Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Whirlpool recall.

Help me out here. I thought I knew how a door interlock works and I
suppose the PTC thermistor could overheat and cause a fire, but I
can't see how the load of the main heating element influences it.
Does anyone know what the actual mode of faliure is?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50811686
https://youtu.be/O9zfue1NzGU

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 17/12/2019 14:46, Graham. wrote:

Help me out here. I thought I knew how a door interlock works and I
suppose the PTC thermistor could overheat and cause a fire, but I
can't see how the load of the main heating element influences it.
Does anyone know what the actual mode of faliure is?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50811686
https://youtu.be/O9zfue1NzGU

That perplexed me too.

Unlike a tumble dryer, which can end up full of lint and dry clothes and
has a big heater plus a fan blowing the hot air around, a washing
machine is full of wet stuff. It's unlikely to cause a serious fire, and
indeed, according to the BBC, there have been none.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote in
:

Help me out here. I thought I knew how a door interlock works and I
suppose the PTC thermistor could overheat and cause a fire, but I
can't see how the load of the main heating element influences it.
Does anyone know what the actual mode of faliure is?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50811686
https://youtu.be/O9zfue1NzGU

They always have a ridiculous number of models in production. Modes for
different retailers so that they can't be beaten on price, different
countries, etc.
Can this lead to them not being sufficiently focused on quality and
reliability. Too much distraction.

I thought door locks tended to be mechanical - locked by a bimetal device
with a heating element. Could that heater get too hot if in the proximity
of a tub of hot water?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2019 16:20, John wrote:

snip

I thought door locks tended to be mechanical - locked by a bimetal device
with a heating element. Could that heater get too hot if in the proximity
of a tub of hot water?

Often a wax motor.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 17 December 2019 14:46:27 UTC, Graham. wrote:
Help me out here. I thought I knew how a door interlock works and I
suppose the PTC thermistor could overheat and cause a fire, but I
can't see how the load of the main heating element influences it.
Does anyone know what the actual mode of faliure is?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50811686
https://youtu.be/O9zfue1NzGU

All down to C‚¬ standards.
Much lower than the old BS standard. This is why the Grenfell fire started.
Hopefully we can junk them now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 17 December 2019 14:46:27 UTC, Graham. wrote:
Help me out here. I thought I knew how a door interlock works and I
suppose the PTC thermistor could overheat and cause a fire, but I
can't see how the load of the main heating element influences it.
Does anyone know what the actual mode of faliure is?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50811686
https://youtu.be/O9zfue1NzGU

Some pix here.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-machines.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 17 December 2019 16:07:21 UTC, GB wrote:
It's unlikely to cause a serious fire, and
indeed, according to the BBC, there have been none.

"Some, about 20%, of the Hotpoint and Indesit washing machines sold since 2014 are affected by the fault. Up to 519,000 washing machines sold in the UK are involved. Seventy-nine fires are thought to have been caused by the fault which develops over time, according to Whirlpool, which owns the brands."

I don't know if it was one of these brands, but I know someone who had a washing machine fire. If they had been out of the house, or hadn't dragged the machine out of the kitchen door, they'd probably have lost the house.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 17/12/2019 18:20, harry wrote:
On Tuesday, 17 December 2019 14:46:27 UTC, Graham. wrote:
Help me out here. I thought I knew how a door interlock works and I
suppose the PTC thermistor could overheat and cause a fire, but I
can't see how the load of the main heating element influences it.
Does anyone know what the actual mode of faliure is?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50811686
https://youtu.be/O9zfue1NzGU

Some pix here.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-machines.html

Adblock has detected 158 ads on that link.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
I thought door locks tended to be mechanical - locked by a bimetal device
with a heating element. Could that heater get too hot if in the proximity
of a tub of hot water?

TV news had a shot of the door lock mechanism (square hole for the door
latch to go through), showing a couple of wires going into it and burning of
the plastic next to one.

Suggested workaround is to wash at 20C, suggesting the heater element isn't
in circuit.

Perhaps they're putting the door lock in series with the heating element?

Looking at the interlocks on ebay, most of them have connectors rather than
wire-terminals. This is from one of the affected models:
http://siteassets.ransomspares.co.uk...6242617757.jpg

Googling for schematics (not that many are public) does suggest it's common
to put the door/lid switch in series with everything else, so the machine is
cut off when the door is open. Which would mean the door switch takes
substantial load on warm washes.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo wrote:
Looking at the interlocks on ebay, most of them have connectors rather than
wire-terminals. This is from one of the affected models:
http://siteassets.ransomspares.co.uk...6242617757.jpg

The DM article appears to show the connector is the problem:
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/12...6599321342.jpg
(ad-free zone)

Googling for schematics (not that many are public) does suggest it's common
to put the door/lid switch in series with everything else, so the machine is
cut off when the door is open. Which would mean the door switch takes
substantial load on warm washes.

Although I can't quite work out how they're exploding. Heater is presumably
being jammed on leading to steam buildup. If the door switch fails short circuit,
that would prevent the machine stopping when the door is opened, but I can't
see how it would cause the heater to run for longer. Unless this is a
separate problem?

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 17 December 2019 14:46:27 UTC, Graham. wrote:
Help me out here. I thought I knew how a door interlock works and I
suppose the PTC thermistor could overheat and cause a fire, but I
can't see how the load of the main heating element influences it.
Does anyone know what the actual mode of faliure is?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50811686
https://youtu.be/O9zfue1NzGU

Door interlock interrupts power to, among other things, the main heating element. So if it has deteriorating contacts, it will burn.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 17 December 2019 19:27:40 UTC, ARW wrote:
Adblock has detected 158 ads on that link.

It is the Daily Mail ...

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 17/12/2019 19:33, Theo wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

I wonder if it's more insidious than that, IIIRC there's some Ecobollox
directive that says that appliances must not consume more than 0.5W
when "off". Ours does this via the main (wash selector) switch turning
off the SMPSU, maybe switching through the door switch is just a much
cheaper way of doing it? I notice the door switch referred to in the
pic claims to be rated at 16A...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pamela wrote in
:

On 16:20 17 Dec 2019, John wrote:

Graham. wrote in
:

Help me out here. I thought I knew how a door interlock works and I
suppose the PTC thermistor could overheat and cause a fire, but I
can't see how the load of the main heating element influences it.
Does anyone know what the actual mode of faliure is?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50811686
https://youtu.be/O9zfue1NzGU

They always have a ridiculous number of models in production. Modes
for different retailers so that they can't be beaten on price,
different countries, etc.
Can this lead to them not being sufficiently focused on quality and
reliability. Too much distraction.

Hopefully the socking great cost of the recall will focus Whirlpool's
mind on better design in future.

Sounds like a relay is needed. (or electronic equivilant)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 17 December 2019 23:49:54 UTC, John wrote:
Pamela wrote in
:

Hopefully the socking great cost of the recall will focus Whirlpool's
mind on better design in future.

I doubt it. All electrical equipment comes with fire risks obviously, and the standards were quite good, just not quite good enough. I doubt they knew anything was amiss. Whirlpoo does not have a rep for top quality, safety etc, and there is far worse in the marketplace.

Sounds like a relay is needed. (or electronic equivilant)

That costs. A marginally better switch is cheaper.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo wrote:

I can't quite work out how they're exploding.

I presume those photos are nothing to do with failing door interlocks,
but failed bearings (or not detecting unbalanced loads) causing the drum
to try to escape mid-spin?

They don't seem to have scaled their recall registration webserver
properly, either https://washingmachinerecall.whirlpool.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The whole thing sounds like a fiasco of major proportions to me. I can only
guess that something in the construction of the door latch was not tested
for fireproofness if that is a word, as, like you say the way the system
works has been the same for many years. That is unless they re invented the
well worse again in 2014. I can see some kind of interlock based on a
circuit and a relay that fails connected, and hence overheats the relay, but
surely relays that are designed for such uses must be tested to comply?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Graham." wrote in message

Help me out here. I thought I knew how a door interlock works and I
suppose the PTC thermistor could overheat and cause a fire, but I
can't see how the load of the main heating element influences it.
Does anyone know what the actual mode of faliure is?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50811686
https://youtu.be/O9zfue1NzGU

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I had a service suddenly catch fire some years ago, but it was not serious
and self extinguished. Caused through dry joints sparking on a pcb and the
lacquer used to protect it was what caught fire, but the pcb itself and
everything around it were fire retardant, so although it made a crackling
sound emitted a lot of pungent smoke it did not really do any damage to the
room it was in. Of course it could not really be repaired since the
original fault was mechanical which had overheated joints etc etc.
Sometimes you have to just say its ready for the scrap heap.
Brian

--
----- --

wrote in message
On Tuesday, 17 December 2019 16:07:21 UTC, GB wrote:
It's unlikely to cause a serious fire, and
indeed, according to the BBC, there have been none.

"Some, about 20%, of the Hotpoint and Indesit washing machines sold since
2014 are affected by the fault. Up to 519,000 washing machines sold in the
UK are involved. Seventy-nine fires are thought to have been caused by the
fault which develops over time, according to Whirlpool, which owns the
brands."

I don't know if it was one of these brands, but I know someone who had a
washing machine fire. If they had been out of the house, or hadn't dragged
the machine out of the kitchen door, they'd probably have lost the house.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Whatever happened to the testing for flame retardation. When I worked fro a
company making tvs, all the critical components were tested by actually
trying to set one on fire and even pcbs had a push out rectangle you could
batch test with.
The most flammable bit of those tvs was the glue holding the veneer to the
chipboard cabinets. Yes it was that long ago. They also had to retain an
imploding CRT so chards of glass were not accelerated into the user!

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"The Other Mike" wrote in message
On Tue, 17 Dec 2019 10:32:56 -0800 (PST),

wrote:

On Tuesday, 17 December 2019 16:07:21 UTC, GB wrote:
It's unlikely to cause a serious fire, and
indeed, according to the BBC, there have been none.

"Some, about 20%, of the Hotpoint and Indesit washing machines sold since
2014 are affected by the fault. Up to 519,000 washing machines sold in the
UK are involved. Seventy-nine fires are thought to have been caused by the
fault which develops over time, according to Whirlpool, which owns the
brands."

I don't know if it was one of these brands, but I know someone who had a
washing machine fire. If they had been out of the house, or hadn't dragged
the machine out of the kitchen door, they'd probably have lost the house.

Ditto with a mate of mine back in the late 1980's, an AEG washing
machine, costing an arm and a leg and just a few months old decided to
burst into flames just as they were going to bed. Fortunately it was
unpluggable and a few buckets of water eventually put the flames out.
Five minutes later and the whole kitchen would have been alight.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes but the point is, the plastic parts used for such things tend to be very
well tested, as its an obvious safety critical part. If it melted, for
example and flooded the kitchen I doubt that would down well with customers
either.
Really, saying only use a cold wash is stupid, its either dangerous or its
not.
They have in effect layed themselves open for retailers to accept the old
ones back then take #whirlpool to court over their cock up.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"John" wrote in message
2.236...
Graham. wrote in
:

Help me out here. I thought I knew how a door interlock works and I
suppose the PTC thermistor could overheat and cause a fire, but I
can't see how the load of the main heating element influences it.
Does anyone know what the actual mode of faliure is?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50811686
https://youtu.be/O9zfue1NzGU

They always have a ridiculous number of models in production. Modes for
different retailers so that they can't be beaten on price, different
countries, etc.
Can this lead to them not being sufficiently focused on quality and
reliability. Too much distraction.

I thought door locks tended to be mechanical - locked by a bimetal device
with a heating element. Could that heater get too hot if in the proximity
of a tub of hot water?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 17 December 2019 14:46:27 UTC, Graham. wrote:
Help me out here. I thought I knew how a door interlock works and I
suppose the PTC thermistor could overheat and cause a fire, but I
can't see how the load of the main heating element influences it.
Does anyone know what the actual mode of faliure is?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50811686
https://youtu.be/O9zfue1NzGU

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

At one time, all plastics in electrical equipment were self extinguishing (bakelite)
Now they are not due to the EUSSR CE standards.
Now we have lots of electrical stuff made with highly flammable thermo-plastics.
Enables stuff to be made far more cheaply.

Portable appliances, consumer units sockets etc all burn nowadays whereas previously they didn't. They just went black and made a nasty smell.

https://www.london-fire.gov.uk/news/...er-the-stairs/

https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.or...it-mythbuster/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 17 December 2019 19:27:40 UTC, ARW wrote:
On 17/12/2019 18:20, harry wrote:
On Tuesday, 17 December 2019 14:46:27 UTC, Graham. wrote:
Help me out here. I thought I knew how a door interlock works and I
suppose the PTC thermistor could overheat and cause a fire, but I
can't see how the load of the main heating element influences it.
Does anyone know what the actual mode of faliure is?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50811686
https://youtu.be/O9zfue1NzGU

Some pix here.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-machines.html

Adblock has detected 158 ads on that link.

So? How do you expect free-to-access on-line newspapers to pay for themselves?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2019 23:49, John wrote:
Pamela wrote in
:

[...]

The door interlocks, which I believe are the problem, are similar in
operation across many machines. I'm not defending Whirlpool- having had
issues with one of their fridge/freezers in the past (about 30 years
back so not the current round) I'm no fan of theirs, although they did
respond well after a complaint to their CEO BUT I'd not be surprised if
similar parts are used in other machines which haven't been identified
yet by other manufacturers*.

Also, in fairness to Whirlpool, the scale of this problem is massive.
Their logistic system simply isn't designed to cope with this scale of
refit etc.

People are, perhaps understandably, concerned after Grenfell etc, but
just how many incidents have there been across the units in operation?

*When you buy parts to repair appliances yourself, you often find they
are common to a number of machines which aren't simply 'badged' versions
of the same basic beast.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

If they concentrated on less models, then they could reduce their
production costs.

They're probably all the same basic machine with different plastics on
the outside and different firmware settings on the inside ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 18 December 2019 09:26:18 UTC, harry wrote:

At one time, all plastics in electrical equipment were self extinguishing (bakelite)
Now they are not due to the EUSSR CE standards.
Now we have lots of electrical stuff made with highly flammable thermo-plastics.

Which standards are you referring to?
My experience of designing to recent EU standards (which are mostly
now harmonised with USA and other national standards) is that there
is a great deal of attention to the prevention of fire and its containment
should it occur.
For example, anything close to a potential ignition source generally
needs to meet flammability standard ULV0 or equivalent. There is a lot
of detail about sizes of apertures in enclosures which might allow flames
or molten burning plastics to escape.
Reputable test labs will, if they consider it necessary, follow the paper
trail for the materials used. In one instance a PCB insulating spacer
was made in China and had no markings because it was just a bare board.
Intertek required us to provide documentation from the Chinese board
manufacturer about the source and certification of the resin used to
manufacture the PCB before accepting its flammability rating.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

They have in effect layed themselves open for retailers to accept the old
ones back then take #whirlpool to court over their cock up.

Perhaps they have timed it to avoid that? All the machines involved are
2018 or earlier. Retailers will be reluctant to get involved on machines
over a year old.

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 18/12/2019 09:26, harry wrote:

Now they are not due to the EUSSR CE standards.

Love it! Was it you also blaming the EU for Grenfell Tower, even though
other EU countries have avoided cladding tower blocks with fire lighters?

Bakelite has not been in use since the 1950s.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2019 12:00, GB wrote:
On 18/12/2019 09:26, harry wrote:

Now they are not due to the EUSSR CE standards.

Love it! Was it you also blaming the EU for Grenfell Tower, even though
other EU countries have avoided cladding tower blocks with fire lighters?

Bakelite has not been in use since the 1950s.

Grenfell was a case of the rules not being applied, not the rules not
existing.

Anyone who has travelled and lived on the continet will be aware that UK
safety standards are higher than European in most cases.

--
The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to
rule.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 18 December 2019 11:56:21 UTC, GB wrote:
They have in effect layed themselves open for retailers to accept the old
ones back then take #whirlpool to court over their cock up.

Perhaps they have timed it to avoid that? All the machines involved are
2018 or earlier. Retailers will be reluctant to get involved on machines
over a year old.

They don't have a choice.

Whirlpool have admitted the fault was present at the time of sale, and consumers can sue the retailer for up to six years after purchase. It will be difficult for a retailer to defend a claim.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

*When you buy parts to repair appliances yourself, you often find they
are common to a number of machines which aren't simply 'badged' versions
of the same basic beast.

Good note!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote in news:h5ucubFa5o4U1
@mid.individual.net:

John wrote:

If they concentrated on less models, then they could reduce their
production costs.

They're probably all the same basic machine with different plastics on
the outside and different firmware settings on the inside ...

I still think they are using design reousrces on trivial model changes when
they should be working on sourcing and specifying components that are
thoroughly tested to be up to the job.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 18/12/2019 12:00, GB wrote:
On 18/12/2019 09:26, harry wrote:

Now they are not due to the EUSSR CE standards.

Love it! Was it you also blaming the EU for Grenfell Tower, even though
other EU countries have avoided cladding tower blocks with fire lighters?

Bakelite has not been in use since the 1950s.

Grenfell was a case of the rules not being applied, not the rules not
existing.

Anyone who has travelled and lived on the continet will be aware that UK
safety standards are higher than European in most cases.

You mean the evil EUSSR forced us to have higher safety standard red
tape than they set for themselves?

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Theo wrote:

I can't quite work out how they're exploding.

I presume those photos are nothing to do with failing door interlocks,
but failed bearings (or not detecting unbalanced loads) causing the drum
to try to escape mid-spin?

You might be right:

quote
Miss Flint, from Telford, Shropshire, who had her machine for two-and-a-half
years without any previous problems, added: 'The washing machine was on spin
and it just suddenly blew up.

'I just heard shattering glass and, when I looked, there was steam coming
out of it.'
/quote

'At some point the washing machine drum came apart and sent its load up
through the top of the washing machine and destroyed a good chunk of the
kitchen.
/q

I had assumed steam buildup was a cause, but maybe just a side effect?

It seems this is what comes of excessive value-engineering, and then so
commoditising the machines that there's no support network to modify them
after-sales. Their standard business model just assumes you'll buy another
one when it breaks, which doesn't work so well for recalls...

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 17 December 2019 14:46:27 UTC, Graham. wrote:
Help me out here. I thought I knew how a door interlock works and I
suppose the PTC thermistor could overheat and cause a fire, but I
can't see how the load of the main heating element influences it.
Does anyone know what the actual mode of faliure is?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50811686
https://youtu.be/O9zfue1NzGU

Rather than "Whirlpool recall", I suggest "Forget Whirlpool".

Given the liability of retailers, I wonder if any are having to consider totally dropping their brands because they cannot afford the public liability insurance demands if they continue to sell them?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2019 09:28, harry wrote:
On Tuesday, 17 December 2019 19:27:40 UTC, ARW wrote:
On 17/12/2019 18:20, harry wrote:
On Tuesday, 17 December 2019 14:46:27 UTC, Graham. wrote:
Help me out here. I thought I knew how a door interlock works and I
suppose the PTC thermistor could overheat and cause a fire, but I
can't see how the load of the main heating element influences it.
Does anyone know what the actual mode of faliure is?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50811686
https://youtu.be/O9zfue1NzGU

Some pix here.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-machines.html

Adblock has detected 158 ads on that link.

So? How do you expect free-to-access on-line newspapers to pay for themselves?

They should include only just enough adverts to cover the production
costs, not as much as they think they can get away with.

And avoid nuisance ads that cover the text; videos that start playing
(whether the sound is turned on or not); using *all* the processor
cycles in the complicated bidding system they use to decide which ads to
serve up.

They're just greedy.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 18 December 2019 12:28:28 UTC, GB wrote:
Under the CRA15, the retailer has the option of carrying out a repair,
which of course is exactly what Whirlpool is offering to do.

Except that Whirlpool are not allowing others to repair affected appliances, and a consumer would have a good argument that a repair contravening the manufacturer's instructions was not a satisfactory remedy in law.

Owain

RECALL: Milwaukee Power Tool Batteries Greg Home Repair 0 July 11th 07 09:42 PM
Slow Cooker Recall TURTLE Home Repair 1 January 15th 05 02:14 PM
Lowes Garden Cart Recall willshak Home Repair 1 January 7th 05 04:13 AM
Lowes Garden Cart Recall willshak Home Repair 0 January 6th 05 08:04 PM
NY GE dishwasher recall lawsuit Sue Home Ownership 0 September 4th 03 07:12 PM