Nick

Default Help On Fax/Phone Line

Hi and excuse me if this is not kosher to this category but I had no
where to turn too. I want to connect an all in on fax/copy/printer and
modem to same phone line. SO would I run a line to modem first then
out to printer with the line in.

Or would I split ther line with a 2 line inline splitter and one for
modem on pc and the other to the printer for it to answer fax. How
would the fax know to answer vs. the phone ringing then from the wall.
Hope somebody can shed some light on me for this. Nick
Edwin Pawlowski

"Nick" wrote in message
Or would I split ther line with a 2 line inline splitter and one for
modem on pc and the other to the printer for it to answer fax. How
would the fax know to answer vs. the phone ringing then from the wall.
Hope somebody can shed some light on me for this. Nick

This can be done a few different ways and still will work the same way.

My method is to have a multi line plug adapter at the phone jack. Each unit
is plugged in by itself.

Each unit receives the same ring in pulse at the same time. You set the
fax to pick up after say, 4 or 5 rings. That gives you time to answer the
phone before the fax picks up. If you have an answering machine, it will
know to ignore a fax tone.

Read the instructions for each and it will give you the best setting for
different circumstances.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Ed

Greg O

"Nick" wrote in message
Hi and excuse me if this is not kosher to this category but I had no
where to turn too. I want to connect an all in on fax/copy/printer and
modem to same phone line. SO would I run a line to modem first then
out to printer with the line in.

Or would I split ther line with a 2 line inline splitter and one for
modem on pc and the other to the printer for it to answer fax. How
would the fax know to answer vs. the phone ringing then from the wall.
Hope somebody can shed some light on me for this. Nick

If you are willing to spend a few dollars a month, your phone company may
offer "distictive ring service". They will give you a second phone number,
on the same line, for the fax with its own ring. Probably 2 short rings,
instead of one long ring for your regular service. Your fax may be able to
be programed to amswer only on two rings, and ignore the single ring.
If not, never mind!
I had it for a few years ands it worked well.
Greg

CMF

"Greg O" wrote in message

If you are willing to spend a few dollars a month, your phone company may
offer "distictive ring service". They will give you a second phone number,
on the same line, for the fax with its own ring. Probably 2 short rings,
instead of one long ring for your regular service. Your fax may be able to
be programed to amswer only on two rings, and ignore the single ring.
If not, never mind!
I had it for a few years ands it worked well.
Greg

Yes, many of the new Faxes can be programmed to answer the distinctive ring.
I have that setup right now and am happy with it. It still ties up the same
phone line, but uses a different incoming number and has the 2 short rings
like you suggested.

Maury

Ermalina

Nick wrote:

Hi and excuse me if this is not kosher to this category but I had no
where to turn too. I want to connect an all in on fax/copy/printer and
modem to same phone line. SO would I run a line to modem first then
out to printer with the line in.

Or would I split ther line with a 2 line inline splitter and one for
modem on pc and the other to the printer for it to answer fax. How
would the fax know to answer vs. the phone ringing then from the wall.
Hope somebody can shed some light on me for this. Nick

Get a little device called a "fax switch". They're cheap and, in my
experience, reliable.

I've had one from Command Communications for years.

http://www.command-comm.com/directory.html

Nick

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 01:39:38 GMT, Nick wrote:

Hi and excuse me if this is not kosher to this category but I had no
where to turn too. I want to connect an all in on fax/copy/printer and
modem to same phone line. SO would I run a line to modem first then
out to printer with the line in.

Or would I split ther line with a 2 line inline splitter and one for
modem on pc and the other to the printer for it to answer fax. How
would the fax know to answer vs. the phone ringing then from the wall.
Hope somebody can shed some light on me for this. Nick

Thanks to all who helped and posted. I did find that on my machine
when set to ans/fax it does not work with current wiring the way I
have it. However, setting to fax only it receives it without moving a
wire. Maybe the machine is screwed up or something in the line I have
daisy chained like phone, answer machine, pc modem is interfering.
Actually it is not a problem if I know I will get afax. i will just
set to fax and wait and then change it back to phone. But ans/fax
should work if fax is heard it runs machine and if not then phone
keeps ringing. Correct. Nick

Phone line problem Zwox Electronics Repair 2 July 29th 04 12:33 AM
Line out jack Joseph Electronics 0 July 17th 04 10:21 AM
Raster problem (bright vertical line and raster pulls in horizontally) with 31" Sylvania Rob Myers Electronics Repair 2 February 29th 04 01:16 PM
HP Laserjet IIID horizontal line on pages Andy Cuffe Electronics Repair 2 January 30th 04 06:39 PM
Removing a Gas Line? Joseph Meehan Home Repair 3 July 15th 03 06:47 PM