Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A little light relief

Andrew wrote:
On 13/11/2019 11:28, Bob Eager wrote:
I travel light anyway (I wear mostly Rohan gear), and there were things I
didn't need to duplicate in my own luggage. So my suitcase was about
10kg. Arrived at Heathrow, and it was immediately diverted for a security
scan. I got a detailed one too.

You need deep pockets to buy Rohan clothing these days :-(

22 types of mens trousers, now including 'jeans' (*) but no
more Uplanders for some reason. My 25-YO pair are getting
tired.

(*) The very thing that the original Rohan founders despised
and the reason why the developed their own easy-dry fabrics.

Not only do Rohan last, if there is a problem, their after sales service is
excellent. I had a zip fail on a pair of trousers after several years. We
were traveling at the time (in the UK) but took them into a Rohan shop.
They found me on their computer, told me to pick another pair of trousers,
and that was it.

They dry quickly etc, are very comfortable.

My only gripe is they stopped making my favourite winter shirt and Im down
to my last one.

They (Rohan) have expanded into business clothes- although they arent as
smart as I would like,more the European look than traditional English
style.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Spike wrote:
On 13/11/2019 08:56, Brian Reay wrote:

Ive often thought the security people at airports must see some peculiar
things in luggage.

Senior Management was regularly stopped when she used to fly to Brussels.
Her hair dryer - a small one for traveling- apparently looked like a gun.

A smarter traveller, after the first incident of this kind, would avoid
further 'stops' by buying a travel hair-dryer that didn't look like a
gun, rather than keep suffering the inconvenience.

Only someone who is unfamiliar with traveling would trot out such nonsense.

Having you hand luggage checked isnt uncommon and takes a moment or two,
unless you are difficult. In the scheme of traveling by air, it hardly
registers on the inconvenience scale.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mm0fmf wrote:
On 13/11/2019 13:55, Spike wrote:
On 13/11/2019 08:56, Brian Reay wrote:

Ive often thought the security people at airports must see some peculiar
things in luggage.

Senior Management was regularly stopped when she used to fly to Brussels.
Her hair dryer - a small one for traveling- apparently looked like a gun.

A smarter traveller, after the first incident of this kind, would avoid
further 'stops' by buying a travel hair-dryer that didn't look like a
gun, rather than keep suffering the inconvenience.

Or they could use their diplomatic passport and not get stopped.

Spike hasnt mentioned his diplomatic passport for ages, he will need to
print a new one soon ;-)

Perhaps he is hoping people have forgotten his fantasies re being a secret
agent come diplomat come Government adviser come top scientist come righter
of wrongs .......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/11/2019 12:05, whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 12 November 2019 20:02:35 UTC, Andrew wrote:
On 12/11/2019 15:41, whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 12 November 2019 14:34:02 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Andy Bennet wrote:
Seeking out the freshest goods and paying the asking price is common
sense.

True. Perhaps those who don't want this just have it delivered?

True, but I also look for BOGOF and similar deals rather than just
assuming the asking price is the right price or the cheapest.
Plus I get those annoying vouchers through the post that are sometimes worth looking at, which give you a discount or added reward points.

Be aware that BOGOF deals are usually paid for by the supplier,

Often BOGOF deals are no cheaper than other retails selling the same or
similar at single item prices. Sainsbury seem very keen at selling short
lived perishable fruit on a BOGOF basis, or at a very inflated price if
you just want the one off.

Its much the same as many deals in the large supermarkets. Tescos new
Club card plus costing the best part of £100 per year just goes to show
how much they don't value their customers who don't make a £200 shop
twice a month.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 22:58:22 +0000, Brian Reay wrote:

Andrew wrote:
[...]

And (Bags at least) they have deep pockets! I wore Bags at work from 1984
until I retired in 2015. Still do (but not the same pair!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
[...]

Im always intrigued by the obsession Rohan have with secret pockets,
especially in shirts.

As for their trousers, I like the convertible ones- ideal when traveling
and especially when walking, although the zips in the legs do tend to set
of airport scanners and confuse the handheld ones they use to check you
with.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

**** Andy Bennet wrote:
[...]

I don't feel strongly one way or another about Clubcard Plus but you
break even if in 1 or 2 visits a month you spend a *total* of *£80* or
more on qualifying stuff.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
[...]

The nearest I've found in a backpack is the Riut bags. Zips aren't
concealed, but they are hard to get to if you are a thief and the pack is
being worn.

I use mine all the time. In fact, I have more than one for different
payloads.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , steve@walker-
family.me.uk says...

I don't think they do any more. Probably too many people were finding
problems like we did - order food for a week and find that everything
had to be used within 3 days! We stopped using home delivery or click
and collect for quite a while because of it.

There seems to be a much better product life now, but whether they are
just picking randomly or deliberately picking fresher products, I don't
know.

My wife has used Ocado, Tesco, Sainsburys and Waitrose and had
lots of problems. We've lost count of the number of carrier
bags of flour that have arrived because sharp objects have
been placed in the same bag!

She's now settled on Waitrose and is delighted with the
service she gets from our local store (Lincoln).

Warnings of short dated products (few) and sometimes supplied
at no charge!

--

Terry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
[...]

I've never worn any Rohan clothes out. I've torn them etc but they just
seem to go on and on. I mentioned the trousers a zip broke on etc.
Senior Management had a problem with something (I suspect a blouse) but
they replaced it with no fuss at all.

Im always intrigued by the obsession Rohan have with secret pockets,
especially in shirts.

The nearest I've found in a backpack is the Riut bags. Zips aren't
concealed, but they are hard to get to if you are a thief and the pack is
being worn.

I use mine all the time. In fact, I have more than one for different
payloads.

I suspect a thief would just use a knife and cut the pack.

I like the Rohan Expedition shirts (both long and short sleeve). They
have varied the design detail, not always for the better, the earlier
ones were better. The 'hidden' chest pocket is ideal for a wallet, not
only does it have zip but anyone trying to gain access would have to be
good to not be noticed.

I watch out for the sales and buy a couple as 'stock' for when I need
them- I tend to damage them, I've never actually worn one out.

Columbia do some similar clothes but they are not so easy to find here-
at least not the full range. I bought some in the US.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 11:34:24 +0000, Brian Reay wrote:

Im always intrigued by the obsession Rohan have with secret
pockets,
especially in shirts.

The nearest I've found in a backpack is the Riut bags. Zips aren't
concealed, but they are hard to get to if you are a thief and the pack
is being worn.

I use mine all the time. In fact, I have more than one for different
payloads.

I suspect a thief would just use a knife and cut the pack.

ULtimately, that will always be the case. But the casual thief (e.g. on
the Tube) will be defeated. And they are well designed, too.

I like the Rohan Expedition shirts (both long and short sleeve). They
have varied the design detail, not always for the better, the earlier
ones were better. The 'hidden' chest pocket is ideal for a wallet, not
only does it have zip but anyone trying to gain access would have to be
good to not be noticed.

Me too, although the Riutbag Sling is also useful in that situation.

I watch out for the sales and buy a couple as 'stock' for when I need
them- I tend to damage them, I've never actually worn one out.

Same here. I seem to get a lot of money-off vouchers; I haven't paid full
price in a long time (same applies with Riut).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 13 November 2019 19:15:21 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
mm0fmf wrote:
Although not sure where they get the
stuff from

Don't you ever visit supermarkets?

There are always teams of pickers roaming my local supermarket with
hand-held terminals and a trolley with 6-8 baskets on it. Lots of
consult hand-held (tells them row, shelf, item), scan it, scan barcode
on basket on trolley, place it in basket. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Not at my local one.

I've never seen them in any of the supermarkets I go to.
It would be rather inefficient for them to do it like that on any real scale.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
[...]

A good place to put one's London TravelCard.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Terry Casey wrote:
In article , steve@walker-
family.me.uk says...

I don't think they do any more. Probably too many people were finding
problems like we did - order food for a week and find that everything
had to be used within 3 days! We stopped using home delivery or click
and collect for quite a while because of it.

There seems to be a much better product life now, but whether they are
just picking randomly or deliberately picking fresher products, I don't
know.

My wife has used Ocado, Tesco, Sainsburys and Waitrose and had
lots of problems. We've lost count of the number of carrier
bags of flour that have arrived because sharp objects have
been placed in the same bag!

Last year, elder daughter had a big birthday and I was asked to provide the
wine. I ordered 12 bottles of something from Ocado (on offer), so I
expected a cardboard box; no - 4 carrier bags each containing 3 bottles -
and they charged me for the bags. ;-(

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mm0fmf wrote:
Although not sure where they get the
stuff from
Don't you ever visit supermarkets?

There are always teams of pickers roaming my local supermarket with
hand-held terminals and a trolley with 6-8 baskets on it. Lots of
consult hand-held (tells them row, shelf, item), scan it, scan barcode
on basket on trolley, place it in basket. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Not at my local one.

I've never seen them in any of the supermarkets I go to.
It would be rather inefficient for them to do it like that on any real
scale.

But it might be less efficient to do it out the back or in the
main distribution center where the stuff is still in the boxes
of lots of the boxes of the stuff the customer wants one of.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
[...]

Pretty outrageous prices tho. $100 for a pair of shorts.

I have a hell of a problem finding shorts that I like, mainly
because I dont like the current fashion of shorts down to
your knees.

Currently bought these but the pockets opening goes down
too far and I managed to have my car keys fall out on the
car seat when I got a lift with my mate to a garage sale way
out of town which made no sense for us both to drive to.
No big deal in that case because they came out in his car
but could be a hell of a problem if it had happened at a
big event like this one.
https://thesocietyinc.com.au/general...wkesbury-2019/

Havent tried sewing up the bottom of the pocket opening yet tho.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mens-Stu...frcectupt=true

I prefer proper belt loops and a proper leather belt too.

The Rohan Bags shorts look ideal but not to keen on the
synthetic cloth. Dont need fast drying. I prefer cotton.,
I might try some if they show in the souk.

Currently love the Aldi cargo trousers, the pockets
are perfect. convenient pocket for the phone alone,
another fo rthe torch for garage sales and the even
the normal pockets are much easier to get a phone
out of when sitting in the car with the phone in a
pocket than jeans with the phone in a front pocket.
I never put the phone in a back pocket, too expensive
to wreck by sitting on it. I do cut off the biggest cargo
pocket tho, easy with a seam ripper.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mm0fmf wrote:
Although not sure where they get the
stuff from
Don't you ever visit supermarkets?

There are always teams of pickers roaming my local supermarket with
hand-held terminals and a trolley with 6-8 baskets on it. Lots of
consult hand-held (tells them row, shelf, item), scan it, scan barcode
on basket on trolley, place it in basket. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Not at my local one.

I've never seen them in any of the supermarkets I go to.
It would be rather inefficient for them to do it like that on any real scale.

I'll take some photos next time I'm in there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 04:37:36 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

But it might be less

Knowing EVERYTHING better again, you clinically insane lonely senile
wisenheimer? LMAO

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 05:01:53 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Pretty outrageous prices tho. $100 for a pair of shorts.

I have a hell of a problem finding shorts

Nobody's interested, you trolling piece of senile **** ...however lonely you
are! BG

--
Bod addressing senile Rot:
"Rod, you have a sick twisted mind. I suggest you stop your mindless
Posted to uk.d-i-y

**** Andy Bennet wrote:
[...]

Eh? Two £40 shops a month and the card's paid for. Two £200 shops a
month and you've saved £32.

'Saved' in the sense of spending money at Tesco, of course.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
mm0fmf wrote:
On 14/11/2019 13:23, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 13 November 2019 19:15:21 UTC, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article , mm0fmf
Although not sure where they get the stuff from
Don't you ever visit supermarkets?

There are always teams of pickers roaming my local supermarket with
hand-held terminals and a trolley with 6-8 baskets on it. Lots of
consult hand-held (tells them row, shelf, item), scan it, scan
barcode on basket on trolley, place it in basket. Lather, rinse,
repeat.

Not at my local one.

I've never seen them in any of the supermarkets I go to. It would be
rather inefficient for them to do it like that on any real scale.

I'll take some photos next time I'm in there.

It may well depend on where you are. If the supermarket has a distribution
warehouse in the area?

--
*The statement above is false

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 15 November 2019 09:05:27 UTC, RJH wrote:
Eh? Two £40 shops a month and the card's paid for. Two £200 shops a
month and you've saved £32.
'Saved' in the sense of spending money at Tesco, of course.

And doing the shopping yourself, rather than online.

Online apparently isn't profitable for Tesco (with the picking costs and probably also people succumb less to impulse buys) so this is a way of getting higher-spending customers back into Tesco stores.

Lidl recently did a £10 off £40 promotion voucher in the Metro and Mail anyway.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mm0fmf wrote:
Although not sure where they get the
stuff from
Don't you ever visit supermarkets?

There are always teams of pickers roaming my local supermarket with
hand-held terminals and a trolley with 6-8 baskets on it. Lots of
consult hand-held (tells them row, shelf, item), scan it, scan barcode
on basket on trolley, place it in basket. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Not at my local one.

I've never seen them in any of the supermarkets I go to.
It would be rather inefficient for them to do it like that on any real
scale.

But it might be less efficient to do it out the back or in the
main distribution center where the stuff is still in the boxes
of lots of the boxes of the stuff the customer wants one of.

With a lot of customers the one off increases to many.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/11/2019 09:05, RJH wrote:

Eh? Two £40 shops a month and the card's paid for.

Spend £80 and save nothing.

Two £200 shops a
month and you've saved £32.

I'll bet that Tesco has done a lot of research about how much it charges
for the card and what the typical big shop amount comes to. The card
charge will equal the discount given.

'Saved' in the sense of spending money at Tesco, of course.

Select your goods wisely. Tesco have been selling the (instant) branded
coffee that I prefer at around £7/jar mark for around the last two
years. I've been purchasing the same elsewhere for £4.50 to £5 for the
past few years. Shopper who only use one retailer can be fooled into
believing that the large supermarkets are competitive. A £32 saving on a
£400 shop may only be true if you buy everything at Tescos inflated prices!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
mm0fmf wrote:
On 14/11/2019 13:23, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 13 November 2019 19:15:21 UTC, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article , mm0fmf
Although not sure where they get the stuff from
Don't you ever visit supermarkets?

There are always teams of pickers roaming my local supermarket with
hand-held terminals and a trolley with 6-8 baskets on it. Lots of
consult hand-held (tells them row, shelf, item), scan it, scan
barcode on basket on trolley, place it in basket. Lather, rinse,
repeat.

Not at my local one.

I've never seen them in any of the supermarkets I go to. It would be
rather inefficient for them to do it like that on any real scale.

I'll take some photos next time I'm in there.

It may well depend on where you are. If the supermarket has a distribution
warehouse in the area?

So I talked to the woman with 8 baskets on a trolley.... In ASDA they do
the picking for delivery and click and collect at this and most large
stores. There's a covered large area in the car park with what look like
left-luggage lockers that customers can collect their orders. Likewise
the delivery vans pick up orders from the same lockers. This is common
across all of Scotland as there are no warehouses. Products arrive, are
unloaded and placed on the shelves, there is only a tiny amount of space
for staging the unloaded products but no back room storage as such. She
did say they have warehouses in England for delivery.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/11/2019 19:27, mm0fmf wrote:
In article ,
*** mm0fmf wrote:
On 14/11/2019 13:23, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 13 November 2019 19:15:21 UTC, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article , mm0fmf
**** wrote:
[...]

The ASDA near us does the same.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 16 November 2019 19:27:28 UTC, mm0fmf wrote:
She did say they have warehouses in England for delivery.

The point of having warehouses for delivery may be that they can't get planning permission for a supermarket-sized retail outlet or a site isn't big enough for customer parking.

Owain

Light relief Muddymike UK diy 15 May 21st 16 07:46 PM
George! You'll mould units. Little by little, I'll cover the frog. Chris Friesen Woodworking 0 June 27th 06 08:31 AM
Little by little, Susanne never cleans until Jonnie nibbles the tired boat absolutely. Sis Woodworking 0 June 27th 06 07:28 AM
Little by little, Norma never teases until Ann behaves the new tailor eerily. Steve DeMars Woodworking 0 May 20th 06 12:34 AM
OT a little: How do you get those funky strain relief connectors off a table saw switch Clint Woodworking 4 November 1st 05 12:34 AM