Posted to uk.d-i-y
Theo[_3_] Theo[_3_] is offline

Default Whirlpool recall.

Andy Burns wrote:
Theo wrote:

I can't quite work out how they're exploding.

I presume those photos are nothing to do with failing door interlocks,
but failed bearings (or not detecting unbalanced loads) causing the drum
to try to escape mid-spin?

You might be right:

quote
Miss Flint, from Telford, Shropshire, who had her machine for two-and-a-half
years without any previous problems, added: 'The washing machine was on spin
and it just suddenly blew up.

'I just heard shattering glass and, when I looked, there was steam coming
out of it.'
/quote

'At some point the washing machine drum came apart and sent its load up
through the top of the washing machine and destroyed a good chunk of the
kitchen.
/q

I had assumed steam buildup was a cause, but maybe just a side effect?

It seems this is what comes of excessive value-engineering, and then so
commoditising the machines that there's no support network to modify them
after-sales. Their standard business model just assumes you'll buy another
one when it breaks, which doesn't work so well for recalls...

Theo