),
but it was enough to pull my connection speed down from 6Mbit to
3Mbit.

Would an ADSL faceplace help in that instance?

If the two master sockets are in wired correctly as a master
and a slave, then yes - but it's possible two faceplate
filters may be needed if they are simply wired in parallel on
the incoming BT wires.

I've seen this where a system, having two phone lines was
"converted" back to a single line. The customer probably
wanted both sockets live so someone simply connected the two
masters onto the one incoming line rather than correctly wire
one as a slave off the one master or replace one with a slave
socket. If you have this arrangement, then both masters are a
combined "point of demarcation" so you need two faceplate
filters - or pay for the regularisation of the circuit.

You can't mistake a modern master with its divided faceplate
and the visible screws that only remove the lower half. With
these, simply replace the lower faceplate with a filtered
version from e.g. ADSLnation, and reinstall the house wiring
onto the correct terminals on the back of the filter or use
the front telephone socket.

If it's an old installation, then the master and slave sockets
could be externally identical with both having the old BT or
even a GPO logo. You can only determine which is the master
by examining the internals for the extra ring circuit
components which includes a largish capacitor. If you have
these, then you cannot fit a faceplate filter unless the
master is also converted to the new type - which you aren't
supposed to do, unless...

--
JohnW.
Replace the obvious with co.uk in 2 places to mail me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 19:20:44 -0000 someone who may be "Clive George"
wrote this:-

Parents have crap ADSL. We reckon it's a combination of the wiring and the
phones, based on testing by removing bits.

The dumb question is, will an ADSL faceplate replacement help here? Having
the entire extension circuit on the other side of the filter seems
appropriate to me, and means they don't have to faff around with filters any
more either.

You first need to identify the wiring layout. Is there one master
socket from which all extension wiring comes? If there is, are the
wires from the extensions connected to the correct place in the
master socket? Or is the cable split outside the house and there are
two what look like master sockets?

If there is one master socket wired up properly then replace the
bottom bit of the faceplate with something like
http://www.clarity.it/xcart/home.php?cat=262 and wire the extensions
from the back. This should improve ADSL, though nothing is
guaranteed.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

[...]

That was indeed my idea. One of the "removing bits" stages was removing the
faceplate and using the direct connection underneath, which is how I came to
the conclusion that the wiring was squiffy on the extension side (which
appears to be correctly wired to the faceplate - it's a relatively recent
install by BT).

Thanks to all for answers - it seems like I'm on the right track.

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gordon Henderson wrote:

But eliminate all the internal wiring by getting a decent DECT base
station, putting it into the master socket (after filter) and upgrading
all the internal phones to use DECT. I've done this in one house with
good results.

Gordon

Hmmm, just food for thought - BT once required that the "main" phone was
a conventional corded phone, presumably because of the "uncertainty" or
unreliability of cordless.

Is this still the case? (that requirement to have a corded phone) or has
that passed with time?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-01-15 20:01:36 +0000, Mike Dodd said:

Gordon Henderson wrote:

But eliminate all the internal wiring by getting a decent DECT base
station, putting it into the master socket (after filter) and upgrading
all the internal phones to use DECT. I've done this in one house with
good results.

Gordon

Hmmm, just food for thought - BT once required that the "main" phone
was a conventional corded phone, presumably because of the
"uncertainty" or unreliability of cordless.

Is this still the case? (that requirement to have a corded phone) or
has that passed with time?

You can do what you like.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Dodd wrote:
Gordon Henderson wrote:

But eliminate all the internal wiring by getting a decent DECT base
station, putting it into the master socket (after filter) and upgrading
all the internal phones to use DECT. I've done this in one house with
good results.

Gordon

Hmmm, just food for thought - BT once required that the "main" phone was
a conventional corded phone, presumably because of the "uncertainty" or
unreliability of cordless.

Is this still the case? (that requirement to have a corded phone) or has
that passed with time?

It dois have the virtue that it can still call 999 in a power cut.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mike Dodd
wrote
Gordon Henderson wrote:

But eliminate all the internal wiring by getting a decent DECT base
station, putting it into the master socket (after filter) and upgrading
all the internal phones to use DECT. I've done this in one house with
good results.
Gordon

Hmmm, just food for thought - BT once required that the "main" phone
was a conventional corded phone, presumably because of the
"uncertainty" or unreliability of cordless.

Is this still the case? (that requirement to have a corded phone) or
has that passed with time?

DECT wireless phones are useless in a power cut as the base stations
require mains power. It used to be recommended that a wired phone is
kept for emergencies. It was not a BT requirement and probably not now
so important if you have a mobile phone as well.
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 20:01:36 +0000, Mike Dodd wrote:

Hmmm, just food for thought - BT once required that the "main" phone was
a conventional corded phone, presumably because of the "uncertainty" or
unreliability of cordless.

Is this still the case? (that requirement to have a corded phone) or has
that passed with time?

I think it has changed from "thou shalt have a corded phone" to having a
warning on the packing of phones that are not line powered and thus are
not suitable for making emergency calls under certain conditions. I expect
there is a standard wording for this.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 21:29:31 +0000, Alan wrote:

DECT wireless phones are useless in a power cut as the base stations
require mains power. It used to be recommended that a wired phone is
kept for emergencies. It was not a BT requirement and probably not now
so important if you have a mobile phone as well.

cough Unless the power cut also affects the local mobile phone base
station(s). An awful lot of people round here found that out the hard way
in the last major power cut...

Curiously all four networks behaved differently, one went the instant the
power went, another a few minutes latter, a couple lasted a few hours. On
power restore a couple came back straight away, another within an hour or
so, the last took the best part 24hrs to return. There was no correlation
between the order of dieing and order of returning.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Phone Line Don G Home Repair 3 October 5th 07 03:17 PM
More ADSL/Phone Wiring Qs TheScullster UK diy 62 January 24th 07 02:13 PM
ADSL works but phone dead - mechanism? Grunff UK diy 56 December 24th 04 12:16 PM
shorted out phone line re barry martin Home Repair 1 June 17th 04 02:50 PM
Help On Fax/Phone Line Nick Home Repair 5 August 26th 03 12:39 AM