Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay[_6_] Brian Reay[_6_] is offline

Default No timer on HW/CH system?

Robin wrote:
On 10/11/2019 10:02, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 09 Nov 2019 11:25:13 +0000, T i m wrote:

On Fri, 8 Nov 2019 11:04:14 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Friday, 8 November 2019 18:14:27 UTC, T i m wrote:
Combi boiler in a flat with just a room stat in the lounge (from what
I can see).
Can you get (at a reasonable cost) a simple Clock / timer stat for
such circumstances and if so, would / could they be battery powered,
assuming the stat isn't currently fed by mains?

Programmable thermostat. £29 + VAT

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMTRT035.html

battery powered, contacts are changeover volt-free

Excellent, thanks very much for that mate. It seems to tick all the
right boxes. ;-)

I think it would be used in the 5+2 day mode as one occupant has the
weekends off and the other two other days in the week (where it could
just be overridden)?

Having a look though the instructions I'm not sure if this unit is as
'flexible' as I might have hoped, or maybe it is but I just wasn't
expecting it to work this way ...

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technic...structions.pdf

"10.
Programming Time/Temperature Periods
Note:
€¢
There are no OFF periods with this controller. As soon as a Start time
begins, heat will be demanded until the temperature reaches/falls to
the selected set point, then it will move on to the next Start
time/temperature period, and so on. The closest you can get to turning
the TRT035N programmable thermostat OFF, will be to set the selected
period(s) to 10°C, this way the heating will not turn ON unless the
temperature drops below these set points.
€¢
If you do not want a higher temperature period in the middle off the
day, adjust the temperature for this period downward, to match those
of the proceeding and subsequent period temperatures."

Anyone care to put that into user friendly terms please?

Like, I would have thought you could set the on / off times and the
temperatures for each time. That you could also override it (either
way) at any time, or tweak the temp and it would revert back to the
pre-programmed routine at the next time interval?

Maybe that's what it can do but the translation makes it sound more
complicated?
Rry:

"Don't think in terms of turning the heating "on" and "off".

Think in terms of setting the temperature for different periods
throughout the say.

You can set the temperature as low as 10 degrees. That's "off" for most
purposes. But the heating /will/ still come on if it gets colder than
that."

I've installed a few similar for people who've had no trouble in
practice with the way they work - especially with the help of diagrams
like the one on page 10. And some of them have been people I'd have
said were more suited to deciding what colour the wheel should be than
installing heating systems (or indeed lecturing on neuroscience).

Id seriously consider a Hive (or similar) system. You can then set things
to a profile which matches your needs and, best of all, turn it on/off
remotely via your phone etc.

If, for example, we go out for the day we can turn off the heating and turn
it on remotely when we are heading back. When we are returning from trips (
holidays) I turn on the hot water ( and heating if needed) so we can have a
shower etc.

You can set it up for anti-frost etc. , to automatically detect when
everyone has left the house ( using their phones), when someone is
returning, .....

You can add individual radiator valves to control each room - electronic
thermostatic valves with a remote override.

Even, should you like gadgets, control the temperature via Alexa etc with
your voice.