Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A little light relief

Why is it the packs of Tucs cheese biscuits invariably arrive broken or
weakened such that they snap as the cheese is applied?

My guess is that shelf stackers play pass the parcel with them on the
journey from warehouse to shelf.
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2019 20:32, Tim Lamb wrote:
Why is it the packs of Tucs cheese biscuits invariably arrive broken or
weakened such that they snap as the cheese is applied?

EU rules mean they can no longer use as much cardboard in the biscuit
recipe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 8 November 2019 20:32:33 UTC, Tim Lamb wrote:
Why is it the packs of Tucs cheese biscuits invariably arrive broken or
weakened such that they snap as the cheese is applied?

You're not supposed to apply cheese directly to the Tuc biscuit. The force of doing that, as well as placing a Tuc against a flat or curved plate, will cause stresses within the biscuit structure leading to catastrophic fracture failure.

The correct technique is to:

(a) place the Tuc biscuit on a surface that will support the biscuit. A silicone baking sheet may be suitable.

(b) apply a layer of butter to the Tuc biscuit with a knife, ensuring that the film of butter always acts as a cushion between the knife and the biscuit.

(c) gently lower the cheese onto the top of the Tuc biscuit until surface tension of the butter film adheres to the cheese but the cheese does not apply force onto the Tuc biscuit.

Any Tucs that arrive already broken should be put aside and used as a crunchy toppping for macaroni cheese.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

And I get the same issue with Ginger nuts, where they seem intact until you
open the packet, then they turn to fragments.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
Why is it the packs of Tucs cheese biscuits invariably arrive broken or
weakened such that they snap as the cheese is applied?

My guess is that shelf stackers play pass the parcel with them on the
journey from warehouse to shelf.
--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Brian Gaff (Sofa)"
writes
And I get the same issue with Ginger nuts, where they seem intact until you
open the packet, then they turn to fragments.

Ah. Long experience has taught me to gently tap any biscuit prior to
dipping in a cup of tea:-)

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , "Brian Gaff (Sofa)"
writes
And I get the same issue with Ginger nuts, where they seem intact until you
open the packet, then they turn to fragments.

Ah. Long experience has taught me to gently tap any biscuit prior to
dipping in a cup of tea:-)

That is done so that the weevils fall out - acording to CS Forrester.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2019 20:32, Tim Lamb wrote:
Why is it the packs of Tucs cheese biscuits invariably arrive broken or
weakened such that they snap as the cheese is applied?

Buy TUC cheese sandwich and the cheese is already applied.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

You never use butter, you barbarian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2019 03:55, Rod Speed wrote:

You never use butter, you barbarian.

You don't need butter if you squeeze the cheese from a tube.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mature-Sque.../dp/B004E0H7FI

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , charles
writes
In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , "Brian Gaff (Sofa)"
writes
And I get the same issue with Ginger nuts, where they seem intact until you
open the packet, then they turn to fragments.

Ah. Long experience has taught me to gently tap any biscuit prior to
dipping in a cup of tea:-)

That is done so that the weevils fall out - acording to CS Forrester.

Yes but, it also avoids the disaster of tea with biscuit sludge in the
cup.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:
And I get the same issue with Ginger nuts, where they seem intact until you
open the packet, then they turn to fragments.
Brian

Cheese on ginger nuts, that is different ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2019 08:21, alan_m wrote:
On 09/11/2019 03:55, Rod Speed wrote:

You never use butter, you barbarian.

You don't need butter if you squeeze the cheese from a tube.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mature-Sque.../dp/B004E0H7FI

At last!
Real American Cheese!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Its not just dipping though its just untidy leaving crumbs everywhere. I'm
sure when they were in square packs with corrugated sides with the biscuits
flat this never was an issue, its these almost skin tight unrecyclable
plastic wrap packs that are vulnerable, as they get fractured due to their
being nothing inside to cushion them when they get a mechanical shock.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , "Brian Gaff (Sofa)"
writes
And I get the same issue with Ginger nuts, where they seem intact until
you
open the packet, then they turn to fragments.

Ah. Long experience has taught me to gently tap any biscuit prior to
dipping in a cup of tea:-)

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Sat, 9 Nov 2019 14:55:25 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

You never use butter, you barbarian.

SO lonely again, driveling idiot?

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2019 09:08, Andy Bennet wrote:
On 09/11/2019 08:21, alan_m wrote:
On 09/11/2019 03:55, Rod Speed wrote:

You never use butter, you barbarian.

You don't need butter if you squeeze the cheese from a tube.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mature-Sque.../dp/B004E0H7FI

At last!
Real American Cheese!

Manufactured by Old Fashion Foods and it's "caffeine free"!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2019 20:32, Tim Lamb wrote:
Why is it the packs of Tucs cheese biscuits invariably arrive broken or
weakened such that they snap as the cheese is applied?

My guess is that shelf stackers play pass the parcel with them on the
journey from warehouse to shelf.

Do you do as I do and only take biscuit packs from the back of the
shelf, which is the least likely place for a shopper to replace a pack
they have just dropped?

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2019 09:36, nightjar wrote:
On 08/11/2019 20:32, Tim Lamb wrote:
Why is it the packs of Tucs cheese biscuits invariably arrive broken
or weakened such that they snap as the cheese is applied?

My guess is that shelf stackers play pass the parcel with them on the
journey from warehouse to shelf.

Do you do as I do and only take biscuit packs from the back of the
shelf, which is the least likely place for a shopper to replace a pack
they have just dropped?

I take EVERYTHING from the back of the shelf, all the freshest stuff is
there.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2019 09:34, alan_m wrote:
On 09/11/2019 09:08, Andy Bennet wrote:
On 09/11/2019 08:21, alan_m wrote:
On 09/11/2019 03:55, Rod Speed wrote:

You never use butter, you barbarian.

You don't need butter if you squeeze the cheese from a tube.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mature-Sque.../dp/B004E0H7FI

At last!
Real American Cheese!

Manufactured by Old Fashion Foods and it's "caffeine free"!

Fairly nutrition free too by some accounts.
Love the 1 star reviews...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2019 09:57, Andy Bennet wrote:
On 09/11/2019 09:36, nightjar wrote:
On 08/11/2019 20:32, Tim Lamb wrote:
Why is it the packs of Tucs cheese biscuits invariably arrive broken
or weakened such that they snap as the cheese is applied?

My guess is that shelf stackers play pass the parcel with them on the
journey from warehouse to shelf.

Do you do as I do and only take biscuit packs from the back of the
shelf, which is the least likely place for a shopper to replace a pack
they have just dropped?

I take EVERYTHING from the back of the shelf, all the freshest stuff is
there.

Even if you're going to consume it straight away? Rather selfish?

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2019 11:07, Max Demian wrote:
On 09/11/2019 09:57, Andy Bennet wrote:
On 09/11/2019 09:36, nightjar wrote:
On 08/11/2019 20:32, Tim Lamb wrote:
Why is it the packs of Tucs cheese biscuits invariably arrive broken
or weakened such that they snap as the cheese is applied?

My guess is that shelf stackers play pass the parcel with them on
the journey from warehouse to shelf.

Do you do as I do and only take biscuit packs from the back of the
shelf, which is the least likely place for a shopper to replace a
pack they have just dropped?

I take EVERYTHING from the back of the shelf, all the freshest stuff
is there.

Even if you're going to consume it straight away? Rather selfish?

Why is that more selfish than if going to consume later?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2019 11:07, Max Demian wrote:
On 09/11/2019 09:57, Andy Bennet wrote:
On 09/11/2019 09:36, nightjar wrote:
On 08/11/2019 20:32, Tim Lamb wrote:
Why is it the packs of Tucs cheese biscuits invariably arrive broken
or weakened such that they snap as the cheese is applied?

My guess is that shelf stackers play pass the parcel with them on
the journey from warehouse to shelf.

Do you do as I do and only take biscuit packs from the back of the
shelf, which is the least likely place for a shopper to replace a
pack they have just dropped?

I take EVERYTHING from the back of the shelf, all the freshest stuff
is there.

Even if you're going to consume it straight away? Rather selfish?

Not really, less stuff gets thrown away thus saving the planet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2019 21:43, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , "Brian Gaff (Sofa)"
writes
And I get the same issue with Ginger nuts, where they seem intact
until you
open the packet, then they turn to fragments.

Ah. Long experience has taught me to gently tap any biscuit prior to
dipping in a cup of tea:-)

I select the packet that is NOT at the front of the shelf.

These are ones that staff and customers have more likely to
have dropped on the floor and then replaced on the shelf :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Brian Gaff (Sofa)"
writes
Its not just dipping though its just untidy leaving crumbs everywhere. I'm
sure when they were in square packs with corrugated sides with the biscuits
flat this never was an issue

I remember those packets, too. Same packets were used for Lincoln and
Royal Scot biscuits. Haven't seen either of those for years.

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Max Demian wrote:
On 09/11/2019 09:57, Andy Bennet wrote:
On 09/11/2019 09:36, nightjar wrote:
On 08/11/2019 20:32, Tim Lamb wrote:
Why is it the packs of Tucs cheese biscuits invariably arrive broken
or weakened such that they snap as the cheese is applied?

My guess is that shelf stackers play pass the parcel with them on the
journey from warehouse to shelf.

Do you do as I do and only take biscuit packs from the back of the
shelf, which is the least likely place for a shopper to replace a pack
they have just dropped?

I take EVERYTHING from the back of the shelf, all the freshest stuff is
there.

Even if you're going to consume it straight away? Rather selfish?

I'd prefer not to have to throw away stuff at home because it's no longer
fresh. Let the supermarkets do that before I've paid their profits.

Of course this more applies to fresh fruit etc than biscuits.

--
*DON'T SWEAT THE PETTY THINGS AND DON'T PET THE SWEATY THINGS.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2019 11:07, Max Demian wrote:
On 09/11/2019 09:57, Andy Bennet wrote:
On 09/11/2019 09:36, nightjar wrote:
On 08/11/2019 20:32, Tim Lamb wrote:
Why is it the packs of Tucs cheese biscuits invariably arrive broken
or weakened such that they snap as the cheese is applied?

My guess is that shelf stackers play pass the parcel with them on
the journey from warehouse to shelf.

Do you do as I do and only take biscuit packs from the back of the
shelf, which is the least likely place for a shopper to replace a
pack they have just dropped?

I take EVERYTHING from the back of the shelf, all the freshest stuff
is there.

Even if you're going to consume it straight away? Rather selfish?

It leaves the option to change your mind, eat something else that night
and save what you have bought for another night.

We always go for the longest use by date to give us maximum flexibility
- especially as my wife is ill and often decides she's not up to eating
a full meal and will just have a snack and then I generally decide that
there is no point is cooking a proper meal just for me. It may then be
days before we get round to eating that item.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2019 08:56, Brian Reay wrote:
Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:
And I get the same issue with Ginger nuts, where they seem intact until you
open the packet, then they turn to fragments.
Brian

Cheese on ginger nuts, that is different ;-)

Cheese on Bourbons is nice once in a while.

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 01:59 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard is out of Bed and TROLLING, already!!!! LOL

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 01:59:39 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile troll****

Shut it, and get back to bed again, you clinically insane, sleepless,
trolling cretin!

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bev Bev is offline

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:
And I get the same issue with Ginger nuts, where they seem intact
until you open the packet, then they turn to fragments.
Brian

Cheese on ginger nuts, that is different ;-)

Cheese on Bourbons is nice once in a while.

Sounds like a variation of one of my favourites - a good quality blue
cheese on a dark chocolate digestive biscuit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2019 09:57, Andy Bennet wrote:
On 09/11/2019 09:36, nightjar wrote:
On 08/11/2019 20:32, Tim Lamb wrote:
Why is it the packs of Tucs cheese biscuits invariably arrive broken
or weakened such that they snap as the cheese is applied?

My guess is that shelf stackers play pass the parcel with them on the
journey from warehouse to shelf.

Do you do as I do and only take biscuit packs from the back of the
shelf, which is the least likely place for a shopper to replace a pack
they have just dropped?

I take EVERYTHING from the back of the shelf, all the freshest stuff is
there.

That is assuming that the shelf stackers are doing their job properly.
However, for fresh stuff, I often find that turnover is high enough that
everything on the shelf is the same date. For other stuff, like tinned
goods, it probably doesn't make a lot of difference. Tins may well end
up well past their best before date just sitting in my cupboard.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 9 November 2019 17:01:53 UTC, nightjar wrote:
Tins may well end up well past their best before date
just sitting in my cupboard.

I'm working my way through 72 tins of haggis I bought a few years ago when they were about 35p each :-)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 9 November 2019 08:56:36 UTC, Brian Reay wrote:
Cheese on ginger nuts, that is different ;-)

Might be quite nice, though.

Looking forward to christmas cake with cheese in January.

(Why in January - because they'll be half the price of buying them in December).

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
nightjar wrote:
[...]

some 15 years ago, we were staying in the hotel on a little Scottish island
and were in the shop looking at postcards, when an irate man went up to the
counter (he was probabaly from one of the camping families) and said "I
bought this tin yesterday and it's past its use-by date" The lady behind
the counter said 2So, I suppose you'll be wanting your money back, then?"
and gave it to him. Once he'd left the shop, the tin went back on the
shelf.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2019 12:07, Andy Bennet wrote:
On 09/11/2019 11:07, Max Demian wrote:
On 09/11/2019 09:57, Andy Bennet wrote:

I take EVERYTHING from the back of the shelf, all the freshest stuff
is there.

Even if you're going to consume it straight away? Rather selfish?

Not really, less stuff gets thrown away thus saving the planet.

More stuff gets thrown away by the shop if everyone does it.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 9 November 2019 17:31:41 UTC, Graeme wrote:
I'm not sure why dates are printed on tins. How did we survive before
the dates were printed?

We checked whether they were bulgy or putrifying, but occasionally we got it wrong.

I have a Big Book of Food Safety showing bulgy tins, mouldy yoghurts, decomposing chickens etc, from about the 1970s. Such things were quite common then. Food manufacturing has improved a lot and now it's quite rare to find actually defective food. Modern food might not have much taste or nutrition but it's less likely to kill you.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 9 November 2019 17:30:39 UTC, Graeme wrote:
You *buy* Christmas cakes? Shame on you - made ours earlier this week,
and yes, it is divine with cheese :-)

We gave up making christmas cakes as a family when there were so many power cuts, and it's an expensive waste losing a christmas cake half cooked in the oven. Also the shop ones have got better quality and value for money since then.

Might knock out a batch of mince pies though. I still have half a doz jars of mincemeat to use up (20p each I think, from about March).

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 9 November 2019 18:05:14 UTC, charles wrote:
Fruit cake with cheese is a standard Yorkshire 'thing'.

A good sharp cheese goes well with a pork pie too.

Owain

Light relief Muddymike UK diy 15 May 21st 16 06:46 PM
George! You'll mould units. Little by little, I'll cover the frog. Chris Friesen Woodworking 0 June 27th 06 07:31 AM
Little by little, Susanne never cleans until Jonnie nibbles the tired boat absolutely. Sis Woodworking 0 June 27th 06 06:28 AM
Little by little, Norma never teases until Ann behaves the new tailor eerily. Steve DeMars Woodworking 0 May 19th 06 11:34 PM
OT a little: How do you get those funky strain relief connectors off a table saw switch Clint Woodworking 4 October 31st 05 11:34 PM