Posted to uk.d-i-y
Theo[_3_] Theo[_3_] is offline

Default Whirlpool recall.

Theo wrote:
Looking at the interlocks on ebay, most of them have connectors rather than
wire-terminals. This is from one of the affected models:
http://siteassets.ransomspares.co.uk...6242617757.jpg

The DM article appears to show the connector is the problem:
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/12...6599321342.jpg
(ad-free zone)

Googling for schematics (not that many are public) does suggest it's common
to put the door/lid switch in series with everything else, so the machine is
cut off when the door is open. Which would mean the door switch takes
substantial load on warm washes.

Although I can't quite work out how they're exploding. Heater is presumably
being jammed on leading to steam buildup. If the door switch fails short circuit,
that would prevent the machine stopping when the door is opened, but I can't
see how it would cause the heater to run for longer. Unless this is a
separate problem?

Theo