Joseph Meehan

Default Removing a Gas Line?

If it were me I would cap the pipe where it starts and remove as much as
possible.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"P.E." wrote in message
m...
OK Gas Line experts. This is part of a continuing project on my house.
I recently removed the fireplace in my house and now have a gas line
to deal with . Since this wont be used again,putting in a
entertainment center, what do I do with the gas pipe? There is a valve
at the wall that was used to shut off the fire, but is there some
building code that states that this entire line will need to be
removed from the wall? As far as I can tell, this line comes from my
furnace/AC condenser in the attic. Unfortunately , there is no shut
off valve there that could shut off the supply down through the wall.
Will a gas line tech need to either:
A: Completely remove the unnecessary pipe?
or
B: Simply add a shutoff valve just past the furnace that would stop
the supply down to the fireplace area?

Im down here in Texas if that makes a difference to building code..

Thanks.

Jim Mc Namara

Either remove the valve, or add a cap or plug at end of the valve. I would
remove the valve and cap the line.

Jim Mc Namara
Houston, Texas

"P.E." wrote in message
m...
OK Gas Line experts. This is part of a continuing project on my house.
I recently removed the fireplace in my house and now have a gas line
to deal with . Since this wont be used again,putting in a
entertainment center, what do I do with the gas pipe? There is a valve
at the wall that was used to shut off the fire, but is there some
building code that states that this entire line will need to be
removed from the wall? As far as I can tell, this line comes from my
furnace/AC condenser in the attic. Unfortunately , there is no shut
off valve there that could shut off the supply down through the wall.
Will a gas line tech need to either:
A: Completely remove the unnecessary pipe?
or
B: Simply add a shutoff valve just past the furnace that would stop
the supply down to the fireplace area?

Im down here in Texas if that makes a difference to building code..

Thanks.

Tom J

"P.E." wrote in message
m...
OK Gas Line experts. This is part of a continuing project on my house.
I recently removed the fireplace in my house and now have a gas line
to deal with . Since this wont be used again,putting in a
entertainment center, what do I do with the gas pipe? There is a valve
at the wall that was used to shut off the fire, but is there some
building code that states that this entire line will need to be
removed from the wall?

Pipes are stubbed in all the time for future use, so there is no problem
leaving the pipe. There is a problem leaving the valve though. Turn off the
gas, remove the valve, and then cap the end of the pipe using pipe dope on the
pipe threads that is especially made for gas lines. The pipe end cap you'll
need will most likely be 3/8 or 1/2. These are inside pipe dia.

Tom J

CBHvac

Its going to depend on your local inpectors.

Here, you need to find the location that the pipe leaves the main branch,
cap it off, and remove the line that is now dead, or cap both ends.

"P.E." wrote in message
m...
OK Gas Line experts. This is part of a continuing project on my house.
I recently removed the fireplace in my house and now have a gas line
to deal with . Since this wont be used again,putting in a
entertainment center, what do I do with the gas pipe? There is a valve
at the wall that was used to shut off the fire, but is there some
building code that states that this entire line will need to be
removed from the wall? As far as I can tell, this line comes from my
furnace/AC condenser in the attic. Unfortunately , there is no shut
off valve there that could shut off the supply down through the wall.
Will a gas line tech need to either:
A: Completely remove the unnecessary pipe?

Line out jack Joseph Electronics 0 July 17th 04 10:21 AM
McCulloch Strimmer Line Frank P UK diy 13 June 9th 04 07:40 AM
Miter saw laser line adapter dteckie Woodworking 5 December 4th 03 12:19 PM
Removing Caulk PC Woodworking 2 August 2nd 03 04:29 PM
Need Some Advice on phone line Problems [email protected] Home Repair 2 June 30th 03 10:33 PM