Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] jrwalliker@gmail.com is offline

Default Whirlpool recall.

On Wednesday, 18 December 2019 09:26:18 UTC, harry wrote:

At one time, all plastics in electrical equipment were self extinguishing (bakelite)
Now they are not due to the EUSSR CE standards.
Now we have lots of electrical stuff made with highly flammable thermo-plastics.

Which standards are you referring to?
My experience of designing to recent EU standards (which are mostly
now harmonised with USA and other national standards) is that there
is a great deal of attention to the prevention of fire and its containment
should it occur.
For example, anything close to a potential ignition source generally
needs to meet flammability standard ULV0 or equivalent. There is a lot
of detail about sizes of apertures in enclosures which might allow flames
or molten burning plastics to escape.
Reputable test labs will, if they consider it necessary, follow the paper
trail for the materials used. In one instance a PCB insulating spacer
was made in China and had no markings because it was just a bare board.
Intertek required us to provide documentation from the Chinese board
manufacturer about the source and certification of the resin used to
manufacture the PCB before accepting its flammability rating.

John