Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default No timer on HW/CH system?

Combi boiler in a flat with just a room stat in the lounge (from what
I can see).

Can you get (at a reasonable cost) a simple Clock / timer stat for
such circumstances and if so, would / could they be battery powered,
assuming the stat isn't currently fed by mains?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 8 November 2019 18:14:27 UTC, T i m wrote:
Combi boiler in a flat with just a room stat in the lounge (from what
I can see).
Can you get (at a reasonable cost) a simple Clock / timer stat for
such circumstances and if so, would / could they be battery powered,
assuming the stat isn't currently fed by mains?

Programmable thermostat. £29 + VAT

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMTRT035.html

battery powered, contacts are changeover volt-free

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2019 18:14, T i m wrote:
Combi boiler in a flat with just a room stat in the lounge (from what
I can see).

Can you get (at a reasonable cost) a simple Clock / timer stat for
such circumstances and if so, would / could they be battery powered,
assuming the stat isn't currently fed by mains?

Cheers, T i m

An any modern electronic room stat provides timing. My controller box is
configured to be on for CH 100% of the time and my room stat provides
the timing with 4 off configurable on/off periods each with its own
temperature for both on and off.

While mine is a wireless module with the receiver fitted to the location
of my old "simple" thermostat the mains switching is achieved by use of
a relay. I assume any battery run thermostat will have a relay for any
mains voltage switching.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2019 19:28, ARW wrote:
On 08/11/2019 19:04, wrote:
On Friday, 8 November 2019 18:14:27 UTC, T i mÂ* wrote:
Combi boiler in a flat with just a room stat in the lounge (from what
I can see).
Can you get (at a reasonable cost) a simple Clock / timer stat for
such circumstances and if so, would / could they be battery powered,
assuming the stat isn't currently fed by mains?

Programmable thermostat. £29 + VAT

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMTRT035.html

battery powered, contacts are changeover volt-free

And the timer for the HW? (sorry Tim I am politely taking the **** - no
offence meant)

Its a cpmbi boiler with hot water on demand?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2019 19:43, alan_m wrote:
I assume any battery run thermostat will have a relay for any mains
voltage switching.

Better, they have a latching relay. So power is only drawn from the
battery when turning the relay on or off. No power is needed to hold the
relay in either state.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote in news:u3bbsetk0orskaor6bpurdf530ipbfee0a@
4ax.com:

Combi boiler in a flat with just a room stat in the lounge (from what
I can see).

Can you get (at a reasonable cost) a simple Clock / timer stat for
such circumstances and if so, would / could they be battery powered,
assuming the stat isn't currently fed by mains?

Cheers, T i m

/If you have programable temp control then you don't need a CH Timer. If
you have a combi then you don't need a DHW timer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I had a programmable thermostats timer from Maplins aeons ago.

Would I call it simple?

Not in terms of the kind of users I encounter in my day job!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not in terms of the kind of users I encounter in my day job!

But I'll bet that they could program their video recorder/hard disk PVR
to record their favourite soap episode or configure their mobile phone
for social media.

and put a dog's nose of their selfies.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 8 Nov 2019 11:04:14 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Friday, 8 November 2019 18:14:27 UTC, T i m wrote:
Combi boiler in a flat with just a room stat in the lounge (from what
I can see).
Can you get (at a reasonable cost) a simple Clock / timer stat for
such circumstances and if so, would / could they be battery powered,
assuming the stat isn't currently fed by mains?

Programmable thermostat. £29 + VAT

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMTRT035.html

battery powered, contacts are changeover volt-free

Excellent, thanks very much for that mate. It seems to tick all the
right boxes. ;-)

I think it would be used in the 5+2 day mode as one occupant has the
weekends off and the other two other days in the week (where it could
just be overridden)?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 8 Nov 2019 19:45:01 +0000, alan_m
wrote:

On 08/11/2019 19:28, ARW wrote:
On 08/11/2019 19:04, wrote:
On Friday, 8 November 2019 18:14:27 UTC, T i m* wrote:
Combi boiler in a flat with just a room stat in the lounge (from what
I can see).
Can you get (at a reasonable cost) a simple Clock / timer stat for
such circumstances and if so, would / could they be battery powered,
assuming the stat isn't currently fed by mains?

Programmable thermostat. £29 + VAT

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMTRT035.html

battery powered, contacts are changeover volt-free

And the timer for the HW? (sorry Tim I am politely taking the **** - no
offence meant)

Its a cpmbi boiler with hot water on demand?

I think Adam was trying to be funny. I put HW/CH in the title because
the boiler does both so I threw that in *in case* there was some
special reason there wasn't a timer for the CH already.

Like a fridge needing the heat of an incandescent lamp or a boiler
coming on on it's own to prevent freezing etc.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 9 November 2019 11:29:55 UTC, T i m wrote:
Like a fridge needing the heat of an incandescent lamp

Mine's got LEDs :-)

Modern boilers will have a frost stat internally but if yours doesn't you can check the instructions for that prog stat to see if it does.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 8 November 2019 19:44:04 UTC, alan_m wrote:

An any modern electronic room stat provides timing. My controller box is

you can get just stats & you can get programmable stats. Only the latter do timing. Beware of crap UIs.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 9 November 2019 12:59:42 UTC, Graham. wrote:
If the thermostat or programmer is hard wired and switching mains,
surely it would be mains driven, and wouldn't need a battery
other than for power fail backup?

Not always. Many modern ones are volt free contacts so there is no connection between the relay contacts and the internal gubbins, which are battery powered.

Means there is no requirement for a neutral at the stat location, just L and Call.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

--
__
%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2019 13:00, Graham. wrote:
mm0fmf Wrote in message:
On 08/11/2019 19:43, alan_m wrote:
I assume any battery run thermostat will have a relay for any mains
voltage switching.

Better, they have a latching relay. So power is only drawn from the
battery when turning the relay on or off. No power is needed to hold the
relay in either state.

If the thermostat or programmer is hard wired and switching mains,
surely it would be mains driven, and wouldn't need a battery
other than for power fail backup?

Most of these electronic room thermostats cater for a variety of
different configurations so may use battery for electronics and a
mechanical relay for switching.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

You are talking ********:-)

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 9 Nov 2019 16:26:00 +0000, ARW
wrote:

snip

Its a cpmbi boiler with hot water on demand?

I think Adam was trying to be funny. I put HW/CH in the title because
the boiler does both so I threw that in *in case* there was some
special reason there wasn't a timer for the CH already.

Like a fridge needing the heat of an incandescent lamp or a boiler
coming on on it's own to prevent freezing etc.

You are talking ********:-)

Care to dig any deeper?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 09/11/2019 22:50, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 9 Nov 2019 16:26:00 +0000, ARW
wrote:

snip

Its a cpmbi boiler with hot water on demand?

I think Adam was trying to be funny. I put HW/CH in the title because
the boiler does both so I threw that in *in case* there was some
special reason there wasn't a timer for the CH already.

Like a fridge needing the heat of an incandescent lamp or a boiler
coming on on it's own to prevent freezing etc.

You are talking ********:-)

Care to dig any deeper?

Can I borrow your spade?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2019 06:59, ARW wrote:
On 09/11/2019 22:50, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 9 Nov 2019 16:26:00 +0000, ARW
wrote:

snip

Its a cpmbi boiler with hot water on demand?

I think Adam was trying to be funny. I put HW/CH in the title because
the boiler does both so I threw that in *in case* there was some
special reason there wasn't a timer for the CH already.

Like a fridge needing the heat of an incandescent lamp or a boiler
coming on on it's own to prevent freezing etc.

You are talking ********:-)

Care to dig any deeper?

Can I borrow your spade?

He'll call it a fork.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 06:59:09 +0000, ARW
wrote:

On 09/11/2019 22:50, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 9 Nov 2019 16:26:00 +0000, ARW
wrote:

snip

Its a cpmbi boiler with hot water on demand?

I think Adam was trying to be funny. I put HW/CH in the title because
the boiler does both so I threw that in *in case* there was some
special reason there wasn't a timer for the CH already.

Like a fridge needing the heat of an incandescent lamp or a boiler
coming on on it's own to prevent freezing etc.

You are talking ********:-)

Care to dig any deeper?

Can I borrow your spade?

Sure, I'm not using it. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Friday, 8 November 2019 18:14:27 UTC, T i m wrote:
Combi boiler in a flat with just a room stat in the lounge (from what
I can see).
Can you get (at a reasonable cost) a simple Clock / timer stat for
such circumstances and if so, would / could they be battery powered,
assuming the stat isn't currently fed by mains?

Programmable thermostat. £29 + VAT

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMTRT035.html

battery powered, contacts are changeover volt-free

Excellent, thanks very much for that mate. It seems to tick all the
right boxes. ;-)

I think it would be used in the 5+2 day mode as one occupant has the
weekends off and the other two other days in the week (where it could
just be overridden)?

Having a look though the instructions I'm not sure if this unit is as
'flexible' as I might have hoped, or maybe it is but I just wasn't
expecting it to work this way ...

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technic...structions.pdf

"10.
Programming Time/Temperature Periods
Note:

There are no OFF periods with this controller. As soon as a Start time
begins, heat will be demanded until the temperature reaches/falls to
the selected set point, then it will move on to the next Start
time/temperature period, and so on. The closest you can get to turning
the TRT035N programmable thermostat OFF, will be to set the selected
period(s) to 10°C, this way the heating will not turn ON unless the
temperature drops below these set points.

If you do not want a higher temperature period in the middle off the
day, adjust the temperature for this period downward, to match those
of the proceeding and subsequent period temperatures."

Anyone care to put that into user friendly terms please?

Like, I would have thought you could set the on / off times and the
temperatures for each time. That you could also override it (either
way) at any time, or tweak the temp and it would revert back to the
pre-programmed routine at the next time interval?

Maybe that's what it can do but the translation makes it sound more
complicated?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 08:20:05 +0000, Richard
wrote:

On 10/11/2019 06:59, ARW wrote:
On 09/11/2019 22:50, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 9 Nov 2019 16:26:00 +0000, ARW
wrote:

snip

Its a cpmbi boiler with hot water on demand?

I think Adam was trying to be funny. I put HW/CH in the title because
the boiler does both so I threw that in *in case* there was some
special reason there wasn't a timer for the CH already.

Like a fridge needing the heat of an incandescent lamp or a boiler
coming on on it's own to prevent freezing etc.

You are talking ********:-)

Care to dig any deeper?

Can I borrow your spade?

He'll call it a fork.

Aww Dicky, you are *soo* funny!

Seeing as you have jumped onto the bandwagon (/thrown yourself under
the bus more like), care to explain why Adam might think either of the
statements above were bollox? (Unless 'a cpmbi boiler' is an actual
thing?)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

Anyone care to put that into user friendly terms please?

It's never off, just think of it as a frost-stat at all times when you
don't set higher required temperatures ...

e.g set 20 for 7am to get up, then 15 for 9am after you leave the house,
18 for 5pm when you return and 10 from 10pm for overnight, then you can
boost it by the odd degree or two for the odd hour or two as required.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

€¢
[...]

Rry:

"Don't think in terms of turning the heating "on" and "off".

Think in terms of setting the temperature for different periods
throughout the say.

You can set the temperature as low as 10 degrees. That's "off" for most
purposes. But the heating /will/ still come on if it gets colder than
that."

I've installed a few similar for people who've had no trouble in
practice with the way they work - especially with the help of diagrams
like the one on page 10. And some of them have been people I'd have
said were more suited to deciding what colour the wheel should be than
installing heating systems (or indeed lecturing on neuroscience).

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Id seriously consider a Hive (or similar) system. You can then set things
to a profile which matches your needs and, best of all, turn it on/off
remotely via your phone etc.

If, for example, we go out for the day we can turn off the heating and turn
it on remotely when we are heading back. When we are returning from trips (
holidays) I turn on the hot water ( and heating if needed) so we can have a
shower etc.

You can set it up for anti-frost etc. , to automatically detect when
everyone has left the house ( using their phones), when someone is
returning, .....

You can add individual radiator valves to control each room - electronic
thermostatic valves with a remote override.

Even, should you like gadgets, control the temperature via Alexa etc with
your voice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 10:15:21 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

T i m wrote:

Anyone care to put that into user friendly terms please?

It's never off, just think of it as a frost-stat at all times when you
don't set higher required temperatures ...

Ok ...

e.g set 20 for 7am to get up, then 15 for 9am after you leave the house,
18 for 5pm when you return and 10 from 10pm for overnight, then you can
boost it by the odd degree or two for the odd hour or two as required.

Ok, that sounds reasonable, thanks. ;-)

FWIW, (I have since found out) the existing stat is a Honeywell T40.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 10:31:01 +0000, Robin wrote:

snip

"Don't think in terms of turning the heating "on" and "off".

Think in terms of setting the temperature for different periods
throughout the say.

You can set the temperature as low as 10 degrees. That's "off" for most
purposes. But the heating /will/ still come on if it gets colder than
that."

I've installed a few similar for people who've had no trouble in
practice with the way they work - especially with the help of diagrams
like the one on page 10.

Thanks, I just wanted to check that the way it worked was
'reasonable', rather than getting and fitting it and then having
people ask, 'who sold you that then'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 11:50:58 +0000 (UTC), Brian Reay
wrote:

snip

I’d seriously consider a Hive (or similar) system.

I'm not sure that would tick the VFM box Brian, especially for a
rented flat. ;-)

You can then set things
to a profile which matches your needs and, best of all, turn it on/off
remotely via your phone etc.

If, for example, we go out for the day we can turn off the heating and turn
it on remotely when we are heading back. When we are returning from trips (
holidays) I turn on the hot water ( and heating if needed) so we can have a
shower etc.

You can set it up for anti-frost etc. , to automatically detect when
everyone has left the house ( using their phones), when someone is
returning, .....

You can add individual radiator valves to control each room - electronic
thermostatic valves with a remote override.

It sounds 'clever' that's for sure, just overkill for this scenario.
The purpose was to try to offset the cost of running the CH when the
flat was unoccupied (by not or running it at a lower temperature
(automatically, if they forget to turn the stat down) to have it
warmer when they are there.

Even, should you like gadgets, control the temperature via Alexa etc with
your voice.

Oh, I love gadgets and have a couple of Google Home / Mini here, one
unplugged and one still in it's box (a gift).

Gotta go, my 3D printing design should be finished. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 11:50:58 +0000 (UTC), Brian Reay
wrote:

snip

IÂ’d seriously consider a Hive (or similar) system.

I'm not sure that would tick the VFM box Brian, especially for a
rented flat. ;-)

Easy enough to take with you.

The system is in three bits. The bit which connects to the internet is
intended to be taken to your next house as I understand the system as it is
linked to YOU. When middle daughter bought a house with Hive, they had to
buy the Internet link box as the previous owner had taken it.

The other two bits are the room stat and the boiler interface. All three
link wirelessly.

I think the full system was about £150 ( unfitted) for a version compatible
with a fully pumped CH and hot water system. The interface just clips to
the standard controller backplate in most cases, sometimes you need to
change one wire. Then it is just a few buttons to press and setting up a
free account with Hive for remote access.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 12:42:42 +0000 (UTC), Brian Reay
wrote:

T i m wrote:
On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 11:50:58 +0000 (UTC), Brian Reay
wrote:

snip

I?d seriously consider a Hive (or similar) system.

I'm not sure that would tick the VFM box Brian, especially for a
rented flat. ;-)

Easy enough to take with you.

Ok.

The system is in three bits. The bit which connects to the internet is
intended to be taken to your next house as I understand the system as it is
linked to YOU. When middle daughter bought a house with Hive, they had to
buy the Internet link box as the previous owner had taken it.

Ok.

The other two bits are the room stat and the boiler interface. All three
link wirelessly.

Ok, that makes things easier (especially in a rented place).

I think the full system was about £150 ( unfitted) for a version compatible
with a fully pumped CH and hot water system. The interface just clips to
the standard controller backplate in most cases, sometimes you need to
change one wire. Then it is just a few buttons to press and setting up a
free account with Hive for remote access.

Might be worth a look I guess.

I assume you can also 'view' the current settings remotely, in case
someone else was home when they might not normally be (in case you
thought you had left the heating on)?

So, two occupants with smartphones, would it know when each was in and
(say) turn the heating off (down) when neither was present?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

The most boring instructional video I've seen in a long time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zfWEVtL5Co

No off periods but you could set every other start temperature to, say,
5 C which will effectively turn the CH off unless the pipes are about to
freeze.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

On 09/11/2019 22:50, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 9 Nov 2019 16:26:00 +0000, ARW
wrote:

snip

Its a cpmbi boiler with hot water on demand?

I think Adam was trying to be funny. I put HW/CH in the title because
the boiler does both so I threw that in *in case* there was some
special reason there wasn't a timer for the CH already.

Like a fridge needing the heat of an incandescent lamp or a boiler
coming on on it's own to prevent freezing etc.

You are talking ********:-)

Care to dig any deeper?

Can I borrow your spade?

Sure, I'm not using it. ;-)

I doubt you have finished with it.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

On 10/11/2019 06:59, ARW wrote:
On 09/11/2019 22:50, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 9 Nov 2019 16:26:00 +0000, ARW
wrote:

snip

Its a cpmbi boiler with hot water on demand?

I think Adam was trying to be funny. I put HW/CH in the title because
the boiler does both so I threw that in *in case* there was some
special reason there wasn't a timer for the CH already.

Like a fridge needing the heat of an incandescent lamp or a boiler
coming on on it's own to prevent freezing etc.

You are talking ********:-)

Care to dig any deeper?

Can I borrow your spade?

He'll call it a fork.

Aww Dicky, you are *soo* funny!

Seeing as you have jumped onto the bandwagon (/thrown yourself under
the bus more like), care to explain why Adam might think either of the
statements above were bollox? (Unless 'a cpmbi boiler' is an actual
thing?)

Cheers, T i m

I politely took the ****.

But can I borrow your fork?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

T i m wrote:
On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 11:50:58 +0000 (UTC), Brian Reay
wrote:

snip

[...]

Yes.

So, two occupants with smartphones, would it know when each was in and
(say) turn the heating off (down) when neither was present?

You can set it up so it goes off when both (or more ) leave. When one
approaches (I cant recall how close, I think 1/4 mile) the system turns
on.

I could turn the heating down (or off) if I was out but Senior Management
was home but she wouldnt be impressed. ;-)

You can also see a €˜history of your room temp by day, week etc which is
quite interesting and useful to set up your timing cycle. I was surprised
how long the house stayed warm (ie at the set temp) after I set the heating
to off in the evening. You can have several timing periods per day - not
sure what the limit is.

Im sure other systems offer similar functionality, I just happen to have
settled on Hive. I suspect they are similar to install etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 14:53:23 +0000, ARW
wrote:

snip

I politely took the ****.

I know, you said, but how though (and IDGAF about 'polite')?

But can I borrow your fork?

Of course, if it helps you dig. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 15:05:20 +0000 (UTC), Brian Reay
wrote:

snip

Might be worth a look I guess.

I assume you can also 'view' the current settings remotely, in case
someone else was home when they might not normally be (in case you
thought you had left the heating on)?

Yes.

Ok.

So, two occupants with smartphones, would it know when each was in and
(say) turn the heating off (down) when neither was present?

You can set it up so it goes off when both (or more ) leave. When one
approaches (I can’t recall how close, I think 1/4 mile) the system turns
on.

And I'm guessing you can still have a reasonable 'frost' setting for
when the dog is left there (or give the dog a smartphone). ;-)

I could turn the heating down (or off) if I was out but Senior Management
was home but she wouldn’t be impressed. ;-)

Quite.

Him. "Get yer coat on."
Her. "Oooh, are we going out?"
Him. "No, I'm going up the pub and turning the heating off ... "

You can also see a ‘history’ of your room temp by day, week etc which is
quite interesting and useful to set up your timing cycle. I was surprised
how long the house stayed warm (ie at the set temp) after I set the heating
to off in the evening.

Yeah, the flat in question seems to warm up quickly and stay warm
reasonably well as well. It must help being a flat and could gain from
the warmth from below and the insulation from above?

You can have several timing periods per day - not
sure what the limit is.

I guess that wouldn't be such an issue if you hard the option of
remote control in advance (assuming you remember etc).

I’m sure other systems offer similar functionality, I just happen to have
settled on Hive. I suspect they are similar to install etc.

I think Hive was one of the first wasn't it?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

snip

Might be worth a look I guess.

I assume you can also 'view' the current settings remotely, in case
someone else was home when they might not normally be (in case you
thought you had left the heating on)?

Yes.

Ok.

So, two occupants with smartphones, would it know when each was in and
(say) turn the heating off (down) when neither was present?

You can set it up so it goes off when both (or more ) leave. When one
approaches (I canÂ’t recall how close, I think 1/4 mile) the system turns
on.

And I'm guessing you can still have a reasonable 'frost' setting for
when the dog is left there (or give the dog a smartphone). ;-)

The default is 7 dog but you can set it to whatever you like, it is just
like one of the normal setting periods.

I could turn the heating down (or off) if I was out but Senior Management
was home but she wouldnÂ’t be impressed. ;-)

Quite.

Him. "Get yer coat on."
Her. "Oooh, are we going out?"
Him. "No, I'm going up the pub and turning the heating off ... "

ROTFL

You can also see a ‘history’ of your room temp by day, week etc which is
quite interesting and useful to set up your timing cycle. I was surprised
how long the house stayed warm (ie at the set temp) after I set the heating
to off in the evening.

Yeah, the flat in question seems to warm up quickly and stay warm
reasonably well as well. It must help being a flat and could gain from
the warmth from below and the insulation from above?

In a flat yes. We have cavity wall insulation (when the house was built)
and good loft insulation etc.

You can have several timing periods per day - not
sure what the limit is.

I guess that wouldn't be such an issue if you hard the option of
remote control in advance (assuming you remember etc).

IÂ’m sure other systems offer similar functionality, I just happen to have
settled on Hive. I suspect they are similar to install etc.

I think Hive was one of the first wasn't it?

I think so.