Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Whirlpool recall.

On Tuesday, 17 December 2019 14:46:27 UTC, Graham. wrote:
Help me out here. I thought I knew how a door interlock works and I
suppose the PTC thermistor could overheat and cause a fire, but I
can't see how the load of the main heating element influences it.
Does anyone know what the actual mode of faliure is?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50811686
https://youtu.be/O9zfue1NzGU

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

At one time, all plastics in electrical equipment were self extinguishing (bakelite)
Now they are not due to the EUSSR CE standards.
Now we have lots of electrical stuff made with highly flammable thermo-plastics.
Enables stuff to be made far more cheaply.

Portable appliances, consumer units sockets etc all burn nowadays whereas previously they didn't. They just went black and made a nasty smell.

https://www.london-fire.gov.uk/news/...er-the-stairs/

https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.or...it-mythbuster/